Author Topic: Durant... amazing how one player just upended the competition  (Read 7272 times)

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
level in the league..the NBA should have found a way to nix him signing with GSW...At the time he signed it seemed they did not need him, but looks like they would be ‘human’ without him. For those who think the league shouldn’t interfere what if Kebron signs with GSW after this season.

Re: Durant... amazing how one player just upended the competition
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 09:34:59 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Honestly, Durant can go on to win 5 rings, but no one will care. No one will respect it.

As much as I despise Lebron, his 1 ring with Cleveland will be worth more than any and all rings Durant wins in his career as a Warrior.

Might sound harsh, but that's how I feel about it, and I'm sure many do. Weakest move in NBA History as of today. If Lebron joins Golden State, then that would become the weakest  :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 09:42:53 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
level in the league..the NBA should have found a way to nix him signing with GSW...At the time he signed it seemed they did not need him, but looks like they would be ‘human’ without him. For those who think the league shouldn’t interfere what if Kebron signs with GSW after this season.

Yeesh, I have to say I disagree with all of this.

1. No, the league should not have "found a way to nix" Durant signing with GSW.  They had cap space, Durant was a free agent, and all parties involved played by the rules.  GSW was both lucky and smart, but nothing they did was unfair.

2. GSW had just lost in the Finals, and one could argue it was the signing of Durant that made the difference between them beating losing to the Cavs or beating them.  The year GSW beat the Cavs, the Cavs were without both Irving and Love during the Finals.  So, in that regard, GSW did in fact need Durant.

3. If LeBron wants to sign with GSW, I see no reason the league should interfere, as long as neither side does anything against the rules.  Free agents are free to sign with whichever team they want, for any salary the rules allow for.  The players union might protest if LeBron did something like take the minimum, but if he really wanted to press the matter there is nothing anyone can, or should, do (aside from mocking him).

Honestly, Durant can go on to win 5 rings, but no one will care. No one will respect it.

I absolutely respect Durant for choosing to ditch Westbrook and join a team that actually plays as a team.  And as I said above, Durant was the difference between GSW losing to a healthy Cavs team the year before without him, and then beating them once he came along.  He earned his Finals MVP.

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 09:47:44 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

1. No, the league should not have "found a way to nix" Durant signing with GSW.  They had cap space, Durant was a free agent, and all parties involved played by the rules.  GSW was both lucky and smart, but nothing they did was unfair.

2. GSW had just lost in the Finals, and one could argue it was the signing of Durant that made the difference between them beating losing to the Cavs or beating them.  The year GSW beat the Cavs, the Cavs were without both Irving and Love during the Finals.  So, in that regard, GSW did in fact need Durant.

3. If LeBron wants to sign with GSW, I see no reason the league should interfere, as long as neither side does anything against the rules.  Free agents are free to sign with whichever team they want, for any salary the rules allow for.  The players union might protest if LeBron did something like take the minimum, but if he really wanted to press the matter there is nothing anyone can, or should, do (aside from mocking him).

I absolutely respect Durant for choosing to ditch Westbrook and join a team that actually plays as a team.  And as I said above, Durant was the difference between GSW losing to a healthy Cavs team the year before without him, and then beating them once he came along.  He earned his Finals MVP.

Didn’t he structure his deal so GSW could afford a decent bench? That is circumventing the spirit of the salary cap.

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 09:48:11 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
This is probably the worst thing to happen to the NBA in quite some time. If the Celtics weren't a great story to follow I wouldn't pay any mind to the NBA because it's a one team league and it's not fun to watch for the most part. In the early 00's, people had a pretty good idea that the Lakers would win every year, but there were always teams to give them a good run - spurs, kings, blazers to name a few. There simply isn't another team, unless another super team is formed, to take down this team that's rolling out every night with 4 all stars. They make it work within the confines of the salary cap so good for them, but Durants legacy is absolutely tarnished if you ask me. Winning 7 titles with this team won't negate the fact that he was up on the warriors 3-1 2 years ago, while playing with another all time great, couldn't get the job done, and jumps ship to go to that team - who by the way won 73 games that season. It's a joke.

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 09:48:37 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

if “all sides followed the rules” is the only condition needed to withhold nixing deals, why did David stern veto the “cp3 to the lakers” deal? The deal happened and the commissioner used his power to end the deal.

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 09:50:25 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell

As much as I despise Lebron, his 1 ring with Cleveland will be worth more than any and all rings Durant wins in his career as a Warrior.

Might sound harsh, but that's how I feel about it, and I'm sure many do. Weakest move in NBA History as of today. If Lebron joins Golden State, then that would become the weakest  :P

Gotta second all of this. TP.

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2018, 09:51:34 PM »

Offline TheTruth34

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
The NBA system had an injection of capital after the new TV deal.  Durant joining the Warriors is about as non-competitive as it gets.  LeBron and Chris Paul - as Pres and VP of the player's union - probably regret not allowing for cap smoothing. Most would never have anticipated this kind of move.

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2018, 09:52:18 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

if “all sides followed the rules” is the only condition needed to withhold nixing deals, why did David stern veto the “cp3 to the lakers” deal? The deal happened and the commissioner used his power to end the deal.

David Stern nixed the CP3 to the Lakers deal because he felt that deal was not in the best interest of the Pelicans (Hornets at the time), not because it was against the rules.  Stern wasn't acting as commissioner of the league in that case, but more as the defacto owner of the team.

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2018, 09:57:31 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

David Stern nixed the CP3 to the Lakers deal because he felt that deal was not in the best interest of the Pelicans (Hornets at the time), not because it was against the rules.  Stern wasn't acting as commissioner of the league in that case, but more as the defacto owner of the team.
Wrong

NBa league officials had granted autonomy to the Hornets’ front office to make personnel decisions it deemed appropriate.

Stern was said to be acting on behalf of some of the other owners, who were upset to see the Hornets send Paul — a premier point guard — to the Lakers, who have won five championships since 2000.
at least one owner did demand that the trade be rejected. Dan Gilbert, the Cleveland Cavaliers owner, referred to the trade as a “travesty” in a letter to Stern and others in the league Thursday night.

“I just don’t see how  we can allow this trade to happen,” Gilbert writes in the letter, a copy of which was obtained by The New York Times.

Gilbert claims that the deal would have saved the Lakers $20 million in salaries over the next three years, and another $21 million in luxury taxes — money that would go to small-market teams like the Cavaliers.

Stern was doing what was best for other team owners, not the hornets. He acted in a commissioners capacity or point of view. Stern killed the deal because the lakers would have been unbalanced and have complete domination of the league like the warriors today with Durant

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2018, 10:03:55 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

Wrong

NBa league officials had granted autonomy to the Hornets’ front office to make personnel decisions it deemed appropriate.

Stern was said to be acting on behalf of some of the other owners, who were upset to see the Hornets send Paul — a premier point guard — to the Lakers, who have won five championships since 2000.
at least one owner did demand that the trade be rejected. Dan Gilbert, the Cleveland Cavaliers owner, referred to the trade as a “travesty” in a letter to Stern and others in the league Thursday night.

“I just don’t see how  we can allow this trade to happen,” Gilbert writes in the letter, a copy of which was obtained by The New York Times.

Gilbert claims that the deal would have saved the Lakers $20 million in salaries over the next three years, and another $21 million in luxury taxes — money that would go to small-market teams like the Cavaliers.

Stern was doing what was best for other team owners, not the hornets. He acted in a commissioners capacity or point of view

I'm sure there were owners that voiced their protestation, I think Sarver was another, but it doesn't matter. Stern absolutely did not do any such thing.  Any one who believes that is just buying into conspiracy theories.

Stern vetoed that trade for the betterment of the Hornets/Pelicans franchise.  Period.

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2018, 10:08:48 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell

1. I agree. They did nothing illegal. They had cap space and made a hell of a pitch to Durant. That's pretty much what it comes down to. Durant obviously doesn't care that he is perceived as a quitter or someone who wants to take the easy route; he cares more about playing in a warm climate with guys he likes and winning titles in the process. He clearly isn't concerned about his legacy as much as guys like LeBron and Kobe.

2. That's so ridiculous. The warriors were up 3-1 against the Cavs, and ended up losing. To not lose those last 3 consecutive games they need the 2nd best player in the world? 2016 was a fluke and that Durant-less warriors team beats the cavs in a 7 game series at least 8 times out of ten. Imagine after the Celtics took the Lakers to 7 games in 2010 they thought the only way of getting over them next years was to get Nowitzki. That's what it's like.

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2018, 10:10:59 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

Not totally true....it was the owners led by Cuban and Gilbert that squashed the deal, the league office would have said yes. So if there was a best interest of basketball rule at that time they could have found something to say no to Durant’s pursie move.

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2018, 10:17:12 PM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
A. Durant's "Legacy" is similar to Scottie Pippins "Legacy" - who cares.. (he sure as heck doesn't)

B. Who cares that GoldenState is Stacked.. Go beat them... That's what sports are all about... 

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2018, 10:29:15 PM »

Offline TheTruth34

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
A. Durant's "Legacy" is similar to Scottie Pippins "Legacy" - who cares.. (he sure as heck doesn't)

B. Who cares that GoldenState is Stacked.. Go beat them... That's what sports are all about...

To the question raised in B (Who cares that Golden State is stacked)  - The answer -> any one who cares about/follows NBA basketball.  A 73 win team adding an MVP caliber player in his prime is anti-competiitive - quite simply.

"Go beat them" - here's the problem.  Durant-like commodities are rare.  And already-built teams with flexibility/cap space to add Durant-level players are even more rare.

Durant to GS was an uncommon opportunity and a game-changer for the NBA's competitive landscape.

It's unfortunate if you're anything but a fan of the Warriors.