Author Topic: Kyrie Irving isn't being traded anytime soon  (Read 3149 times)

Re: Kyrie Irving isn't being traded anytime soon
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2018, 12:04:23 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
yeah, the notion that we should trade Kyrie because we have Rozier is pretty ridiculous take. Rozier hasn't even played at the level IT4 has...his ceiling is a really solid backup/6th man..or a starter on a middling playoff team like the bucks.

a game like tonight sure couldve used someone like Kyrie...

on that notion, danny isnt going to trade hayward either. The plan is to PAIR kyrie/hayward/horford with Tatum/brown

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2018, 02:16:34 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Why is everyone so keen to trade Kyrie? People don't think he was a key part of us winning 55 games after losing Gordon?
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2018, 02:53:08 AM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
Why is everyone so keen to trade Kyrie? People don't think he was a key part of us winning 55 games after losing Gordon?

When the team plays well in times of adversity, ie our best players not playing, some get so excited that they to get a little carried away.

I distinctly remember some fans believing the Celtics were actually better off without KG in 08 because the team went 9-2 when he was out with an abdominal injury. Of course, that wasn't true, but it was nice to see the team do so well without him, wasn't it?

Fans like that need to realize that it's not that the team is better off without Kyrie, but that the team will be that much better when he comes back next season.

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2018, 03:00:13 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
"We often talk about transcendent players and stars, but I think the hardest skill to find in our league is guys that can score in the fourth quarter, the last six minutes of the game type of scorers. Usually the offensive patterns don't score baskets at that time, usually it's the individuals and the talent and I think that's always a priority, regardless of need by position. But those kinds of players are hard to find and I think that Isaiah is our best at that right now, so it'd be nice to have one or two more of those before the season starts next year, and ideally at other positions."

https://www.celticsblog.com/2015/4/30/8525253/danny-ainge-says-the-boston-celtics-want-players-with-a-knack-for-scoring-late-in-games

We have that player in Kyrie Irving.  The Kyrie Irving who significantly outplayed NBA darling Steph Curry in the 2015-2016 NBA Finals even though he was primarily guarded by an excellent defender in Klay Thompson.   The Kyrie Irving who made the biggest shot in NBA Finals history.  We had the King of the Fourth in IT, but even he wasn't playoff-proven like Kyrie is.  Not even close.

So yeah I agree, we're not trading Irving any time soon.  Especially since we're soon to have more than one 4th quarter scoring assassin in Tatum.

Wat? :o :P

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2018, 09:30:32 AM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1956
"We often talk about transcendent players and stars, but I think the hardest skill to find in our league is guys that can score in the fourth quarter, the last six minutes of the game type of scorers. Usually the offensive patterns don't score baskets at that time, usually it's the individuals and the talent and I think that's always a priority, regardless of need by position. But those kinds of players are hard to find and I think that Isaiah is our best at that right now, so it'd be nice to have one or two more of those before the season starts next year, and ideally at other positions."

https://www.celticsblog.com/2015/4/30/8525253/danny-ainge-says-the-boston-celtics-want-players-with-a-knack-for-scoring-late-in-games

We have that player in Kyrie Irving.  The Kyrie Irving who significantly outplayed NBA darling Steph Curry in the 2015-2016 NBA Finals even though he was primarily guarded by an excellent defender in Klay Thompson.   The Kyrie Irving who made the biggest shot in NBA Finals history.  We had the King of the Fourth in IT, but even he wasn't playoff-proven like Kyrie is.  Not even close.

So yeah I agree, we're not trading Irving any time soon.  Especially since we're soon to have more than one 4th quarter scoring assassin in Tatum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIF8zcj_J4Y

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2018, 09:48:39 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Michael Jordan, Robert Horry, Kobe Bryant, Jerry West, Magic Johnson and others all say hello:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cifP8gx6wUQ

I think Jerry West's half court shot is the best of the bunch imo.

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2018, 10:12:14 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I know its all the rage on the site right now to discuss trades for Kyrie but, sorry to break it to you people, Danny isn't going to trade Kyrie Irving anytime soon. He's not going to be traded for a top pick 1 through 4. He's not going to be traded for Kawhi Leonard. He's not going to be traded for Karl Anthony Towns. He just isn't.

Danny wanted a top 15 superstar and got him in Kyrie. Kyrie has elite skills you just can't replace and need in the playoffs. He is proven. He is young and just entering his prime. This is Kyrie's team for now and Danny has already mentioned how great its going to be to add Kyrie and Hayward to this team next year.

Neither Smart nor Rozier can replace what Kyrie brings to this team. Expect Kyrie to sign a 4 year max after next year, especially if they win a title. Kyrie will be a Celtic until he is in his 30's. Sorry people who don't like Kyrie but that is the way its going to be.

Amen

There is a bunch of difference between Kyrie Irving and Terry Rozier.

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2018, 10:20:12 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
I know its all the rage on the site right now to discuss trades for Kyrie but, sorry to break it to you people, Danny isn't going to trade Kyrie Irving anytime soon. He's not going to be traded for a top pick 1 through 4. He's not going to be traded for Kawhi Leonard. He's not going to be traded for Karl Anthony Towns. He just isn't.

Danny wanted a top 15 superstar and got him in Kyrie. Kyrie has elite skills you just can't replace and need in the playoffs. He is proven. He is young and just entering his prime. This is Kyrie's team for now and Danny has already mentioned how great its going to be to add Kyrie and Hayward to this team next year.

Neither Smart nor Rozier can replace what Kyrie brings to this team. Expect Kyrie to sign a 4 year max after next year, especially if they win a title. Kyrie will be a Celtic until he is in his 30's. Sorry people who don't like Kyrie but that is the way its going to be.

Amen

There is a bunch of difference between Kyrie Irving and Terry Rozier.

theres a bunch of difference even between IT4 and Rozier.....he hasnt even come to consistency in the playoffs that IT4 had last year and fans want to trade away a legit top 10 player to stake their hopes on a backup.

Our goal is to compete for championships....and if you want to compete with the GSW and the west you need MORE stars not less.

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2018, 10:44:10 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

Michael Jordan, Robert Horry, Kobe Bryant, Jerry West, Magic Johnson and others all say hello:

The shot in the game you lose just doesn't carry the same weight. Kyries shot saved LeBrons legacy, made Cleveland the champions.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2018, 11:21:59 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Nobody is saying to just let Kyrie walk at the end of his contract or just trade him for scraps. The major trade returns I have seen include: Kawhi, AD, KAT, and the #1 pick. There are a very select few who would trade him for less, but these are what people would want back in a Kyrie trade.

I bet most of the people scoffing at such a trade are the same ones who couldn't believe we would trade IT/Crowder/BKN pick for Kyrie in the first place. I don't think we should trade Kyrie because it would paint a pretty bad picture (but not as bad as if we trade Hayward). I am also excited about a future with Kyrie as our PG - I am just a little bummed we are going to lose Rozier for much less than he is worth (or nothing).

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2018, 11:40:01 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I am just a little bummed we are going to lose Rozier for much less than he is worth (or nothing).

That's the unfortunate downside of stockpiling so much talent. Eventually these guys need to be paid, and you can't pay everyone. And even when you can afford to pay them, they don't always want to stay anyways, as they desire a bigger role they can only find elsewhere.

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2018, 01:22:18 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1956

Jordan's game 6 winner against Utah and Magic's shot came to mind immediately, but Kyrie's was on the road in Golden State (incredibly difficult to beat GS at home) in the final minute of game 7.  If you recall the sequences after that, it caused GS to panic (specifically Curry, who dribbled the air out of the ball and launched some horrible shots).  I'm not sure how you can top a game 7 winner in the finals.

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2018, 02:15:11 PM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
I'm pretty nervous about his health

I'm Not... He is vegan

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2018, 02:31:05 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Jordan's game 6 winner against Utah and Magic's shot came to mind immediately, but Kyrie's was on the road in Golden State (incredibly difficult to beat GS at home) in the final minute of game 7.  If you recall the sequences after that, it caused GS to panic (specifically Curry, who dribbled the air out of the ball and launched some horrible shots).  I'm not sure how you can top a game 7 winner in the finals.
GS last scored at 4:39 of the 4th quarter in that gane to tie it at 89. Irving missed a 5 foot shot and had basically a layup blocked on either side of that 3 pointer.  No question it was a big shot but he missed those 2 bunnies and GS offensively played as badly as any team in such an important game probably ever in that last 4:39 and frankly the Cavs might have had the 2nd worst 5 minute ish stretch ever as well.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2018, 02:55:42 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

The shot in the game you lose just doesn't carry the same weight. Kyries shot saved LeBrons legacy, made Cleveland the champions.

That is all relative.