Author Topic: How high of a pick could Rozier get us?  (Read 2224 times)

How high of a pick could Rozier get us?
« on: May 17, 2018, 10:48:47 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
It seems like Scary Terry is playing himself out of Boston, next season someone is offering him the max and we won't be able/willing to match so IMO unless he is being packaged in a Davis deal, Celtics front office should entertain the thought of trading him for a pick in this deep draft especially given the depth of front court talent.

A quick look at the draft position of Clippers at 12 & 13 says we could get one of those picks (Bradley, Rivers (PO), Teodosic (PO) are off-contract) but could we go higher? Hornets are going to trade Kemba, so Rozier would be a great replacement for the 11th pick... and who knows maybe with the right package we could convince Orlando to part with the 6th pick.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 10:54:18 AM by slightly biased bias fan »

Re: How high of a pick could Rozier get us?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 11:12:27 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
It seems like Scary Terry is playing himself out of Boston, next season someone is offering him the max and we won't be able/willing to match so IMO unless he is being packaged in a Davis deal, Celtics front office should entertain the thought of trading him for a pick in this deep draft especially given the depth of front court talent.

A quick look at the draft position of Clippers at 12 & 13 says we could get one of those picks (Bradley, Rivers (PO), Teodosic (PO) are off-contract) but could we go higher? Hornets are going to trade Kemba, so Rozier would be a great replacement for the 11th pick... and who knows maybe with the right package we could convince Orlando to part with the 6th pick.

I don't know anywhere near enough about who might be available at #6, but if one of those promising big men that folks have been talking about all year is available, I think we might entice Orlando with Terry plus the Sac pick.    I am of the opinion that GMs are very hesitant to trade high draft picks (especially in a top heavy draft) when the pick they trade could turn out to be a very high quality player.  Terry Rozier seems like a sure thing (sure starter) to us, but I think GMs might see him as a guy who is close to his ceiling and who is looking good in part due to his role in Boston. 

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 11:19:03 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Besides the teams (and picks) that you mentioned, I think that we may be able to pull off a deal with either Knicks (#9 pick) or Chicago (#7 pick). I assume both teams will be looking for a point guard in this draft. The #7 pick might be a bit unrealistic if Trae Young is still on the board and I don't see who we would be interested in picking at #9 (doubt Bamba will still be available - a possible target for Cavs at #8?).

Regarding the Chicago pick at #7: Weren't they interested in picking Rozier at #21 instead of Bobby Portis in the draft? If they are still interested that might make a deal with Chicago plausible.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 11:48:27 AM by TA9 »
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 11:21:48 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I don't think Terry is getting the max from anyone. Not in a league with so many good pg's and not after he spends another season coming off the bench behind Kyrie. So I'm not worried about having to match a max.

And I'm not worried about him leaving for nothing because that rarely happens with restricted free agency. I think if he stays another year, the most likely outcome is a sign and trade the summer of '19, which is fine with me because I think he can help the C's win a championship next year and we'll still have Kyrie (only 2 years older than Terry) and Marcus around.

To actually answer your question: Orlando, and Cleveland need pg's but I don't think anyone else in the lottery is dying for a pg and if there are 2 pg's projected to go in the top 10, no one might want to trade out of the lottery for Rozier (and I'd be a little surprised if Cleveland wanted to deal with Boston). So this year, Rozier might not fetch much for a draft pick.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 11:27:57 AM by Big333223 »
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 11:28:36 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
Soon the rest of the NBA will figure out that you are not going to get the same players as Celtics as they will get for their new teams ... Literally every player that has left/trade Stevens for another team has gotten progressively worse... IT/Crowder/Johnson(already bad)/Bradley/Jerkbo/Turner/Olynck(about the same?)

hopefully this will eventually be the "Stevens incentive"

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 11:33:41 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
We need an owner to look at Terry the way Sacramento looked at Buddy Hield last year.

Also, picking six through 12 is hardly a guarantee that you are going to get a quality starter. If you already have a few players with upside because you have been picking high in the draft, it might be time to look for a guy who has shown he can play at this level. Think about Orlando – they already have Isaac and Aaron, and they have a guy in Fournier who can play. Do they really want to draft a point guard and wait a few years to see if he pans out? Why not inject a guy you know Kim play, and who might also bring some needed grit and winning team culture? I also think that Orlando is not a team like Boston, that is thinking championship or bust. Getting out of the basement would be worth something.

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 11:45:33 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Well, who knows what we could get but I do agree that if there is an odd man out, it probably should be Rozier. 

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 01:30:31 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
What does a top point guard get back in trade?

Just look back to the Jrue Holiday trade.

The Sixers obtained Nerlens Noel (drafted #6 overall in 2013) and the 14th pick of the 2014 NBA draft.

This probably does not happen in quite this way for us.  But it does set a standard.

We might end up trading Rozier, but he is going to end up a hell of a player for someone.  I would love for us to extend both Rozier and Smart as they have been great for us in the playoffs.

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 01:35:07 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Why on earth would we give up Terry PLUS the Sacramento pick for #6 when the Sacramento pick alone has a huge possibility of being a top 5 pick?

That makes ZERO sense.  Terry was a #16 overall pick and he has played like he should have been taken top 6 overall, top 10 at worst in his draft class.

If we trade him for a pick, it would be the other team needing to add, not the other way around.

I don't know anywhere near enough about who might be available at #6, but if one of those promising big men that folks have been talking about all year is available, I think we might entice Orlando with Terry plus the Sac pick.    I am of the opinion that GMs are very hesitant to trade high draft picks (especially in a top heavy draft) when the pick they trade could turn out to be a very high quality player.  Terry Rozier seems like a sure thing (sure starter) to us, but I think GMs might see him as a guy who is close to his ceiling and who is looking good in part due to his role in Boston.

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 01:43:49 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
With every win here on out, the price is going up. If we somehow get through Lebron, the price goes up, if somehow we get through the next opponent and win the finals, then what? Besides hanging a banner, how valuable would Terry be then and would it change the way we view moving forward if he continues to have a big impact on us winning. Does Danny start to think, hmm..maybe I will throw Kyrie/Kings pick and a ton of other stuff to Pelicans if Davis wants out which I dont believe is going to happen in the near term.

I am clueless what the value is now and what it could be if things continue to be incredible for us. I would think now it is 6-10 but if we are in the finals, it could be bumped a few notches higher. '

How valuable he would be to us though if we kept him and had a duo of Kyrie/Rozier for an entire 48 minutes per night?Pretty Scary stuff....I am in the court of keeping him until I at least see Kyrie's recovery and prognosis but Danny is the Trader and he knows striking when the gold is falling from the sky.

Maybe in the end, he is more valuable to us as a Celtics player next season. But depending on things this year, everything can change based on results.

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 01:49:37 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4
15 to Phoenix is still as high as I think we will get. Maybe they throw in Bender or Chriss but Ive got no interest in either of those guys.

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 01:56:04 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
The problem is that Terry is an RFA after next year.  So, he's only cost controlled for one year.  The team trading for him has to be willing to match any offer he would get from any other team (or sign him to a long-term deal if that's doable).  That really limits the options and therefore the value of the pick.

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2018, 01:58:53 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Mid draft, so 15 give or take a few slots. Its all about finding a match with a pick in that range of valuable but not too valuable.

Given how well this team is playing and the potential for next year I think keeping him and letting him walk might be the play to maximize next year's potential. I can't imagine he'll accept an extension at the number the C's will offer. Both for money reasons and simply because I think Terry wants to start in the league.

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2018, 02:00:42 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Not high enough. Having a guy like Terry on the bench will be invaluable if we want to go for a Championship next season (which we should do)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2018, 02:40:01 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Mid draft, so 15 give or take a few slots. Its all about finding a match with a pick in that range of valuable but not too valuable.

Given how well this team is playing and the potential for next year I think keeping him and letting him walk might be the play to maximize next year's potential. I can't imagine he'll accept an extension at the number the C's will offer. Both for money reasons and simply because I think Terry wants to start in the league.

My initial reaction is that Terry Rozier who has proven to be a steal at 16 would fetch back more than his original draft slot.  I think if your pick is in the 7-10 range, landing a Rozier-caliber talent would be considered a win generally, so that would be fair value.

Looking back through the few years of picks 7-10 leading up to Rozier's draft I see: Biyombo, Brandin Knight, Kemba, Jimmer Fredette, Harrison Barnes, Terrence Ross, Andre Drummond, Austin Rivers, Ben McLemore, KCP, Trey Burke, CJ McCollum, Julius Randle, Nik Stauskas, Noah Vonleh, Elfrid Payton, Mudiay, Stanley Johnson, Kaminsky, Justice Winslow.

Rozier would be in the top half of that crop meaning pretty good value for that range on average.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur