Author Topic: No 2nd Rounders This Year... (What Will Danny Do About It?)  (Read 4537 times)

Re: No 2nd Rounders This Year...
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2018, 09:08:40 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
We have Ojeleye, Yabusele, Nader and Theis we are developing at the NBA level. We have Bird and Allen we developed as two way players. We have the #27 pick coming in. We have upwards of 4 first round draft picks next year.

So why do we need a 2nd rounder to try to develop this year. There's only so many roster slots available and most likely one or two of the empty slots this year will be filled by veteran bigs.

There is just zero need for a 2nd round pick this year. Heck, it wouldn't surprise me to see Ainge sell or trade the #27 pick.
Agree with this. We have so much youth that needs to develop, we're going to have a hard time fitting any new guys in.

That being said, I am praying we cut Nader and pick up someone at #27 to replace him - a Grayson Allen / Trent Jr. type player. Maybe not another Dukie to save tarheels some pain, but any 2 guard we pick there will almost instantly be better than Nader, lol.

While I understand this stance, wasn't that also the argument coming into this season? Granted, widespread injuries such as those suffered by the Celtics this year thankfully aren't usually the norm, but you never know, and put me down for a hell-to-the-no in terms of drafting Grayson Allen. Dude's a punk who has no place in the NBA, imo...except, perhaps, for Golden State lmfa0 #DraymondAndDrayson #DrayDray ;D.
I can't really remember, lol. Last year was hectic, I've forgotten it all.

I'm not sure about Allen though. This time last year, I definitely agreed with that. But he seems to have cleaned up his act, and was the leader of Duke throughout the year, coming off as quite mature. Plus, his combine results are off the charts. Allen/Smart/Morris would be hilariously fiery.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2018, 09:29:21 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
We really don't need more projects on this roster right now.  I won't be at all surprised if the 1st round pick is a draft and stash.

Has everyone already forgotten about 2016? God was that a nightmare.

When Yabusele was chosen at #16, I was like "WHO???"  :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2018, 09:47:11 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
We really don't need more projects on this roster right now.  I won't be at all surprised if the 1st round pick is a draft and stash.

Same as Rozier..
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2018, 09:47:35 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Really? There was a lot of talk of him, along with other international prospects like Hernangomez, Zizic, etc., which were all slated to go around that range.

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2018, 09:52:22 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Really? There was a lot of talk of him, along with other international prospects like Hernangomez, Zizic, etc., which were all slated to go around that range.

Personally I hadn't heard much about Yabusele at the time. Guess I should have done my homework back then  :P

I knew Zizic, Hernangomez, etc., but I thought it was more likely we got Zizic at 16, but he was there at 23 too.

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2018, 10:45:26 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Lol, same. Ugh.

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2018, 10:49:55 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
We have Ojeleye, Yabusele, Nader and Theis we are developing at the NBA level. We have Bird and Allen we developed as two way players. We have the #27 pick coming in. We have upwards of 4 first round draft picks next year.

So why do we need a 2nd rounder to try to develop this year. There's only so many roster slots available and most likely one or two of the empty slots this year will be filled by veteran bigs.

There is just zero need for a 2nd round pick this year. Heck, it wouldn't surprise me to see Ainge sell or trade the #27 pick.
Agree with this. We have so much youth that needs to develop, we're going to have a hard time fitting any new guys in.

That being said, I am praying we cut Nader and pick up someone at #27 to replace him - a Grayson Allen / Trent Jr. type player. Maybe not another Dukie to save tarheels some pain, but any 2 guard we pick there will almost instantly be better than Nader, lol.

While I understand this stance, wasn't that also the argument coming into this season? Granted, widespread injuries such as those suffered by the Celtics this year thankfully aren't usually the norm, but you never know, and put me down for a hell-to-the-no in terms of drafting Grayson Allen. Dude's a punk who has no place in the NBA, imo...except, perhaps, for Golden State lmfa0 #DraymondAndDrayson #DrayDray ;D.
I can't really remember, lol. Last year was hectic, I've forgotten it all.

I'm not sure about Allen though. This time last year, I definitely agreed with that. But he seems to have cleaned up his act, and was the leader of Duke throughout the year, coming off as quite mature. Plus, his combine results are off the charts. Allen/Smart/Morris would be hilariously fiery.

It's fine, man, lol, and in terms of Allen, well, I just don't like him, primarily owing to his rap sheet being quite extensive.

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2018, 12:51:39 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
Trade down, take a Beat LA guy, let him go nuts in Summer League. Maybe give a 2 year min, and waive Nader or replace Larkin.

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2018, 01:08:01 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
For the Yabusele talk... And I'm still like Who?! The guy is garbage and won't even be in the league in 3 years. He's a poor man's Sullinger at best.

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2018, 01:37:38 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Trade down, take a Beat LA guy, let him go nuts in Summer League. Maybe give a 2 year min, and waive Nader or replace Larkin.

Hmm, I honestly never thought about trading down. Perhaps Ainge could flip 27 for two second rounders, provided that he'll still be able to get whoever he wants at those spots, respectively, but what constitutes being, "a Beat LA guy," lol?

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2018, 01:55:50 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
For the Yabusele talk... And I'm still like Who?! The guy is garbage and won't even be in the league in 3 years. He's a poor man's Sullinger at best.

His glutes alone will stay in this league for a decade.

He’s got a Kardashian-sized (but natural) rump that can’t be contained.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2018, 02:00:07 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
It would be better to trade pick #27 for a future 1st from a bad to mediocre team.  A 2019 or 2020 1st would be more useful for us.  We don't really need a late 1st talent.  Those picks tend to wash out of the NBA about 80% of the time. 

There are not many Rudy Goberts out there.  We would have to LOVE the guy who slid down to #27 to actually use the pick imo.  You generally don't want to give a guaranteed contract to a guy you don't see as part of the team's future.

If you can get a mid 2nd this year and potentially a mid 1st next year, that's probably the best move.  But what team would be willing to make that trade with the Celtics?

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2018, 02:05:00 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo

Hmm, I honestly never thought about trading down. Perhaps Ainge could flip 27 for two second rounders, provided that he'll still be able to get whoever he wants at those spots, respectively, but what constitutes being, "a Beat LA guy," lol?

A guy that put up 50 playing in the Atlantic Sun or Southland league..... and pray they turn into Scottie Pippen.  ;D

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2018, 02:27:29 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

A guy that put up 50 playing in the Atlantic Sun or Southland league..... and pray they turn into Scottie Pippen.  ;D

Lol, TP ;D #AllUnderratedTeam.

Re: No 2nd Rounders This Year... (What Will Danny Do About It?)
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2018, 10:24:34 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
So does Danny try and purchase a 2nd rounder or make a cheap trade for one?

LOVE the #27 pick by the way!  8)