Author Topic: Kyrie Irving isn't being traded anytime soon  (Read 3150 times)

Re: Kyrie Irving isn't being traded anytime soon
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2018, 02:56:45 PM »

Online SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1980
"We often talk about transcendent players and stars, but I think the hardest skill to find in our league is guys that can score in the fourth quarter, the last six minutes of the game type of scorers. Usually the offensive patterns don't score baskets at that time, usually it's the individuals and the talent and I think that's always a priority, regardless of need by position. But those kinds of players are hard to find and I think that Isaiah is our best at that right now, so it'd be nice to have one or two more of those before the season starts next year, and ideally at other positions."

https://www.celticsblog.com/2015/4/30/8525253/danny-ainge-says-the-boston-celtics-want-players-with-a-knack-for-scoring-late-in-games

We have that player in Kyrie Irving.  The Kyrie Irving who significantly outplayed NBA darling Steph Curry in the 2015-2016 NBA Finals even though he was primarily guarded by an excellent defender in Klay Thompson.   The Kyrie Irving who made the biggest shot in NBA Finals history.  We had the King of the Fourth in IT, but even he wasn't playoff-proven like Kyrie is.  Not even close.

So yeah I agree, we're not trading Irving any time soon.  Especially since we're soon to have more than one 4th quarter scoring assassin in Tatum.

Wat? :o :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIF8zcj_J4Y

Michael Jordan, Robert Horry, Kobe Bryant, Jerry West, Magic Johnson and others all say hello:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cifP8gx6wUQ

I think Jerry West's half court shot is the best of the bunch imo.

Jordan's game 6 winner against Utah and Magic's shot came to mind immediately, but Kyrie's was on the road in Golden State (incredibly difficult to beat GS at home) in the final minute of game 7.  If you recall the sequences after that, it caused GS to panic (specifically Curry, who dribbled the air out of the ball and launched some horrible shots).  I'm not sure how you can top a game 7 winner in the finals.
GS last scored at 4:39 of the 4th quarter in that gane to tie it at 89. Irving missed a 5 foot shot and had basically a layup blocked on either side of that 3 pointer.  No question it was a big shot but he missed those 2 bunnies and GS offensively played as badly as any team in such an important game probably ever in that last 4:39 and frankly the Cavs might have had the 2nd worst 5 minute ish stretch ever as well.

Whatever transpired before the 89-89 tie down the stretch is irrelevant to the play that Kyrie made at that particular time.  We all know how strange NBA games can sometimes be, and there's tons of ways to either win or lose a game.  I don't think anyone looks back on a player's game winner and diminishes that accomplishment by citing poor play from the other team, or if that player was having a tough shooting night before sinking the game winning shot.

Kyrie made a clutch 3 when it was needed, and that's that.

« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2018, 04:26:01 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
"We often talk about transcendent players and stars, but I think the hardest skill to find in our league is guys that can score in the fourth quarter, the last six minutes of the game type of scorers. Usually the offensive patterns don't score baskets at that time, usually it's the individuals and the talent and I think that's always a priority, regardless of need by position. But those kinds of players are hard to find and I think that Isaiah is our best at that right now, so it'd be nice to have one or two more of those before the season starts next year, and ideally at other positions."

https://www.celticsblog.com/2015/4/30/8525253/danny-ainge-says-the-boston-celtics-want-players-with-a-knack-for-scoring-late-in-games

We have that player in Kyrie Irving.  The Kyrie Irving who significantly outplayed NBA darling Steph Curry in the 2015-2016 NBA Finals even though he was primarily guarded by an excellent defender in Klay Thompson.   The Kyrie Irving who made the biggest shot in NBA Finals history.  We had the King of the Fourth in IT, but even he wasn't playoff-proven like Kyrie is.  Not even close.

So yeah I agree, we're not trading Irving any time soon.  Especially since we're soon to have more than one 4th quarter scoring assassin in Tatum.

Michael Jordan, Robert Horry, Kobe Bryant, Jerry West, Magic Johnson and others all say hello:

Jordan's game 6 winner against Utah and Magic's shot came to mind immediately, but Kyrie's was on the road in Golden State (incredibly difficult to beat GS at home) in the final minute of game 7.  If you recall the sequences after that, it caused GS to panic (specifically Curry, who dribbled the air out of the ball and launched some horrible shots).  I'm not sure how you can top a game 7 winner in the finals.

Uhh, so were those two shots, lol, plus, what about the game-tying three made by that other guy in Miami that saved Lebron's legacy? Has everyone already forgotten about that one? Ugh.

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2018, 04:44:39 PM »

Online SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1980

Uhh, so were those two shots, lol, plus, what about the game-tying three made by that other guy in Miami that saved Lebron's legacy? Has everyone already forgotten about that one? Ugh.

In consideration for the greatest shot made in the finals, yes.  I didn't forget Ray's shot, but even that wasn't on par with Kyrie's shot.  Again, I'm not sure how any of these are of greater magnitude than a game-winning shot in game 7 of the finals.

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2018, 05:14:36 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

In consideration for the greatest shot made in the finals, yes.  I didn't forget Ray's shot, but even that wasn't on par with Kyrie's shot.  Again, I'm not sure how any of these are of greater magnitude than a game-winning shot in game 7 of the finals.

I'm going to put another vote out there for Ray Allen's game 6 series saver. The confetti hadn't quite fallen, but the rope for the trophy presentation was already set around the court. They needed an offensive rebound from Bosh and a desperation last second 3 just to tie the game and send it to overtime. The game was over, the series was over...until it wasn't. We're talking a David Tyree level of disappointment or Malcom Butler level of elation here (for Pats fans).

Kyrie's shot was huge and it did come in a game 7, but the score was tied and there were still 53 seconds left. The reason it mattered so much was because nobody on either team could score before or after that point.

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2018, 07:39:57 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
Do people here realize too that Kyrie is only just turned 26? he isn't technically in his prime yet....And I watched him this year go toe to toe with Harden, Curry etc.

His knee injury was fairly minor and something that needed to be done.

Maybe the green tinted glasses of "we can win with rozier!" will come off if we dont make it past Cleveland or WHEN we get smashed by golden state. In this league you need as much talent as possible. Especially when the warriors are out there blowing out the rockets by 40 points

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2018, 08:30:14 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
I think people need to consider the possibility that Koby Altman out-Danny'd Danny by trading us a Lemon for a lemon.

Nobody really knows how Kyrie's knee will respond.  I'm hoping for the best for him but other NBA players have hha their careers ended by infections that reached the bone.

The safest value move may very well be to trade him.

« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2018, 09:01:25 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I think people need to consider the possibility that Koby Altman out-Danny'd Danny by trading us a Lemon for a lemon.

Nobody really knows how Kyrie's knee will respond.  I'm hoping for the best for him but other NBA players have hha their careers ended by infections that reached the bone.

The safest value move may very well be to trade him.
If that's what has happened I'll eat my hat
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2018, 09:17:06 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I know its all the rage on the site right now to discuss trades for Kyrie but, sorry to break it to you people, Danny isn't going to trade Kyrie Irving anytime soon. He's not going to be traded for a top pick 1 through 4. He's not going to be traded for Kawhi Leonard. He's not going to be traded for Karl Anthony Towns. He just isn't.

Danny wanted a top 15 superstar and got him in Kyrie. Kyrie has elite skills you just can't replace and need in the playoffs. He is proven. He is young and just entering his prime. This is Kyrie's team for now and Danny has already mentioned how great its going to be to add Kyrie and Hayward to this team next year.

Neither Smart nor Rozier can replace what Kyrie brings to this team. Expect Kyrie to sign a 4 year max after next year, especially if they win a title. Kyrie will be a Celtic until he is in his 30's. Sorry people who don't like Kyrie but that is the way its going to be.

The man who sank a thousand threads. Killjoy.