Around the League > Around the NBA

Durant... amazing how one player just upended the competition

(1/16) > >>

Ogaju:
level in the league..the NBA should have found a way to nix him signing with GSW...At the time he signed it seemed they did not need him, but looks like they would be ‘human’ without him. For those who think the league shouldn’t interfere what if Kebron signs with GSW after this season.

Phantom255x:
Honestly, Durant can go on to win 5 rings, but no one will care. No one will respect it.

As much as I despise Lebron, his 1 ring with Cleveland will be worth more than any and all rings Durant wins in his career as a Warrior.

Might sound harsh, but that's how I feel about it, and I'm sure many do. Weakest move in NBA History as of today. If Lebron joins Golden State, then that would become the weakest  :P

KGs Knee:

--- Quote from: Ogaju on May 20, 2018, 09:31:19 PM ---level in the league..the NBA should have found a way to nix him signing with GSW...At the time he signed it seemed they did not need him, but looks like they would be ‘human’ without him. For those who think the league shouldn’t interfere what if Kebron signs with GSW after this season.

--- End quote ---

Yeesh, I have to say I disagree with all of this.

1. No, the league should not have "found a way to nix" Durant signing with GSW.  They had cap space, Durant was a free agent, and all parties involved played by the rules.  GSW was both lucky and smart, but nothing they did was unfair.

2. GSW had just lost in the Finals, and one could argue it was the signing of Durant that made the difference between them beating losing to the Cavs or beating them.  The year GSW beat the Cavs, the Cavs were without both Irving and Love during the Finals.  So, in that regard, GSW did in fact need Durant.

3. If LeBron wants to sign with GSW, I see no reason the league should interfere, as long as neither side does anything against the rules.  Free agents are free to sign with whichever team they want, for any salary the rules allow for.  The players union might protest if LeBron did something like take the minimum, but if he really wanted to press the matter there is nothing anyone can, or should, do (aside from mocking him).

--- Quote from: Phantom255x on May 20, 2018, 09:34:59 PM ---Honestly, Durant can go on to win 5 rings, but no one will care. No one will respect it.

--- End quote ---

I absolutely respect Durant for choosing to ditch Westbrook and join a team that actually plays as a team.  And as I said above, Durant was the difference between GSW losing to a healthy Cavs team the year before without him, and then beating them once he came along.  He earned his Finals MVP.

Ogaju:

--- Quote from: KGs Knee on May 20, 2018, 09:42:53 PM ---
--- Quote from: Ogaju on May 20, 2018, 09:31:19 PM ---level in the league..the NBA should have found a way to nix him signing with GSW...At the time he signed it seemed they did not need him, but looks like they would be ‘human’ without him. For those who think the league shouldn’t interfere what if Kebron signs with GSW after this season.

--- End quote ---

Yeesh, I have to say I disagree with all of this.

1. No, the league should not have "found a way to nix" Durant signing with GSW.  They had cap space, Durant was a free agent, and all parties involved played by the rules.  GSW was both lucky and smart, but nothing they did was unfair.

2. GSW had just lost in the Finals, and one could argue it was the signing of Durant that made the difference between them beating losing to the Cavs or beating them.  The year GSW beat the Cavs, the Cavs were without both Irving and Love during the Finals.  So, in that regard, GSW did in fact need Durant.

3. If LeBron wants to sign with GSW, I see no reason the league should interfere, as long as neither side does anything against the rules.  Free agents are free to sign with whichever team they want, for any salary the rules allow for.  The players union might protest if LeBron did something like take the minimum, but if he really wanted to press the matter there is nothing anyone can, or should, do (aside from mocking him).

--- Quote from: Phantom255x on May 20, 2018, 09:34:59 PM ---Honestly, Durant can go on to win 5 rings, but no one will care. No one will respect it.

--- End quote ---

I absolutely respect Durant for choosing to ditch Westbrook and join a team that actually plays as a team.  And as I said above, Durant was the difference between GSW losing to a healthy Cavs team the year before without him, and then beating them once he came along.  He earned his Finals MVP.

--- End quote ---

Didn’t he structure his deal so GSW could afford a decent bench? That is circumventing the spirit of the salary cap.

perks-a-beast:
This is probably the worst thing to happen to the NBA in quite some time. If the Celtics weren't a great story to follow I wouldn't pay any mind to the NBA because it's a one team league and it's not fun to watch for the most part. In the early 00's, people had a pretty good idea that the Lakers would win every year, but there were always teams to give them a good run - spurs, kings, blazers to name a few. There simply isn't another team, unless another super team is formed, to take down this team that's rolling out every night with 4 all stars. They make it work within the confines of the salary cap so good for them, but Durants legacy is absolutely tarnished if you ask me. Winning 7 titles with this team won't negate the fact that he was up on the warriors 3-1 2 years ago, while playing with another all time great, couldn't get the job done, and jumps ship to go to that team - who by the way won 73 games that season. It's a joke.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version