Author Topic: How high of a pick could Rozier get us?  (Read 2261 times)

Re: How high of a pick could Rozier get us?
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2018, 02:41:46 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
Not high enough. Having a guy like Terry on the bench will be invaluable if we want to go for a Championship next season (which we should do)

Yeah, I agree this draft seems a little top heavy. It might be the draft to trade the 1st for 2nds but we don't really have any room on our roster unless we let go of some guys. I really like this team just the way it is. Maybe some team falls in love with a late 1st round prospect and Danny can get a future 1st from them.

There does seem to be value all the way into the late 2nd round here though....

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2018, 08:33:48 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
Why on earth would we give up Terry PLUS the Sacramento pick for #6 when the Sacramento pick alone has a huge possibility of being a top 5 pick?

That makes ZERO sense.  Terry was a #16 overall pick and he has played like he should have been taken top 6 overall, top 10 at worst in his draft class.

If we trade him for a pick, it would be the other team needing to add, not the other way around.

I don't know anywhere near enough about who might be available at #6, but if one of those promising big men that folks have been talking about all year is available, I think we might entice Orlando with Terry plus the Sac pick.    I am of the opinion that GMs are very hesitant to trade high draft picks (especially in a top heavy draft) when the pick they trade could turn out to be a very high quality player.  Terry Rozier seems like a sure thing (sure starter) to us, but I think GMs might see him as a guy who is close to his ceiling and who is looking good in part due to his role in Boston.

Because TR has more value to the Celtics than he does to others.  Of course I don't know this -- but this is what I think.  I think the #6 in a top-heavy draft (perhaps far better than what next year's #6 will get), is very high value.   We'd give a rotation guard (a mid-level starter) and a draft pick that is possibly in the top 5 next year -- but also possibly 6 to 10 in predictably less talented draft class.   

Yeah, I think this blog is overvaluing what TR would return in terms of a draft pick in this year's draft and if you want to get into the elite range of picks THIS YEAR -- you have to give some strong value along with TR.   I also may be wrong.

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2018, 08:38:51 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Terry Rozier is not getting the max. Sorry, that's crazy.

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2018, 03:54:32 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Late lottery at best if there’s a believer, probably not though

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2018, 04:25:19 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
If Kyrie is not committed to resigning, Terry is going nowhere. I am sure Danny will or has had long talks with Kyrie about his future with us so until he knows for sure, trading Terry for a pick or anything is most likely not going to happen. It could be the quietest summer ever or one that shocks us all!

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2018, 04:38:08 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
My general estimation would be as follows:

• Probable best offer: 15-20
  • Reasonable offer: 11-14
  • Offer the Celtics should accept: top 10 pick

Teams often value draft picks more when the draft approaches and fall in love with a draft prospect, therefore I think teams only offer a mid-late first rounder. A late lottery pick seems as fair value to me. Rozier has outplayed his draft spot and has upside. On the other hand a draftee will have 3 more years under the rookie scale and could be the next 'Donovan Mitchell'.

An early lottery pick would be far too risky for teams to offer, however I believe Rozier's value to the Celtics is that high that we should demand a good lottery pick (which we won't get and therefore shouldn't trade him). Of course the exact draft pick you would accept depends on your assessment of this draft class.

I haven't been following draft analyses as much as previous years, but it seems like a deep draft at the top. If a player like Bamba or Carter would drop to a mid lottery pick I would want to make a trade for Rozier (and sweeten the deal with a non-Kings 1st).

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2018, 09:31:18 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I think a trade up in the draft is very possible. Ainge has Rozier, Brown and high draft picks that could be expendable.It depends on whether Ainge sees somebody he wants and has the assets to trade up to get him. The rumor is he wants to trade up to get  Bamba. But the media has made such a big deal about the kid, and GMs are suckers for bigs in the draft, so this doesn't look likely. His value has gone up with all the publicity. But there could be others. Their biggest need is a tall rim protector that can pass the Stevens 3P acid test. Anybody else out there besides Bamba and Ayton?

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2018, 09:46:09 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
My general estimation would be as follows:

• Probable best offer: 15-20
  • Reasonable offer: 11-14
  • Offer the Celtics should accept: top 10 pick

Teams often value draft picks more when the draft approaches and fall in love with a draft prospect, therefore I think teams only offer a mid-late first rounder. A late lottery pick seems as fair value to me. Rozier has outplayed his draft spot and has upside. On the other hand a draftee will have 3 more years under the rookie scale and could be the next 'Donovan Mitchell'.

An early lottery pick would be far too risky for teams to offer, however I believe Rozier's value to the Celtics is that high that we should demand a good lottery pick (which we won't get and therefore shouldn't trade him). Of course the exact draft pick you would accept depends on your assessment of this draft class.

I haven't been following draft analyses as much as previous years, but it seems like a deep draft at the top. If a player like Bamba or Carter would drop to a mid lottery pick I would want to make a trade for Rozier (and sweeten the deal with a non-Kings 1st).

I think this is pretty much spot on.  With the Celtics PG position up in the air next year (Smart’s free agency, Kyrie’s injury), Rozier should only be traded for a pick that can land us an elite prospect, and not merely a good prospect.  Failing that, it’s best to keep him and see if he can be even better in year 4 than year 3.  And it is quite likely that another team won’t need Rozier as much next year as we do, which is perfectly fine.

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2018, 10:00:09 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
I would compare him to the top PGs in the draft. Do you like him more or less? That should help to determine his market value. I don't like Trae Young and I'm unsure about Colin Sexton. I actually don't think this is a strong draft.

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2018, 10:02:51 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I would compare him to the top PGs in the draft. Do you like him more or less? That should help to determine his market value. I don't like Trae Young and I'm unsure about Colin Sexton. I actually don't think this is a strong draft.

Agree

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2018, 10:17:22 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
If Kyrie is not committed to resigning, Terry is going nowhere. I am sure Danny will or has had long talks with Kyrie about his future with us so until he knows for sure, trading Terry for a pick or anything is most likely not going to happen. It could be the quietest summer ever or one that shocks us all!
So, until we have Kyrie signed or at least committed Rozier is going nowhere. I like that reasoning. Then why not resign and trade Smart? Or Morris? either or both and our pick should be enough to move us up in the draft.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2018, 10:22:45 PM »

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598
People here still don't know how Danny works with draft picks. He doesn't trade players for immediate draft picks. He always trade for future picks with unknown projection and uncertain team future. See his pattern:

2012 - Clippers pick via OKC. Would have been a late lottery if it wasn't for the CP3 trade. Turned into Fab Melo
2013 - Mavs pick. C's were rebuilding so it made sense to trade up for the draft. Turned into Olynyk
2014 - Nets pick. Just a gravy for much better picks from the same package. Turned into James Young
2016 - Mavs pick acquired from Rondo trade. Turned out to be Yabusele
2016 - Nets pick. One of the prized assets. Turned into Jaylen
2017 - Nets swap. Another valuable asset. Turned into Tatum
2019 - Clips pick (lottery protected, quite complicated).
2019 - Griz pick

It doesn't make sense if Ainge got the picks from the time the deal was exactly made as they were projected to be late first. LAC 2012, DAL 2016, LAC 2019 and MEM 2019 have unknown draft projection. So was the 3 other BKN picks which one of them was turned into 2019 SAC pick

Keep an eye on both the LAC and MEM pick as they might also turn into another gold. If Danny is to trade Rozier, he'll probably ask for a pick from 2020 onwards.

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2018, 10:34:57 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Terry is a solid combo guard. I don't see his value as a point guard though. Call me crazy.

Anyway he just doesn't seem to have starting point guard chops. In Boston, since Cousy, we know what a starting PG is.

Terry is what he is in Boston, really good off the bench guy, if a team needs what he has, Ainge could get a pick for him, but since when does Ainge want picks now? He's like $112 dollars under the cap and everybody on the roster is getting a raise over the next few years.

14th pick overall...just keep him, going for the bacon next season and we need to be Scary.