Author Topic: Durant... amazing how one player just upended the competition  (Read 7281 times)

Re: Durant... amazing how one player just upended the competition
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2018, 10:42:41 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
Durant going to the warriors was a loser move. He just blew a 3-1 lead to the warriors then jumps ship to go join them because it would be easier. It is going to take another super-team to beat them. Which is why I could see Lebron go join the Rockets.

I think the celtics could give them a run next year. Kyrie/Brown/Hayward/Tatum/Horford....with a bench of Rozier/Smart/Morris/Baynes could match up pretty well. We always seem to play the warriors close

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2018, 11:05:02 PM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
A. Durant's "Legacy" is similar to Scottie Pippins "Legacy" - who cares.. (he sure as heck doesn't)

B. Who cares that GoldenState is Stacked.. Go beat them... That's what sports are all about...

To the question raised in B (Who cares that Golden State is stacked)  - The answer -> any one who cares about/follows NBA basketball.  A 73 win team adding an MVP caliber player in his prime is anti-competiitive - quite simply.

"Go beat them" - here's the problem.  Durant-like commodities are rare.  And already-built teams with flexibility/cap space to add Durant-level players are even more rare.

Durant to GS was an uncommon opportunity and a game-changer for the NBA's competitive landscape.

It's unfortunate if you're anything but a fan of the Warriors.   

Durant was Destined to be on a Team with 2 super Elite players.. When he came into the league he was on a team with Harden the Russ.. (That team was a Team with 3 Potential League MVPS)  Had that Team stayed together we would be talking about them in the same vein as we Do GS.  So again, who cares that he plays with Tiny Ankles in GS...

Durant is a special talent - the league just needs to deal with it. Fans just need to deal with it... (And if Curry goes down that team will not win)

IF the Celtics next year get lucky in the Draft (top 3) should the league try to break us up in a couple of years because we have 3 super talented guys on the team?

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2018, 11:11:15 PM »

Offline Kevins Gamble

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 21
I think you're both pretty.

You can think the NBA shouldn't have stepped in to stop the Durant signing just because it was incredibly advantageous to one team...and still view all of Durant's current and future accomplishments as watered-down shadows of other great players.

If you want the league to step in...where does that stop?  When does this competition council get called in and when does it not?  Just because some of other owners are worried about how good a team has become?  Would they have stepped in to stop the Garnett trade?  The Brooklyn heist?  Think about how great we already are without Irving and Hayward...and with our young prospects and future draft picks.  What if we had beat the odds last week and nailed the #2 pick in this year's draft?  Should Gilbert and Cuban been able to step in and take that from us because it would be unfair to the rest of the league?

They have rules in place to protect franchises from destroying themselves...but stopping one franchise from legally adding to their dominance would be a new thing for this (or any) league.
"AAAAAHAHAAAAHHAAA....take that with your beard....AAAAHHHHAAHHHAAHHAAH..YAAAHHHAHAHAH!!!"
- Cedric Maxwell, Esq

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2018, 12:00:52 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310

Ah the English language, where one extra letter turns an insult into an awkward compliment lol.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 12:20:33 AM by slightly biased bias fan »

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2018, 12:05:19 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
We'll see changes to FA to discourage elite players taking less to group together in the future, IMO. The GSW are costing the league a ton of $$$. I read that the difference last year in a 7 game vs. 5 game finals was over $100 million in advertising revenue.

If GSW walks all over the ECF winner, we may see changes soon. Having GSW win a 5 game non-competitive WCF, and then a 4/5 game non-competitive finals would be a financial trainwreck for the league. It hurts everyone, teams, broadcasters and players. I don't know what form it will take, but changes are coming.

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2018, 12:22:19 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

Ah the English language, where one extra letter turns an insult into an awkward compliment lol.
tp

I’m crying

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2018, 12:30:21 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
We can call KD the Snakeman for what he has done to the league by joining the GS bandwagon but we should all remember who architect this move and if so should be the one being banned by the league.... Jerry West.

Look back you see we were oh so tantalizingly close to signing KD.. But that voodoo of a GM did his thing, said magical chant over the phone to Durant and sonehow convinced him going to Boston will not be the best for him.

This was Mr. Logo's final blockbuster move for the Warriors before abandoning ship... I don't even recall if he was even there during the meeting with KD but somehow perhaps knew thru some back channellings that KD was ready to sign with Boston and being the Logo that he is who despises the Celtics.. Had to do something and swoop in to snag Durant.

All just revisionist history now as we all say but man... Watching one team one team year in and year out winning the championship is indeed boring.. We need to go back to the 70s...Not one team won back to back in the entire decade and the league was sort of ruled by at least 5 teams who alternated winning the title.

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2018, 12:30:43 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
Kevin Durant is in his eleventh year in the NBA and has one title. I acknowledge he is likely on his way to his second. However, next season he will be 30 years old and entering his twelfth season with a lot of wear and tear on the hardwood. While this Warriors team may seem like an unstoppable force now, they will likely be genuinely vulnerable in just a couple years. Age and miles slow down everyone, even the great ones. Let the Warriors have their moment. They have earned it. They are a great team, with great players, and play basketball the right way. But make no mistake. It won't last forever. It never does, and it usually ends quicker than expected. This is not the 1960s Celtics. Curry and Durant are not finishing their careers with 11 rings. I would actually be surprised if Durant has any more than 3 rings by the time he retires.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 12:36:00 AM by KungPoweChicken »

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2018, 12:33:19 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Max Kellerman's argument that we need to have more superteams - so the playoffs are more exciting seems like a good idea. Just all-star games starting in the second round

"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2018, 12:39:24 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Max Kellerman's argument that we need to have more superteams - so the playoffs are more exciting seems like a good idea. Just all-star games starting in the second round
So like, 6 super teams and 24 scrub teams? That sounds awfully boring
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2018, 12:40:46 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Honestly, Durant can go on to win 5 rings, but no one will care. No one will respect it.

As much as I despise Lebron, his 1 ring with Cleveland will be worth more than any and all rings Durant wins in his career as a Warrior.

Might sound harsh, but that's how I feel about it, and I'm sure many do. Weakest move in NBA History as of today. If Lebron joins Golden State, then that would become the weakest  :P

I think that's the difference between LeBum and KD - LeBum wants to be THE MAN, he wants the responsibility of being the one that molds a team. I think KD is more comfortable being one of the men. He's not the type of person who will take a team and mold it in his image.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2018, 12:42:33 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362

Max may have been watching too much English Premier League (or the other European soccer leagues). Few superteams at the top with a chance to win and the rest of the teams cannon fodder. So there's a few mouthwatering clashes and the rest of the games are meaningless.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2018, 12:43:18 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
level in the league..the NBA should have found a way to nix him signing with GSW...At the time he signed it seemed they did not need him, but looks like they would be ‘human’ without him. For those who think the league shouldn’t interfere what if Kebron signs with GSW after this season.

Yeesh, I have to say I disagree with all of this.

1. No, the league should not have "found a way to nix" Durant signing with GSW.  They had cap space, Durant was a free agent, and all parties involved played by the rules.  GSW was both lucky and smart, but nothing they did was unfair.

2. GSW had just lost in the Finals, and one could argue it was the signing of Durant that made the difference between them beating losing to the Cavs or beating them.  The year GSW beat the Cavs, the Cavs were without both Irving and Love during the Finals.  So, in that regard, GSW did in fact need Durant.

3. If LeBron wants to sign with GSW, I see no reason the league should interfere, as long as neither side does anything against the rules.  Free agents are free to sign with whichever team they want, for any salary the rules allow for.  The players union might protest if LeBron did something like take the minimum, but if he really wanted to press the matter there is nothing anyone can, or should, do (aside from mocking him).

Honestly, Durant can go on to win 5 rings, but no one will care. No one will respect it.

I absolutely respect Durant for choosing to ditch Westbrook and join a team that actually plays as a team.  And as I said above, Durant was the difference between GSW losing to a healthy Cavs team the year before without him, and then beating them once he came along.  He earned his Finals MVP.
if “all sides followed the rules” is the only condition needed to withhold nixing deals, why did David stern veto the “cp3 to the lakers” deal? The deal happened and the commissioner used his power to end the deal.

David Stern nixed the CP3 to the Lakers deal because he felt that deal was not in the best interest of the Pelicans (Hornets at the time), not because it was against the rules.  Stern wasn't acting as commissioner of the league in that case, but more as the defacto owner of the team.

Not totally true....it was the owners led by Cuban and Gilbert that squashed the deal, the league office would have said yes. So if there was a best interest of basketball rule at that time they could have found something to say no to Durant’s pursie move.
Question:  didn’t the league veto the trade as the de facto owner of the hornets?  I don’t believe he stopped it using some power in the best interest of the league (assuming that kind of power actually exist).  The nba doesn’t own the warriors and Durant wasn’t traded so how exactly can they stop the move?

Second, as I recall, the trade was vetoed by stern because he thought the hornets should trade for youth/picks (and rebuild), not for two veterans (Odom and Gasol?) making big salaries.  He didn’t want a bloated payroll for a prospective owner to assume.

And, didn’t the decision essentially lead to the hornets getting A Davis?  So it was the right move for the team.

So yeah, much much different situation than the Durant situation.

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2018, 12:46:14 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Parity is more boring.

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2018, 01:01:15 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
If you don't like the product, don't watch.  Which is what I will do if the Celtics are eliminated. If I know who's winning and the games are not competitive I have better things to do with my free time.  I do think a lot of people will look at it that way.

That's the reason NASCAR's ratings are down so much - the races are boring because the same guys finish at the top week after week.

I think I've watched one Warriors game that didn't involve the Celtics this year and it was Game 2 vs Houston.  I don't think I've missed much. This GS team does nothing for me.