Author Topic: Michael Porter Jr meeting with Celtics today  (Read 6980 times)

Re: Michael Porter Jr meeting with Celtics today
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2018, 11:41:02 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Maybe they're going to talk about his brother, who is likely to be available in the 20s.

As for trading Rozier, it's definitely a buyer's market for point guards. I don't think we'll get much in return for him. But as they say, it only takes one GM to fall in love with him, convince himself that he's not a product of Stevens's system, and believe that trading draft picks to Ainge is a good move for his career.

I don't think we really know what teams will offer for Rozier any more. There isn't a precedent for this current Celtics run, and we still don't know the ending.

Considering that the most likely scenario at this point is that the C's probably get by Cleveland and will spill their guts on the floor battling GS, the rest of the league is going to have to process what happened. Some teams may very well wonder if they can get some of that lightning in a bottle by going after Rozier or Smart.

I was of the opinion that we should trade Rozier,but now the situation is so fluid,I don't know what to think. Ainge has done some amazing things in the last few years, but he's never had the massive amount of resources and leverage he will have at the end of this season. This year, he holds all the cards. After the season is over, it will be fun to watch what Ainge does.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 11:47:41 AM by td450 »

Re: Michael Porter Jr meeting with Celtics tomorrow
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2018, 11:41:30 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Before that injury many of us were touting Michael Porter Jr. as easily the best player in this draft. Would not be shocked if he skyrocketed right back into top 2 contention.

Could you imagine being a GM and watching tape of Porter and Doncic and having to envision where they'll both be in 5 years? Passing on Porter Jr. could look ridiculous when we're looking back on this draft.

To top it all off the type of season Donovan Mitchell, Simmons, Tatum just had couldn't have laid the ground work better for teams wondering if a guy like MPJ could contribute immediately. Could definitely see Porter at 2 to the Kings.
Awesome take. Orrrrrrrrr.......

Porter is taking on a ton of interviews with teams outside the top 5-10 picks because he has something in his medical records thats going to raise major red flags with teams. Jared Sullinger was considered a top 5 pick until his back injury stuff. Then he fell into the 20's to the Celtics.

Backs are funny things. They might be the most important physical part of any athlete. If Porter doesn't have the best medical records concerning his back, it would make sense for him to talk to teams farther down in the draft, because thats where he might be taken.

This would be so nuts. I was hyped for Sullinger, and happy that we drafted Sullinger. He even had a good run with us.

Porter would be like Sullinger times 100.

100 x. 300 =.  big dude

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2018, 11:44:38 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Michael Porter, at his peak, is a very reasonable Kevin Durant comp. His offensive game is that advanced already. he is also a better rebounder than Durant. It was even more advanced than Jayson Tatum's, at the same age. Believe that! We just didn't get to witness it other than the 2 games this year in the SEC tourney. I would give up half the farm, as far as amateur players go that don't get drafted in the top 2 or 3. I'm talking the Sacramento pick and the Memphis pick.
Lol, what? How can you say this after 3 games at the collegiate level??

There is nothing to indicate his offensive game is close to Durant's level, nor Tatum's. His two SEC tourney games were far from impressive, shooting 9/29. Comparing them to two guys whose calling cards are efficiency is weird.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2018, 11:55:37 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Michael Porter, at his peak, is a very reasonable Kevin Durant comp. His offensive game is that advanced already. he is also a better rebounder than Durant. It was even more advanced than Jayson Tatum's, at the same age. Believe that! We just didn't get to witness it other than the 2 games this year in the SEC tourney. I would give up half the farm, as far as amateur players go that don't get drafted in the top 2 or 3. I'm talking the Sacramento pick and the Memphis pick.

There is nothing to indicate his offensive game is close to Durant's level, nor Tatum's. His two SEC tourney games were far from impressive, shooting 9/29. Comparing them to two guys whose calling cards are efficiency is weird.
If he played the whole season you'd sing a different tune.
I'm saying at the same age their games are similar. I don't think it's a big stretch. He came back at the end of the year, after missing the whole season, without ANY reasonable practice time, to play in a conference TOURNAMENT. What did you expect, a mid-season form?
You will see. Book it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8vUnlv3DAI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV-IJSsi9tM

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2018, 11:59:58 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

If he played the whole season you'd sing a different tune.
I'm saying at the same age their games are similar. I don't think it's a big stretch. He came back at the end of the year, after missing the whole season, without ANY reasonable practice time, to play in a conference TOURNAMENT. What did you expect, a mid-season form?
You will see. Book it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8vUnlv3DAI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV-IJSsi9tM
I dunno, I've never been as high on MPJ. Always seen a Rashard Lewis type player (still a borderline All-Star, make a couple) but not an MVP candidate or anything.

Happy to be proven wrong if we somehow get him ;)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2018, 01:06:31 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
I wonder if Dallas (5th pick), or Orlando (6th pick) could be trade partners.  There is much talk in other threads about a Rozier, 27th pick to move up that high.  Maybe even add Morris to the mix too, and any non Kings/Grizzlies picks.  For someone like Mark Cuban probably looking to get back on the winning side sooner than later maybe there’s a chance there. 

I’m fine though with just running it back with the same group if that ends up happening.

To be honest, if Rozier, 27th Pick, Yabusele and the Grizzlies Pick is enough to get us pick #5 or #6 in this draft, I'm doing it.

I know that Grizzlies Pick is valuable, but this draft is loaded with big men and blue chip prospects that I think makes it worth it. It's still too early to tell, but the 2019 draft doesn't look like it'll be this good.

We still get to keep the 2019 Kings Pick, and with #5 or #6, we'd have a shot at the likes of Bamba, Porter, Carter, maybe Jaren Jackson.

I really wanted Bagley, but unfortunately I don't see him falling past #3. There's NO CHANCE we get Ayton or Doncic though, as they are likely going 1-2 in some form this Draft (unless Doncic actually decides to enter the Draft next year, where the Kings Pick looks sexy!).

Wanna get me really hot and bothered? Take that #5 or #6 you just got, combine it with the Sacramento pick and see if that gets you to #1, or at least the top 3.

Mike

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2018, 06:04:23 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I wonder if Dallas (5th pick), or Orlando (6th pick) could be trade partners.  There is much talk in other threads about a Rozier, 27th pick to move up that high.  Maybe even add Morris to the mix too, and any non Kings/Grizzlies picks.  For someone like Mark Cuban probably looking to get back on the winning side sooner than later maybe there’s a chance there. 

I’m fine though with just running it back with the same group if that ends up happening.

To be honest, if Rozier, 27th Pick, Yabusele and the Grizzlies Pick is enough to get us pick #5 or #6 in this draft, I'm doing it.

I know that Grizzlies Pick is valuable, but this draft is loaded with big men and blue chip prospects that I think makes it worth it. It's still too early to tell, but the 2019 draft doesn't look like it'll be this good.

We still get to keep the 2019 Kings Pick, and with #5 or #6, we'd have a shot at the likes of Bamba, Porter, Carter, maybe Jaren Jackson.

I really wanted Bagley, but unfortunately I don't see him falling past #3. There's NO CHANCE we get Ayton or Doncic though, as they are likely going 1-2 in some form this Draft (unless Doncic actually decides to enter the Draft next year, where the Kings Pick looks sexy!).

Wanna get me really hot and bothered? Take that #5 or #6 you just got, combine it with the Sacramento pick and see if that gets you to #1, or at least the top 3.

Mike

I really see Doncic as the only star player in this draft but there are always players who surprise throughout the Draft every year. There is some real talent here but after Doncic I don't see any as good as Tatum or Brown, but what do I know...