Poll

We're holding #27. Will we be involved in a draft day trade?

Fireworks: A trade involving Rozier or greater
Minor Trade: #27 or anyone < Rozier
No moves.

Author Topic: Draft Day/Pick Trades: Fireworks, Minor Trade or No Trade?  (Read 2977 times)

Re: Draft Day/Pick Trades: Fireworks, Minor Trade or No Trade?
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2018, 04:01:02 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I just don't see why we would trade Rozier.

Because there is a strong possibility that if we don't trade Rozier we'll eventually lose him for nothing to free agency.

Rozier is not going to be content to continue being a backup when he's demonstrated he's at the very least an above average starter.

Now maybe it is worth it to keep him for the next year or two, depending on how his RFA market plays out and whether or not he think the C's will match any offer and this force Rozier to take the QO. Having Rozier as our backup PG would obviously be a huge bonus for a championship run, but is an extreme luxury at this point though, especially if Smart is retained this summer.

I'd argue it's better to try to flip him for a young big man with upside to eventually take over for Horford.
And?

We lose very important depth if we trade him and I guarantee it will bite us at some point next year, likely in the playoffs. You need a 4 guard rotation to compete, trade Rozier and you have a very important spot to fill with no money.

We talk endlessly about windows and going all in etc.. This is a time to go all in and risk one player leaving in a year. Big deal.. And who the heck knows, maybe he'll end up playing his way into staying long term and we move someone else to make room. You lose all those possibilities the moment you trade him... for a rookie scale guy? A future pick? Ain't happening.

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2018, 04:06:36 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
If I'm Rozier's agent going in to a contract year, there is no way I'm advising my client to agree to a reduction in minutes, the way he is currently performing as a starter.

If he is given a super sixth man, starters level of minutes that's one thing...

Starters are all averaging around 31-33 minutes per game....multiplied by 6 players is 186-198 of the minutes pool. If Smart (assuming we re-sign) is then getting 28 that's 220-226 of 240 minutes per game allotted.

Assuming Baynes is also back, we have Morris/Thiess/Baynes dividing up 14-20 minutes between the three? This dooms Larkin to the bench entirely, Semi entirely, Yabu entirely.

Maybe the rest of the starters are interested in playing less, but I don't see it getting much under 29 per starter, to accommodate another player. Horford, I can see, benefitting from a regular season reduction (31 this season) to say 24-28 a night, to keep him fresh for the playoffs. Hayward and Kyrie could also benefit a lower usage to start the season, considering their injuries. But a month or so in to the season, the overall production of the team is obviously going to benefit by these guys being on the floor more, as they are the superior players.

I think the writing is more on the wall then is currently revealed. The better Rozier continues to perform, either he or Irving are getting moved this summer. Or we are letting Smart walk, or sign and trade.

I mean, we could have a lot worse of problems to have, lol!

He doesn't have to agree to anything. He's under contract, and going into free agency after next year. He'll have to take what's given to him, whether he's happy or not
I'm bitter.

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2018, 04:08:44 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Because there is a strong possibility that if we don't trade Rozier we'll eventually lose him for nothing to free agency.

Rozier is not going to be content to continue being a backup when he's demonstrated he's at the very least an above average starter.

Now maybe it is worth it to keep him for the next year or two, depending on how his RFA market plays out and whether or not he think the C's will match any offer and this force Rozier to take the QO. Having Rozier as our backup PG would obviously be a huge bonus for a championship run, but is an extreme luxury at this point though, especially if Smart is retained this summer.

I'd argue it's better to try to flip him for a young big man with upside to eventually take over for Horford.

Nothing is a "luxury" for contention while the Warriors are still together. We need absolutely everything we can get if we want to beat them
I'm bitter.

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2018, 04:13:45 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375

And?

We lose very important depth if we trade him and I guarantee it will bite us at some point next year, likely in the playoffs. You need a 4 guard rotation to compete, trade Rozier and you have a very important spot to fill with no money.

We talk endlessly about windows and going all in etc.. This is a time to go all in and risk one player leaving in a year. Big deal.. And who the heck knows, maybe he'll end up playing his way into staying long term and we move someone else to make room. You lose all those possibilities the moment you trade him... for a rookie scale guy? A future pick? Ain't happening.
Kind of agree with both of you.  The logical ideal scenario would be to include Rozier in a larger trade with other pieces for a bigger star.  E.g. not just trade Rozier for future picks that won't help next year.  As to whether such a deal can be found is where Ainge will need to work his genius.  I would say if he can't find such a deal, I'd also keep Rozier for the run next year ... there is always the possibility of a sign and trade.  So, he won't lose Rozier for nothing.

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2018, 04:14:31 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

And?

You’re assuming we need the depth in case Kyrie, Jaylen or Smart gets hurt. But what if Al gets hurt?
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2018, 11:09:54 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Take out one of Philly's legs and bring Jim O Brien back to the bench as quarterbacks coach.

Ironic, isn't it? Ainge fires O'Brien only to later hire a college coach who emphasizes defense and threes. Lots of threes. Threes everywhere.

Dude was ahead of his time, lol ;D.

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2018, 11:20:56 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Take out one of Philly's legs and bring Jim O Brien back to the bench as quarterbacks coach.

Ironic, isn't it? Ainge fires O'Brien only to later hire a college coach who emphasizes defense and threes. Lots of threes. Threes everywhere.

I thought O'Brian quit because Danny wanted to change the team and build a championship team, which he did.

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2018, 11:22:50 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

I thought O'Brian quit because Danny wanted to change the team and build a championship team, which he did.

I was just making a joke about the similarities between O'Brien and Stevens in terms of style of play, lol.

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2018, 11:26:34 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

I was just making a joke about the similarities between O'Brien and Stevens in terms of style of play, lol.

Yeah, got that. I think Stevens is much more even keeled... I was a big fan of O'Brian.

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2018, 03:57:54 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

And?

You’re assuming we need the depth in case Kyrie, Jaylen or Smart gets hurt. But what if Al gets hurt?

Not following? I'm assuming we play small ball (which we do) and Rozier plays a key part in that.  Assuming that the players who have historically missed time will miss some time. If Al gets hurt this year or next it has the same impact. How does trading Rozier lessen that impact? You think we're gonna get an Al lite in a trade back? I like the optimism but you'll need to get real pretty soon

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2018, 04:50:57 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

I think CBS is a way better coach.

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2018, 06:18:02 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

I think CBS is a way better coach.

CBS is way better. O'Brien was very inflexible. I did enjoy that team with Pierce and Walker and West etc... Very exciting group of over achievers!