Author Topic: Pierce responds to Tatum comparison and compares Jaylen to a current all star  (Read 4513 times)

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Regarding Tatum comparison:
It would be understandable if an ex-Celtic with his number already in the rafters and basketball immortality in Springfield in his future would blanch at a 20-year-old kid being compared to him. But Pierce appreciates Tatum’s game as much as anyone, and sees the similarities in the comparisons others have made.

“I see a lot of things Jayson does, how he creates space, gets to the hole deceptively, the way he knocks down shots — he’s a real shotmaker, he can get his shot off on anybody,’’ said Pierce. “He’s smart. He uses his body well, the way he pushes off with his shoulder to get an open shot. He has a lot of craftiness to his game, and that probably reminds I lot of people of me.

“I see it, I definitely do. I wasn’t the most athletic guy. Tatum is a lot more athletic than I was. He can use either hand. Once he gets a little stronger in the near future, look out. I mean, he’s obviously smart beyond his years.

“When I came out, I was a 21-year-old,’’ Pierce continued. “He was 19 for most of this season. I know that doesn’t sound like a lot, but a year and a half, two years, that’s a lot of developmental time. I had three years of college [at Kansas] to develop. He had one year [at Duke], and he’s already doing this. He’s a superstar in the making. You can compare a kid like that to me anytime you want.’’

Jaylen's NBA comparison:
“Jaylen can be your prototype swingman, a guy who can defend, shoot 3s, everything you need. He sort of reminds me of Kawhi Leonard, man. Like, seriously. Strong, very athletic in the open court, an improving handle, and now he’s knocking down 3s with confidence. He is way ahead of the curve.’’

The full article can be read here: https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2018/05/17/paul-pierce-jayson-tatum-celtics-news
Jack of all trades, master of none.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Love how Paul stands up for the Celtics on ESPN, before it is popular. Now everyone wants to jump on the bandwagon.

Also seem surprised by Paul's humbleness in the Tatum comparison, essentially saying Tatum is playing better than him at that age, and that he is more athletic, etc.  Pierce sometimes lacked self-awareness as a player before the big 3 days. Seems like he's really matured, his ego is in check.

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Imagine these comps pan out? Imagine we have a cerebral Kawhi Leonard, and a slightly longer, more athletic Paul Pierce (passing is obviously behind at the moment) for the next 10 years? Oh boy.
#JKJB

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Love how Paul stands up for the Celtics on ESPN, before it is popular. Now everyone wants to jump on the bandwagon.

Also seem surprised by Paul's humbleness in the Tatum comparison, essentially saying Tatum is playing better than him at that age, and that he is more athletic, etc.  Pierce sometimes lacked self-awareness as a player before the big 3 days. Seems like he's really matured, his ego is in check.

Pierce grew and matured a lot during the latter part of his career, and he continues to be a mature person, as well as an astute observer of the basketball world. He's way better than most former players when it comes to analysis and public speaking.

Imagine these comps pan out? Imagine we have a cerebral Kawhi Leonard, and a slightly longer, more athletic Paul Pierce (passing is obviously behind at the moment) for the next 10 years? Oh boy.

That would be awesome, and I'm starting to think it's true. This isn't Dee Brown and Al Jefferson—no disrespect to them; they were solid players and I like them; but the Flying Jays have a real opportunity to become all-NBA players.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Pierce is fair and humble in his assessment about Tatum, especially acknowledging the difference in age but I don't buy the "more athletic" narrative.  I guess he means that Tatum can jump a little higher but Pierce was much thicker and stronger and I believe as quick if not quicker.  Tatum may also be a better pure shooter in the end but Pierce did a lot with his strength and quickness that Tatum may not ever be able to do.  Pierce also had a grittiness intangible that Tatum may or may not develop (kind of like Smart).  Pierce had it from day one.

Tatum has a very promising future, he may end up better than Pierce, but he will need to get stronger (which he probably will as he matures physically) and continue to develop his game every year.  He is ahead of Pierce in some areas but not in others.  Even that the comparison is being discussed it a testament to Tatum's potential.

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
That quote has me irrationally excited.  ;D

Offline dysgenic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
At times Tatum reminds me of Jamal Crawford. 

Offline Joyride

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3
I think we're looking at a real possibility that the whole starting lineup for 2018-19 Celts could be on the All-Star Team if the NBA goes back to East and West teams.

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
So I went to look at PP age just to get an idea and it looks like he was indeed about a year older when he started his career than tatum.  The other thing that stood out to me is that PP was on the very young side (October birthday) throughout his development.  Sort of refreshing to see as many athletes today are held back to gain an edge.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I really don't see it.

They both have pretty long arms, but that's about it.

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
Tatum does remind me of Paul in ways and while I am not sure but to me Jaylen is starting to resemble Kobe. The guy can seriously score and he is strong and doesn't back down from a challenge.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I really don't see it.

They both have pretty long arms, but that's about it.

Yeah, I don’t get the comparison. Different positions, vastly different strengths.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
For perspective, a lot of people compared Tatum to Danny Granger and Jaylen to Jimmy Butler when they were coming out of college. To me, it seems like they both have outgrown their old comparisons.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Tatum actually reminds me a little bit of Durant at times with his combination of length and grace.  Durant, of course, is several inches taller.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
Tatum actually reminds me a little bit of Durant at times with his combination of length and grace.  Durant, of course, is several inches taller.

Tatum can still grow a bit....  I don't think he'll be nearly 7 feet like Durant (although it's possible I suppose) but he could add an inch possibly.  He's just very long and has the shooting touch already.  I honestly think Durant is the closest comparison from the eye test.  Both are very lanky.

Without getting too ahead, I agree with the Kawhi comparison on Brown...  I don't think Brown will be as good as Kawhi on defense (I believe Kawhi has a freakishly long wingspan and vertical which allows him to guard the area of a center with the quickness of a guard) but offensively I think it's a good comparison.  Brown isn't elite at anything offensively except maybe finishing at the rim but he's very good at almost everything except for free throws.  His 3P shot is improving drastically, and his mid range pull up is so smooth at times.