Author Topic: Kobe Bryant on Jayson Tatum  (Read 5585 times)

Re: Kobe Bryant on Jayson Tatum
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2018, 11:10:38 AM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
The calls and the increased physicality are going to come when he adds functional strength in the offseason weight program in the next 1-2 years. Going to make a huge difference on his drives getting and-1s and not losing the ball on digs. In my opinion that is the number one area to address for him this summer. Making shoot/drive decisions right off the catch (as opposed to catching and holding) like Kobe is talking about would probably be #2.

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2018, 02:33:11 PM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
I like the attention JT is getting.
From the free clip that I can watch, Kobe suggest JT to use the screen to get 'pocket' space to shoot open (long) 2s.
I think in the 3pt NBA era, that seems to be an inefficient shot.
I feel like similar plays could be used for 3's though, especially with Brad at the helm. It's really just about JT's off-ball movement. Once he locks that down, watch out world

Offenses will evolve to take whatever is a "better" shot... as team defenses move to run players off the line, the "better" shot will become that mid range jumper. Watching KD operate in the GS/HOU series is a thing of beauty with the mid-range game.

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2018, 02:38:47 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
From the free clip that I can watch, Kobe suggest JT to use the screen to get 'pocket' space to shoot open (long) 2s.
I feel like similar plays could be used for 3's though, especially with Brad at the helm. It's really just about JT's off-ball movement. Once he locks that down, watch out world

Offenses will evolve to take whatever is a "better" shot... as team defenses move to run players off the line, the "better" shot will become that mid range jumper. Watching KD operate in the GS/HOU series is a thing of beauty with the mid-range game.

Yes, the "best" shot is whatever shot is the most easily made. A three point shot is not inherently better than a long two point shot. It's only better because most players in today's league can make the three at an equal rate to the long two. But if defenses change and it becomes harder to make threes, then offenses need to adjust accordingly.

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2018, 03:48:05 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Yes, the "best" shot is whatever shot is the most easily made. A three point shot is not inherently better than a long two point shot. It's only better because most players in today's league can make the three at an equal rate to the long two. But if defenses change and it becomes harder to make threes, then offenses need to adjust accordingly.

Not exactly. A three point shot is inherently better because it's worth more. In terms of value, one is worth 50% more than another, which means it is inherently better.

In that sense, a free throw shooter who shoots 80% from free throws and takes 10, will score
8 points. A mid-range shooter who shoots 40% (above average to good percentage from 16-23 feet) and takes 10, will score 8 points also. A three point shooter who shoots 35% from 3 (low end average) and takes 10, will score 10 points.

Mid-range shots can be helpful. I like Tatum's shooting in that area, but if Tatum had a choice between a 20 footer and a 23 foot, and statistically he would average a similar percentage on both, the 3 is an inherently better shot since it is worth more points.

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2018, 04:09:14 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391

Not exactly. A three point shot is inherently better because it's worth more. In terms of value, one is worth 50% more than another, which means it is inherently better.

In that sense, a free throw shooter who shoots 80% from free throws and takes 10, will score
8 points. A mid-range shooter who shoots 40% (above average to good percentage from 16-23 feet) and takes 10, will score 8 points also. A three point shooter who shoots 35% from 3 (low end average) and takes 10, will score 10 points.

Mid-range shots can be helpful. I like Tatum's shooting in that area, but if Tatum had a choice between a 20 footer and a 23 foot, and statistically he would average a similar percentage on both, the 3 is an inherently better shot since it is worth more points.

I see where you’re coming from but the sticking point is in the percentages. If a player shoots 20% from 3, then he only scores 6. Threes are good shots when they’re uncontested, so I’m good with making a 3-point attack the primary strategy. But on individual shots, you still have to take what the D gives you and I’d say an uncontested midrange is a better shot than a contested 3. Kind of like when CBS tells the team to hit singles. To me, that doesn’t mean stop taking 3’s. To me, it means take the easy shot to consistently convert.

- LilRip

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2018, 04:13:44 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
really good observations on how tatum can improve.  just by placing his toes properly instead of rounding off his drive he can cover a lot of ground and put more pressure on the defense. 

by being patient and holding up at the right time and allowing his guys to occupy defenders he can make a better choice to break down the defence.

by picking out his 'pockets' he can get wide open shots that don't allow the defender to get around the screen to bother his shot.

kobe's eye for detail shows us how he would attack in jayson's shoes by spinning around the baseline, what is the better pass to make, instead of driving and allowing the defence to catch up.

hopefully tatum takes these observations in stride and integrates them to better his game.

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2018, 04:20:27 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
really good observations on how tatum can improve.  just by placing his toes properly instead of rounding off his drive he can cover a lot of ground and put more pressure on the defense. 

by being patient and holding up at the right time and allowing his guys to occupy defenders he can make a better choice to break down the defence.

by picking out his 'pockets' he can get wide open shots that don't allow the defender to get around the screen to bother his shot.

kobe's eye for detail shows us how he would attack in jayson's shoes by spinning around the baseline, what is the better pass to make, instead of driving and allowing the defence to catch up.

hopefully tatum takes these observations in stride and integrates them to better his game.

Bring Kobe on as a consultant!
Yup

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2018, 04:20:33 PM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 15
Here is the full segment. Was amazing !

https://youtu.be/Jd3kBaESg5A

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2018, 04:46:41 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Tatum can do a lot better in terms of getting open and getting the ball in rhythm to shoot. It’s a really good observation.

I would rather Tatum bulk up and fashion his game after the freak...
Anthetokoumpo is not something who's so good that you need to fashion your game after him. Please.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2018, 05:55:29 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
My thoughts exactly. I also noticed Tatum said he felt some was good some wasn't what the team wants/system. Team system matters on how a guy plays.

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2018, 06:03:24 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
That was an awesome video. If Tatum, Hayward, Brown, and Irving could get easy buckets through details like these, the Cs offense would be so much better with fewer droughts.

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2018, 10:41:14 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I just watched the full thing on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo1xYpfJ5Gw

It's kind of gross that Kobe narrates his analysis in the first person, making it sound like "I would've done it this way because I always did everything right" but the analysis is actually interesting and I like that it lives up to its name by really getting into the details of that play. ESPN (except for Zach Lowe) does so little good analysis and so much clickbait, shallow crap. This is much better than that.

And I like the Richard Hamilton suggestion. What he's saying is that Tatum needs to learn how to use his screens better and Hamilton was great at that.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2018, 11:13:17 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I just watched the full thing on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo1xYpfJ5Gw

It's kind of gross that Kobe narrates his analysis in the first person, making it sound like "I would've done it this way because I always did everything right" but the analysis is actually interesting and I like that it lives up to its name by really getting into the details of that play. ESPN (except for Zach Lowe) does so little good analysis and so much clickbait, shallow crap. This is much better than that.

And I like the Richard Hamilton suggestion. What he's saying is that Tatum needs to learn how to use his screens better and Hamilton was great at that.
Yeah, the use of first person really gets under my skin for some reason. Maybe Kobe talking from the perspective of a Celtic just turns my stomach :D

But I agree, the really little details that he goes into that most of us don't really take not of are really interesting. Obviously not a guy Boston is a huge fan of, but his knowledge of the game is clearly very high.
I feel like Larry Bird would make the most awesome types of videos like this if he ever felt like it (unlikely)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2018, 12:44:42 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
https://youtu.be/Jd3kBaESg5A

I see someone already posted it.

Good insight by Kobe.

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2018, 12:50:52 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Somehow, Kobe may end up helping the Celtics beat LeBron James and win this series.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)