Author Topic: Kobe Bryant on Jayson Tatum  (Read 5623 times)

Re: Kobe Bryant on Jayson Tatum
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2018, 01:01:39 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Jayson Tatum wanted to be like Kobe Bryant, but his dad pushed him to watch film of Paul Pierce instead.

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2018, 01:17:14 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
https://youtu.be/Jd3kBaESg5A

I see someone already posted it.

Good insight by Kobe.

Eh, it's funny as to how he talks in that video about Tatum simplifying the game by coming off of screens, as I think we all know that if Kobe were in Jayson's position he would just wear out Smith in the post, which is exactly as to what Tatum should be doing, anyway, given that matchup, imo.

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2018, 05:15:23 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I like the attention JT is getting.
From the free clip that I can watch, Kobe suggest JT to use the screen to get 'pocket' space to shoot open (long) 2s.
I think in the 3pt NBA era, that seems to be an inefficient shot.
I feel like similar plays could be used for 3's though, especially with Brad at the helm. It's really just about JT's off-ball movement. Once he locks that down, watch out world

Offenses will evolve to take whatever is a "better" shot... as team defenses move to run players off the line, the "better" shot will become that mid range jumper. Watching KD operate in the GS/HOU series is a thing of beauty with the mid-range game.

Yes, the "best" shot is whatever shot is the most easily made. A three point shot is not inherently better than a long two point shot. It's only better because most players in today's league can make the three at an equal rate to the long two. But if defenses change and it becomes harder to make threes, then offenses need to adjust accordingly.

Not exactly. A three point shot is inherently better because it's worth more. In terms of value, one is worth 50% more than another, which means it is inherently better.

In that sense, a free throw shooter who shoots 80% from free throws and takes 10, will score
8 points. A mid-range shooter who shoots 40% (above average to good percentage from 16-23 feet) and takes 10, will score 8 points also. A three point shooter who shoots 35% from 3 (low end average) and takes 10, will score 10 points.

Mid-range shots can be helpful. I like Tatum's shooting in that area, but if Tatum had a choice between a 20 footer and a 23 foot, and statistically he would average a similar percentage on both, the 3 is an inherently better shot since it is worth more points.

The point of the analysis is that coming off that pick, Tatum isn't getting into a position to shoot. So it's not an analysis of shot efficiencies. It's the choice between creating a shot and not creating a shot.

By getting to 'the pocket' as Kobe describes it, Tatum is creating a scoring opportunity for himself. Furthermore, he causes the defence to make the choice of giving him that shot, which he should knock down, or the big pressuring him and leaving the lane more open for a drive.

This is not trying to convert 3 point attempts into 2 point attempts, it's trying to create a shot attempt in a situation he currently isn't getting a shot

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2018, 05:59:43 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
I like the attention JT is getting.
From the free clip that I can watch, Kobe suggest JT to use the screen to get 'pocket' space to shoot open (long) 2s.
I think in the 3pt NBA era, that seems to be an inefficient shot.
I feel like similar plays could be used for 3's though, especially with Brad at the helm. It's really just about JT's off-ball movement. Once he locks that down, watch out world

Offenses will evolve to take whatever is a "better" shot... as team defenses move to run players off the line, the "better" shot will become that mid range jumper. Watching KD operate in the GS/HOU series is a thing of beauty with the mid-range game.

Yes, the "best" shot is whatever shot is the most easily made. A three point shot is not inherently better than a long two point shot. It's only better because most players in today's league can make the three at an equal rate to the long two. But if defenses change and it becomes harder to make threes, then offenses need to adjust accordingly.

Not exactly. A three point shot is inherently better because it's worth more. In terms of value, one is worth 50% more than another, which means it is inherently better.

In that sense, a free throw shooter who shoots 80% from free throws and takes 10, will score
8 points. A mid-range shooter who shoots 40% (above average to good percentage from 16-23 feet) and takes 10, will score 8 points also. A three point shooter who shoots 35% from 3 (low end average) and takes 10, will score 10 points.

Mid-range shots can be helpful. I like Tatum's shooting in that area, but if Tatum had a choice between a 20 footer and a 23 foot, and statistically he would average a similar percentage on both, the 3 is an inherently better shot since it is worth more points.

The point of the analysis is that coming off that pick, Tatum isn't getting into a position to shoot. So it's not an analysis of shot efficiencies. It's the choice between creating a shot and not creating a shot.

By getting to 'the pocket' as Kobe describes it, Tatum is creating a scoring opportunity for himself. Furthermore, he causes the defence to make the choice of giving him that shot, which he should knock down, or the big pressuring him and leaving the lane more open for a drive.

This is not trying to convert 3 point attempts into 2 point attempts, it's trying to create a shot attempt in a situation he currently isn't getting a shot

Using the pick to get to the pocket was definitely overemphasized... The guy is shooting over 43% from 3 Kobe... I think he's doing it pretty well.  Go tell Steph and Klay to take more midrange shots.

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2018, 06:39:42 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Jayson Tatum wanted to be like Kobe Bryant, but his dad pushed him to watch film of Paul Pierce instead.

thats a great combo to  copy.

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2018, 10:58:48 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
This rockets team chucking threes, missing 25 in a row lol...

Midrange game in the playoffs as plan B ftw...