Poll

We're holding #27. Will we be involved in a draft day trade?

Fireworks: A trade involving Rozier or greater
Minor Trade: #27 or anyone < Rozier
No moves.

Author Topic: Draft Day/Pick Trades: Fireworks, Minor Trade or No Trade?  (Read 2972 times)

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
 Feel free to define major/minor as you please, though my definitions are below. Sorry, trading #27 doesn't seem particularly major. In conjunction with Rozier, though, it's more fireworkey.

Assume that this poll encompasses any trade up to and including draft day.

I'm voting minor. I don't think we end up picking at #27, but I'm still thinking that we're trading back, not forward.

Mike

Re: Draft Day/Pick Trades: Fireworks, Minor Trade or No Trade?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 01:22:04 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I think Ainge and Rozier are gonna have internal discussions about his future role with the team, and he's probably gonna gauge what his thoughts are personally if they re-sign Smart. Of course, he's gonna be pleased, but deep inside he's gonna be a little blown, because he knows they want to win, but it also means he's not gonna be seeing consistent minutes.

I think Ainge is actually more higher on this draft than lasts year. I can see him packaging Clippers pick, a second rounder, maybe Yabusele and Rozier for MPJ.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 01:26:45 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I could see a minor trade being made. Unless we get an offer on the table that is heavily in our advantage, I don't see Ainge messing with what we've got
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 01:34:15 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think a lot of Celticsbloggers that love the draft and trades to shake things up are going to be very disappointed in the lack of action the Celtics will provide them on draft day. It wouldn't surprise me if they traded out of the #27 spot as they have a ton of youth already. But my expectations are for just a pick at 27 and nothing else. Also, don't be surprised if that pick doesn't coincide with what ESPN draft day experts believe is the best available player or is a player that CBers are clammoring for.

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 01:40:55 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
No moves.

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 03:05:44 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Honestly, there's a lot of things that could happen.

MY PREDICTION: Minor Move. They trade back from #27 and acquire EITHER multiple 2nds this year... or a second rounder AND a future (protected) pick

That said, Ainge will certainly explore what Rozier, #27 and a future non-Kings Pick can fetch him back. And if Ainge is super duper high on this draft and some of the prospects... maybe he decides to trade the Kings Pick + Rozier in a package if it somehow lands us a Bagley, Porter or someone? (Doubtful, but just listing examples).

Again, there's many directions to go. Maybe they just keep #27, draft and call it a day.

But that's my prediction.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 03:45:39 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Roster is set for next season..with Tatum and Brown emerging into stars, we dont need to make any moves
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 07:39:19 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Roster is set for next season..with Tatum and Brown emerging into stars, we dont need to make any moves
Agreed!

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 08:04:20 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I think a lot of Celticsbloggers that love the draft and trades to shake things up are going to be very disappointed in the lack of action the Celtics will provide them on draft day. It wouldn't surprise me if they traded out of the #27 spot as they have a ton of youth already. But my expectations are for just a pick at 27 and nothing else. Also, don't be surprised if that pick doesn't coincide with what ESPN draft day experts believe is the best available player or is a player that CBers are clammoring for.

Hey, we can always dream, right, lol? ;D

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 08:17:56 PM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 45
If I'm Rozier's agent going in to a contract year, there is no way I'm advising my client to agree to a reduction in minutes, the way he is currently performing as a starter.

If he is given a super sixth man, starters level of minutes that's one thing...

Starters are all averaging around 31-33 minutes per game....multiplied by 6 players is 186-198 of the minutes pool. If Smart (assuming we re-sign) is then getting 28 that's 220-226 of 240 minutes per game allotted.

Assuming Baynes is also back, we have Morris/Thiess/Baynes dividing up 14-20 minutes between the three? This dooms Larkin to the bench entirely, Semi entirely, Yabu entirely.

Maybe the rest of the starters are interested in playing less, but I don't see it getting much under 29 per starter, to accommodate another player. Horford, I can see, benefitting from a regular season reduction (31 this season) to say 24-28 a night, to keep him fresh for the playoffs. Hayward and Kyrie could also benefit a lower usage to start the season, considering their injuries. But a month or so in to the season, the overall production of the team is obviously going to benefit by these guys being on the floor more, as they are the superior players.

I think the writing is more on the wall then is currently revealed. The better Rozier continues to perform, either he or Irving are getting moved this summer. Or we are letting Smart walk, or sign and trade.

I mean, we could have a lot worse of problems to have, lol!

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2018, 08:44:51 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Take out one of Philly's legs and bring Jim O Brien back to the bench as quarterbacks coach.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2018, 03:14:26 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I just don't see why we would trade Rozier. Almost by definition what we get back won't be as good as he is.

We're going into a championship year! If I'm Ainge I'm not jeopardising that with an unnecessary trade. Rozier has shown he can step up to the starting spot with no hesitation, something even Smart hasn't done in the past. Kyrie will not play all 82 games. Rozier is necessary on this team.

For tax reasons I think we end up trading out of the draft completely. We have a lot of developing young talent and in future years we will want an influx of it, so we trade back a few years.

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2018, 03:47:05 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I just don't see why we would trade Rozier. Almost by definition what we get back won't be as good as he is.

We're going into a championship year! If I'm Ainge I'm not jeopardising that with an unnecessary trade. Rozier has shown he can step up to the starting spot with no hesitation, something even Smart hasn't done in the past. Kyrie will not play all 82 games. Rozier is necessary on this team.

For tax reasons I think we end up trading out of the draft completely. We have a lot of developing young talent and in future years we will want an influx of it, so we trade back a few years.

I pretty much agree with everything you said there.  We are going to be gunning for a championship next year, it would be ideal to keep the team we had this year + add back Irving, Hayward, and Theis post injuries.

Injuries happen, and having Terry up his game really saved the season for us.

The only reason I could see in moving Terry is if we can't resign Baynes, and are forced to look else where for a good rotation big.  If that happens, selling  high on Terry may be the best way to get a talented big that fits Brad's scheme.  But I won't like it.

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2018, 03:54:25 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I just don't see why we would trade Rozier.

Because there is a strong possibility that if we don't trade Rozier we'll eventually lose him for nothing to free agency.

Rozier is not going to be content to continue being a backup when he's demonstrated he's at the very least an above average starter.

Now maybe it is worth it to keep him for the next year or two, depending on how his RFA market plays out and whether or not he think the C's will match any offer and this force Rozier to take the QO. Having Rozier as our backup PG would obviously be a huge bonus for a championship run, but is an extreme luxury at this point though, especially if Smart is retained this summer.

I'd argue it's better to try to flip him for a young big man with upside to eventually take over for Horford.

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2018, 03:58:10 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
So many options.  Ultimately, I think we should be able to come away with a big in this draft.

It depends if we decide to keep Rozier or not.  If we're open to it, it depends what we want. 

I'd consider a major fireworks trade up to #4 or #6 to potentially grab any of the 3 Juniors (Jackson, Carter, Porter).  Carter's an amazing fit, JJJ has amazing upside, Porter who knows.

I'd do a minor trade up to no higher than #16 for Jontay Porter or potentially Mitchell Robinson.

I'd stand pat if we could end up with either of Jontay Porter, Omari Spellman or Brandon McCoy.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07