Author Topic: Myles Turner Revisited (Rozier Idea) *positionless basketball*  (Read 2985 times)

Re: Myles Turner Revisited (Rozier Idea) *positionless basketball*
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2018, 02:28:47 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Awww, positionless basketball. The favorite mantra of new age basketball gurus. That sounds great until you realize that you have to defend the Kevin Loves of the world your Gordon Haywards. Oops.

In your version of matchup basketball is it forbidden to run a pick and roll to get switches and the matchups you want?  There's a reason we kept seeing Baynes and Rozier on James.  The more versatile your defenders are the less bad your matchups are after switches.  It's a pick your poison choice.
Yes, there is. When you switch everything this means that the opposing team can force every and any matchup they want.

Except you don't have to switch everything. Remember those playoff series we lost  to LeBron because he was able to force iso on Rondo or Perkins on every possession? Me neither -- that's because  they didn't happen.

Those teams fought through picks and actively helped to the strong side of the court post-pick. It's tough, it requires effort and it requires everyone one the team to be able to move their feet and be on the same page. But it works, because when executed well it forces the opponent to make a tough pass across the entire width in order to take a long jumper.

So yeah, my version of matchup basketball took us to the finals twice and won us a title. Brad's version of harebrained switching just got exposed (again) even after the Celtics brass spent years hand-picking personnel for it.

"my version"

::) ::) ::)

Unless you are pulling a Brian Colangelo on this board, that version had nothing to do with you. I trust Ainge and Stevens.

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2018, 02:34:29 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Awww, positionless basketball. The favorite mantra of new age basketball gurus. That sounds great until you realize that you have to defend the Kevin Loves of the world your Gordon Haywards. Oops.

In your version of matchup basketball is it forbidden to run a pick and roll to get switches and the matchups you want?  There's a reason we kept seeing Baynes and Rozier on James.  The more versatile your defenders are the less bad your matchups are after switches.  It's a pick your poison choice.
Yes, there is. When you switch everything this means that the opposing team can force every and any matchup they want.

Except you don't have to switch everything. Remember those playoff series we lost  to LeBron because he was able to force iso on Rondo or Perkins on every possession? Me neither -- that's because  they didn't happen.

Those teams fought through picks and actively helped to the strong side of the court post-pick. It's tough, it requires effort and it requires everyone one the team to be able to move their feet and be on the same page. But it works, because when executed well it forces the opponent to make a tough pass across the entire width in order to take a long jumper.

So yeah, my version of matchup basketball took us to the finals twice and won us a title. Brad's version of harebrained switching just got exposed (again) even after the Celtics brass spent years hand-picking personnel for it.

"my version"

::) ::) ::)

Unless you are pulling a Brian Colangelo on this board, that version had nothing to do with you. I trust Ainge and Stevens.
Chilidawg called it that, hence the italics. Direct all your grievances to him.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2018, 02:58:33 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Turner will not be traded any time soon.