Author Topic: The one guy I want this offseason: Jaren Jackson at #4  (Read 1535 times)

The one guy I want this offseason: Jaren Jackson at #4
« on: May 29, 2018, 10:11:12 PM »

Offline Boise To Boston

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
If I’m Trader Danny, I have to realize a few things:

1) I need a good young big. Cost controled, preferably.
2) Jaren Jackson is the most complete big in the 2018 or 2019 draft. Others might be better offensively (Ayton) or have more potential defensively (Bamba), but Jackson is the switchiest, stretchiest, do-everything big man in either draft. He is like a bigger Horford in embryo state.
3) I might have five first round picks in the next two years, and maybe 7-8 over the next three years. All those guys ain’t making the team. I can take a bunch of swings and hope I hit a home run, or I can drive in two runs right now with a single.
4) The Salary Cap will come calling. Won’t be able to pay everyone, so the way to keep the ball rolling is with good young guns on cheap contracts, not trading for an all-star quality guy that is gonna cost $30m per season.

With all that said, I would definitely give up Rozier (probably need a third team) the Sacramento/Philly pick, and the Memphis pick to move up to the 4-6 range to grab him.

Big question is- would that get it done?  And would Danny actually do it?  We know he was willing to trade 4 picks one year to get Winslow. Is this the year that Danny opens the war chest to get us the piece we need for a sustained 4-8 year run??

Re: The one guy I want this offseason: Jaren Jackson at #4
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 10:22:14 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
If Danny pushes all his chips in the middle it might get it done but he couldn't get a deal for 4 1st round picks to move up to the backend of the draft for justice Winslow so it would take another team to want to trade out of the top the draft. The only team at the top that might want to trade out is Orlando but I think they'd only do it for some established talent not for more picks later. Orlando has the 6th pick and I think Jackson will be gone by then. I like Jackson too but it is highly doubtful that Danny could trade up for him.

The only one at the top of this draft that makes my mouth water is Doncic. I have seen some drafts with him falling.

I think Danny takes a draft and stash in the 1st round ( ISAAC BONGA) and buys his way into the second round for someone who falls (MORITZ WAGNER).

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 10:23:03 PM »

Offline G-Bones

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 89
I want Jackson, also.  Love to see it happen,

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 11:18:37 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I want Bagley. I would be literally willing to give up anything minus our starting five for the chance to bring in someone like him. His motor is incredible, and he has so much potential.

Jackson and Wendell Carter Jr., are great players but I'm not convinced they are going to be anything better than an role player.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 11:26:35 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Need a big to battle Embiid. Bamba

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 11:57:12 AM »

Offline Boise To Boston

• Sam Hauser
Man I'm just not sure on Bagley.  He's a poor shooter and unlikely to improve (given his FT%).  And he's not a rim protector (very low block rate).  He's going to be awesome as a rim-runner, and as a switch anything defender and rebounder.  I think he ends up being like Clint Capella with less rim protection and more boards.  Is he really worth it?  And I certainly don't think he fits with the Celtics. 

I want Bagley. I would be literally willing to give up anything minus our starting five for the chance to bring in someone like him. His motor is incredible, and he has so much potential.

Jackson and Wendell Carter Jr., are great players but I'm not convinced they are going to be anything better than an role player.

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 11:58:33 AM »

Offline Boise To Boston

• Sam Hauser
In the long-run Bamba can be that guy.  But in the short run Jackson has a better NBA body and a higher block-rate than Bamba, who was actually not a great one-on-one post defender in college - he got pushed around a lot.

Need a big to battle Embiid. Bamba

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 12:00:18 PM »

Offline Boise To Boston

• Sam Hauser
There have been plenty of other drafts (you can see them elsewhere on this board) where 2-3 picks was enough to move up in the draft.

If he doesn't move up, I like your idea to take Bonga

If Danny pushes all his chips in the middle it might get it done but he couldn't get a deal for 4 1st round picks to move up to the backend of the draft for justice Winslow so it would take another team to want to trade out of the top the draft. The only team at the top that might want to trade out is Orlando but I think they'd only do it for some established talent not for more picks later. Orlando has the 6th pick and I think Jackson will be gone by then. I like Jackson too but it is highly doubtful that Danny could trade up for him.

The only one at the top of this draft that makes my mouth water is Doncic. I have seen some drafts with him falling.

I think Danny takes a draft and stash in the 1st round ( ISAAC BONGA) and buys his way into the second round for someone who falls (MORITZ WAGNER).