What does it take to get the number 7 pick in this draft

Rozier plus Celtics Pick 2018
14 (31.8%)
Rozier plus The Kings pick 2019
20 (45.5%)
Rozier plus Memphis Pick
10 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Author Topic: Poll: What's it take to get the #7 pick in this draft  (Read 7380 times)

Re: Poll: What's it take to get the #7 pick in this draft
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2018, 08:26:20 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I would pick the option with Kyrie + Al + Tatum for no.7. and a 2nd rounder, but there are only lesser options available.
Joking aside, when boys are playing as good as they are right now, I feel it is almost a blasphemy to talk about moving them. More convenient times will arrive.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 08:39:47 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2018, 08:41:35 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
If you traded rozier straight UP for the #7 pick you're an idiot. Let alone adding another pick.

Really Playa? Your an idiot? How about if we already we can't afford Rozier, and Irving who is about a 180 million dollar player. And Tatum and Brown are both going to be 100 million dollar contracts soon.

And Horford makes 30 million per year, and so does Hayward he makes 30 million per year. Oh, and we might pay Smart this year that will be about 10 million per year.

By trading Rozier you get a top prospect thats cost controlled for four years.
#7pick in the draft is just as likely to be a bust in the draft as a top prospect. If you're worried about salary you're much better to package him and a player and get a solid bench guy that you know for certain will contribute than to trade him for a #7 so-so prospect and another possibly high pick.
I think there's a solid point here.

If you're gunning for Porter at that pick, it's a swing for the fences type of pick considering his health.  there's a real possibility he never becomes the player he was initially projected to be. 

Personally, I'd prefer to roll with Rozier next year as an experienced backup PG who's shown he can step up to the moment in the playoffs.  This team has gone from 'build for the future' to 'contend now'.  We need players who can contribute, not more prospects (other than who we already have and the future picks lined up the next few years).  Injuries can happen (as we've seen this year) so being able to call on Smart and Rozier next year to step into the starting lineup if Kyrie or Brown miss some games will be invaluable. 

I'd worry about Rozier the following year.  Also, with the ruling on sports betting, there may be another jump in the salary cap allowing the C's to pay for everyone they already have considering the possible new revenue stream that each sports league is angling for.

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2018, 08:50:07 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I don't know how realistic it is and I'd prefer to keep Terry for a championship run next season but if the Celtics could package Rozier and #27 and get Bamba or Jackson I'd be happy with that.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2018, 08:53:03 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
No trades.

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2018, 09:00:09 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
If you traded rozier straight UP for the #7 pick you're an idiot. Let alone adding another pick.

Really Playa? Your an idiot? How about if we already we can't afford Rozier, and Irving who is about a 180 million dollar player. And Tatum and Brown are both going to be 100 million dollar contracts soon.

And Horford makes 30 million per year, and so does Hayward he makes 30 million per year. Oh, and we might pay Smart this year that will be about 10 million per year.

#7pick in the draft is just as likely to be a bust in the draft as a top prospect. If you're worried about salary you're much better to package him and a player and get a solid bench guy that you know for certain will contribute than to trade him for a #7 so-so prospect and another possibly high pick.

If you're gunning for Porter at that pick, it's a swing for the fences type of pick considering his health.  there's a real possibility he never becomes the player he was initially projected to be. 

Personally, I'd prefer to roll with Rozier next year as an experienced backup PG who's shown he can step up to the moment in the playoffs.  This team has gone from 'build for the future' to 'contend now'.  We need players who can contribute, not more prospects (other than who we already have and the future picks lined up the next few years).  Injuries can happen (as we've seen this year) so being able to call on Smart and Rozier next year to step into the starting lineup if Kyrie or Brown miss some games will be invaluable. 

I'd worry about Rozier the following year.  Also, with the ruling on sports betting, there may be another jump in the salary cap allowing the C's to pay for everyone they already have considering the possible new revenue stream that each sports league is angling for.
You want someone who can contribute right from the start? Mikal Bridges. Just 2 years younger than Rozier, but 3 more years under the rookie scale.

We can't keep both Smart and Rozier. If Danny believes Rozier is the odd man out, now is the time to trade him. His trade value will never be higher.

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2018, 09:33:32 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Keep in mind that The bulls have always loved Rozier, and reportedly were going to take him at #22 that year. Ainge shocked everyone and drafted him 16.  And consider that Rozier is better than Kris Dunn right now.

Rozier projects as a starter with the Bulls.

Or just post what you think is fair for #7. This trade would screw the Cavs as well. We could steal a sliding star from them.

While Chicago, along with Houston, iirc, did have their eyes on Rozier in 2015, I don't see as to how Terry fits on that team, and I disagree about him being better than Dunn, particularly as they're completely different players, imo.

They’re both scoring point guards. In what way are they different? In what way is Dunn better?

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2018, 09:37:43 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Keep in mind that The bulls have always loved Rozier, and reportedly were going to take him at #22 that year. Ainge shocked everyone and drafted him 16.  And consider that Rozier is better than Kris Dunn right now.

Rozier projects as a starter with the Bulls.

Or just post what you think is fair for #7. This trade would screw the Cavs as well. We could steal a sliding star from them.

While Chicago, along with Houston, iirc, did have their eyes on Rozier in 2015, I don't see as to how Terry fits on that team, and I disagree about him being better than Dunn, particularly as they're completely different players, imo.

They’re both scoring point guards. In what way are they different? In what way is Dunn better?
Huh? Kris Dunn isn't a scoring PG is he? He's a better passer than Rozier, comparable rebounder, and considerably better defender - Rozier is a much more dynamic scorer though.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2018, 10:02:46 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
This is really a question about Ainge's strategy for managing the team resources from here.

Will he see himself as having assembled everything he needs to storm the league next year, even if that means some assets will degrade (pending free agency/minutes crunches) when new contracts come due? Will the team just suck it up and pay the bills? Or, will he be proactive about managing his secondary core players, attempting to avoid major conflicts in minutes, roles and money? Will he keep the core chemistry intact, or take advantage if even bigger superstars become available? Does he think Jaylen and Jason need to be given the keys to the car?

Anyway, I want Wendell Carter or Jaren Jackson. Micheal Porter would be a fascinating experiment in changing the shape of the way the game is played. I personally don't see the utility of the Sac pick next year, and don't see Rozier being happy playing 20 minutes, so I don't mind overpaying for a great pick for a big man this year. Or we get Porter, and the league freaks out at the mad scientist experiment Ainge is running.

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2018, 10:06:57 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

You want someone who can contribute right from the start? Mikal Bridges. Just 2 years younger than Rozier, but 3 more years under the rookie scale.

We can't keep both Smart and Rozier. If Danny believes Rozier is the odd man out, now is the time to trade him. His trade value will never be higher.
we CAN keep both.  that's the point.  unless Smart gets a godfather offer this offseason, which I honestly don't see him getting over MLE from anyone, we have both under contract for next season.  if this playoff run has shown us anything is that if we have Kyrie and Hayward added to this team next year, we're not just winning the East, we're a legitimate contenders.  for me, that's worth keeping Rozier for next season regardless of the following offseason when he's an RFA.  Also, don't ignore this legalized betting decision.  That's going to have a real impacts to the league's income and the salary cap.  each team could be looking at enough of a bump in the cap where the C's can afford both Smart and Rozier (and hopefully Kyrie's next deal as well as Brown and Tatum's paydays). 

Rozier has some trade value now but we're this close to being the top roster in the league with him around next year.  if the C's need backcourt scoring off the bench, they'd have Rozier.  if they need D off the bench, it'd be Smart.  Rozier (with Smart) also allows Brad to rest Kyrie and Brown at the same time -- a luxury he wouldn't have otherwise. 

as far as trading for Mikal Bridges, he's an unproven commodity unlike Rozier.  He'd be a rookie who has never experienced NBA regular season much less the playoffs where Rozier has shown he's not afraid of the spotlight.  that's not something I feel can be ignored and just brushed off to assume any player can be plugged into that situation and rise to the occasion.

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2018, 11:49:24 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Qicker DA moves Smart or Rozier ,  if he isn't inclined to try and keep both the better , their values climb as Celtics keep,winning.

I bet he does something while their value is high ,  i have not a clue as to what .   

but his biggest gain from where he picked to value today is Rozier .   Could net him a nice asset of two

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2018, 11:52:31 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Why are we talking about trading Rozier to a team who doesn't need him for the #7 pick, when we could be doing the same for a team that does need him (Orlando) at #6?

Mike

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2018, 12:00:20 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Here's a problem: we can't afford to sign Smart and the 7th pick without going over luxury tax. It's not happening. They want the Kings pick due to it converting next year when were already going over the luxury.

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2018, 12:03:57 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

we CAN keep both.  that's the point.  unless Smart gets a godfather offer this offseason, which I honestly don't see him getting over MLE from anyone, we have both under contract for next season.  if this playoff run has shown us anything is that if we have Kyrie and Hayward added to this team next year, we're not just winning the East, we're a legitimate contenders.  for me, that's worth keeping Rozier for next season regardless of the following offseason when he's an RFA.  Also, don't ignore this legalized betting decision.  That's going to have a real impacts to the league's income and the salary cap.  each team could be looking at enough of a bump in the cap where the C's can afford both Smart and Rozier (and hopefully Kyrie's next deal as well as Brown and Tatum's paydays). 

Rozier has some trade value now but we're this close to being the top roster in the league with him around next year.  if the C's need backcourt scoring off the bench, they'd have Rozier.  if they need D off the bench, it'd be Smart.  Rozier (with Smart) also allows Brad to rest Kyrie and Brown at the same time -- a luxury he wouldn't have otherwise. 

as far as trading for Mikal Bridges, he's an unproven commodity unlike Rozier.  He'd be a rookie who has never experienced NBA regular season much less the playoffs where Rozier has shown he's not afraid of the spotlight.  that's not something I feel can be ignored and just brushed off to assume any player can be plugged into that situation and rise to the occasion.

If there is a cap spike from legalized betting that makes it more likely we Won't be able to keep Rozier. A bunch of teams with more cap space when hes a RFA means a huge contract offer, an offer we simply wont match if we already have Irving and Smart making 40+ million a year. You  just can't ty up starter money in a guy who is your third pint guard. There's a zero percent chance we are keeping all three of Smart, Rozier and Irving long term. Now, if you wnat too keep him to increase our chances next year then thats fine, but I think on a team with Rozier, Smart and Brown taking most of your guard minutes having Rozier isnt rally that big a boost. I like him, I'd trade him if the offer is right.

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2018, 12:33:40 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

I think Bridges will become a star role player in the same mold as Green.

TP to ya.

Although, I believe MPJ will be the biggest draft steal if he drops past the sixth pick..
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2018, 01:28:59 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

So basically we keep Rozier for one more season and we lose him for nothing in 2019 (unless the cap explodes). No realistic chance for a sign and trade, cause in that case we 'd still have to take back salaries. I see your point of view, but I'd rather trade him this year on draft night.

My targets would be Mo Bamba - Jaren Jackson Jr.

Rozier + #27 + Yabu + Clips 2019 protected first for the best pick we can possibly get (#6 or #7??)

If Bamba-JJJ are out of our reach, I'd be OK with Mikal Bridges as well (wouldn't give up 2 picks+Rozier+Yabu for him).

Worst case scenario, I 'd trade Rozier straight up for a pick in the late lottery with a view to draft Shai Gilgeous-Alexander.

Not sold on Porter, but that's just me.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 02:05:57 PM by Jvalin »