Author Topic: Value of Orlando’s 6th pick this year vs. our Sacto pick  (Read 4081 times)

Re: Value of Orlando’s 6th pick this year vs. our Sacto pick
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2018, 08:43:40 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
This only happens if Rozier is involved I think, but then that would likely be too much to give up for the 6th pick in a 3 player draft (Doncic, Ayton, Bagley)

I don't know, I think if Bamba is on the board for the 6th pick, you pull that trigger. He's not Stevens ideal big, but he's long, rebounds, gets garbage points, blocks shots(which we really need) and can step out and hit 18 footers.

Great thing about him, is he's a prospect big. He can come off the bench for a couple years behind Horford, learning under him.

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2018, 09:06:54 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
I think we’re missing a key point here... we’d rather draft next year. They’d rather draft this year. Basically any trades in which we give our sac pick for a pick in this draft make 0 sense for us. Why give any asset (Orlando will want it) to get a pick that we value less? This goes for all trades into this draft. It has to be a sitatuon where were not giving up sac19, which no team will agree to unless were giving up a premium asset (not Rozier... think Jaylen level premium). Bottom line, we’re not trading into this draft. All of these threads do not make sense.

Say we dealt Rozier, Sac 19 and #27 for #6.

Isn’t the #27 18-19 salary + Roziers 18-19 salary about the same as the salary of #6?

That’s a question not an argument, but if it’s the same $ doesn’t that mitigate our issues with 2018?

The key behind this being that Porter or Carter are better talents than next year’s crop and at positions of need. If we assume they’re special players and great fits here.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2018, 11:20:09 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
I think we’re missing a key point here... we’d rather draft next year. They’d rather draft this year. Basically any trades in which we give our sac pick for a pick in this draft make 0 sense for us. Why give any asset (Orlando will want it) to get a pick that we value less? This goes for all trades into this draft. It has to be a sitatuon where were not giving up sac19, which no team will agree to unless were giving up a premium asset (not Rozier... think Jaylen level premium). Bottom line, we’re not trading into this draft. All of these threads do not make sense.

Isn’t the #27 18-19 salary + Roziers 18-19 salary about the same as the salary of #6?

That’s a question not an argument, but if it’s the same $ doesn’t that mitigate our issues with 2018?

The key behind this being that Porter or Carter are better talents than next year’s crop and at positions of need. If we assume they’re special players and great fits here.

It's a bit tricky because draft picks have no trade value until they sign a contract. So the trade can be agreed on principle prior to signing contracts for the 2018 draft picks and then completed after signing. The SAC 19 draft pick will have 0 value, of course, because the trade will happen 1 year before the pick gets signed.

So if I did the math right:
Rozier ($3,050,389)
#27 pick ($1,367,000)
Sac19 ($0)
Total: ($4,417,389)

2018 #6 ($4,019,600)

So, the trade works out, money wise, assuming they wait until after the picks have signed contracts.

The problem? The Celtics are giving up Rozier, a first rounder, and a pick that should be around #6 next year for the 6th pick this year. Rozier's production alone in a season in which we're expected to be favorites in the East is enough to say forget it. Also, Ainge has gone on record stating that he will never trade our own first rounders. I think that he plans to use his late first round draft picks as cheap bench players to keep costs down once we hit the luxury tax bill in 2019.

I don't see any way we trade into the 2018 NBA lottery that makes sense. It's either sacrificing too much up front with no great long term return (your scenario), or it prices us out of resigning Marcus Smart (like if we just trade a couple picks + SAC19 pick for 2018 #6).

Best chance to get into the 2018 NBA lottery is trade Kyrie Irving for the pick + expiring contract. Ainge would be a fool to give up a bird in the hand in a potential championship season.

I know that it's fun to theory craft, but this is really dead on arrival.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 11:25:44 PM by Erik »

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2018, 11:36:31 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Forgot to answer your last part about 2019:

The 2019 players will be hyped soon, don't worry. Every year the current draft class gets hyped and it's always "the best class since 2003." It's just natural human response: hope. Everyone wants to hope that they're going to get the ping pong balls and Ayton is the next Shaq and Ben Simmons is the next Magic Johnson, and Markelle Fultz is the next James Harden. Sometimes they're good, sometimes they're bad.

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2018, 12:27:16 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Yep I'm with you man TP.

We are adding Gordon Hayward and Kyrie Irving and another First rounder. We could move up more modestly to the late teens.

.I would rather win the title next year and then come back with a top 5 pick that's just me I'm slow rolling this.

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2018, 12:34:38 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

This is ridiculous talk to think Ainge is going to overpay for the sixth pick. With a possible top 3 pick at stake next year.

The move is Rozier for a sliding player that Ainge loves. Even if it was pick #12. Who knows who could slide that far. Porter, Bamba, Carter someone will slide.

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2018, 12:45:24 AM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
The kings are a lottery team next year... and we have 1 to 3 more first rounders next year.. so more power to move up... do not trade the sac pick

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2018, 09:05:51 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
The kings are a lottery team next year... and we have 1 to 3 more first rounders next year.. so more power to move up... do not trade the sac pick

Problem is next year is full of SG/SF/PF's in the top part of the draft. There are only three centers right now projected to go in the lotto and two of them are out side the top ten. With Brown and Tatum we don't really need an other wing.

If JJJ, Carter or Bamba is available for a combo of Rozier and the Sac pick I think you pull the trigger. I get taking best player available when you have the pick, but when you move up, you're looking for fit. Guy like Bamba who is long, and can stretch the floor a bit would be better than getting Zion who gets us log jamed in the wings with Brown,Tatum and Hayward. And a guy like Bamba would need some time to develop and can come off the bench for Horford the next couple years.

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2018, 09:54:49 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I'd much rather have the 6th pick in this draft than the Kings/Sixers pick next draft. 

1) The Kings finished 7th worst this season with an incentive to tank and next season they'll have no incentive to tank.
2) The 2018 draft looks good whereas the 2019 draft looks weak. 
3) The #1 protection and the Sixers strong performance this season makes the King pick much less valuable.  If the Kings do end up as a bottom 3 team, there's a 14% chance of the #1 pick so you'd end up with the Sixers pick in the 20s instead.
4) The change in percentages and choosing the top 4 instead of top 3 next draft adds significant variability which hurts the Kings pick value. 

If the Kings were to finish 3rd worst next season, the lottery odds would be:
 1st   2nd  3rd   4th   5th   6th  7th
.140 .134 .127 .120 .148 .260 .070

So there would be a 14% chance of ending up with a pick in the 20s and a 33% chance of ending up with the 6th or 7th pick. 

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2018, 09:57:56 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

It's a bit tricky because draft picks have no trade value until they sign a contract. So the trade can be agreed on principle prior to signing contracts for the 2018 draft picks and then completed after signing. The SAC 19 draft pick will have 0 value, of course, because the trade will happen 1 year before the pick gets signed.

So if I did the math right:
Rozier ($3,050,389)
#27 pick ($1,367,000)
Sac19 ($0)
Total: ($4,417,389)

2018 #6 ($4,019,600)

So, the trade works out, money wise, assuming they wait until after the picks have signed contracts.

The problem? The Celtics are giving up Rozier, a first rounder, and a pick that should be around #6 next year for the 6th pick this year. Rozier's production alone in a season in which we're expected to be favorites in the East is enough to say forget it. Also, Ainge has gone on record stating that he will never trade our own first rounders. I think that he plans to use his late first round draft picks as cheap bench players to keep costs down once we hit the luxury tax bill in 2019.

I don't see any way we trade into the 2018 NBA lottery that makes sense. It's either sacrificing too much up front with no great long term return (your scenario), or it prices us out of resigning Marcus Smart (like if we just trade a couple picks + SAC19 pick for 2018 #6).

Best chance to get into the 2018 NBA lottery is trade Kyrie Irving for the pick + expiring contract. Ainge would be a fool to give up a bird in the hand in a potential championship season.

I know that it's fun to theory craft, but this is really dead on arrival.

I don’t think you’re wrong, I just think it’s possible if Danny decides he has to deal Terry. Kyrie, Hayward and and Smart if healthy can play 90 of the 96 guard minutes, so Terry might have to go. If he does, and you package him with #27 and Sac 19, you’re really dealing sac 19 for #6 since #27 is very low value in comparison to the other assets, and Rozier was gonna be dealt anyway.

But the move is only made if you think Wendell Carter is Al 2.0 or Porter is Tatum 2.0.

But I agree, unlikely to happen. It just doesn’t seem like we have roster space for all the picks either.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2018, 03:57:15 PM »

Online rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Not sure. Ainge could probably have demanded that the Lakers pick only convey if 2-6 instead of 2-5

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2018, 04:06:05 PM »

Offline vwoodruff

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 45
There is no way Ainge is trading the Sacramento pick. There is way too much risk for the opposing GM to take on and as a result won't give reasonably equivalent value. The risk for the Cs to hold on is low. It's going to take other assets to move up in the draft.

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2018, 04:13:16 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Not sure. Ainge could probably have demanded that the Lakers pick only convey if 2-6 instead of 2-5
why? It was ended up being 10th

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2018, 04:13:42 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
There is no way Ainge is trading the Sacramento pick. There is way too much risk for the opposing GM to take on and as a result won't give reasonably equivalent value. The risk for the Cs to hold on is low. It's going to take other assets to move up in the draft.
agree

That pick is once again looking to be a very nice player next year

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2018, 04:14:29 PM »

Online rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
why? It was ended up being 10th

I meant Ainge didn’t value a potential #6 as much as a backup plan which was the Sac pick