Author Topic: Article: Wyc Grousbeck & Ainge "Knew". Results So Far PROVE IT!  (Read 3525 times)

Re: Article: Wyc Grousbeck & Ainge "Knew". Results So Far PROVE IT!
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2018, 02:01:49 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Let's face it, the Main problem with last year, was the big man "toughness"...Zeller/Amir/Kelly were as WEAK as you can get up front.
I disagree.

The main weakness was at the wing/guard position. We went from one of the smallest teams at the wing (only Crowder was even average size unless you consider Jerebko a wing I don't) to a huge one.

Bradley/Smart/Crowder/Rozier/Brown gave way to Brown/Tatum/Morris/Smart/Semi.

And Brown was basically Semi during last years playoffs, more O but way worse D overall. Now he's playing at an all-star caliber when he hasn't been limited by injury.

This seems right. Every player at the 1-3 spots was a positional oddball, and had at least one serious limitation on the defensive end. The idea of doing all the switching we do now with IT and Bradley seems ridiculous.

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2018, 02:43:48 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Let's face it, the Main problem with last year, was the big man "toughness"...Zeller/Amir/Kelly were as WEAK as you can get up front.
I disagree.

The main weakness was at the wing/guard position. We went from one of the smallest teams at the wing (only Crowder was even average size unless you consider Jerebko a wing I don't) to a huge one.

And Brown was basically Semi during last years playoffs, more O but way worse D overall. Now he's playing at an all-star caliber when he hasn't been limited by injury.

This seems right. Every player at the 1-3 spots was a positional oddball, and had at least one serious limitation on the defensive end. The idea of doing all the switching we do now with IT and Bradley seems ridiculous.

Also, Crowder's defense was just awful last year. Idk what happened but he no longer looked like the elite defender he was made out to be.

I mean, Morris is actually locking down James well and scoring too. Crowder did neither last year and Lebron killed him all series.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2018, 02:48:36 PM »

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73
I disagree.

Also, Crowder's defense was just awful last year. Idk what happened but he no longer looked like the elite defender he was made out to be.

I mean, Morris is actually locking down James well and scoring too. Crowder did neither last year and Lebron killed him all series.

Lebron looks tired to me.  He's logged a lot of miles on those legs going to the Finals every year.  This year he had the least amount of support he's had in a long time.  I think its all finally caught up to him.  After the first quarter he just settled for mid range and perimeter shots all game, and played no defense.  He looks spent. 

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2018, 04:18:19 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
I disagree.

Lebron looks tired to me.  He's logged a lot of miles on those legs going to the Finals every year.  This year he had the least amount of support he's had in a long time.  I think its all finally caught up to him.  After the first quarter he just settled for mid range and perimeter shots all game, and played no defense.  He looks spent.

That's true.

The difference is also, the C's are making him work hard even for those jumpers and perimeter shots. Last year, it was like Crowder and Olynyk (on switches) just gave James 10 feet of space to shoot open looks. Of course, he cooked us as a result in four of the five games (except Game 3).

I do agree that against the Cavaliers, even if we start slow, the key is staying in the game. That whole team seems to fold and tire out by the middle of the 3rd quarter. As absurd as that sounds, it's looked that way in Games 1 and 2.

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2018, 07:54:46 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
it was pretty obvious after Ainge blew up the team and people were surprised.

its also the difference between a franchise like the Raptors and the Celtics. This ownership isn't content with just making the ECF and having a good season....they want to WIN the finals and bring back banner 18 and maybe more.

I dont think the Raptors have the guts to trade Derozan/Lowry and try and restructure their team...

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2018, 10:37:18 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Let’s be honest  a lot of people said the same thing and even asked for IT to be traded and were crucified on the blog.  You gotta be able to recognize your value of what you have.

I was one of those.

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2018, 10:42:05 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Wyc does not get enough credit, he is the best owner is all of sports.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2018, 10:46:37 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Let’s be honest  a lot of people said the same thing and even asked for IT to be traded and were crucified on the blog.  You gotta be able to recognize your value of what you have.

I was one of those.

I wasn't  :P

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2018, 11:02:52 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
It's good to know that Wyc was as sick and tired of watching Olynk and Zeller as many of us were.

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2018, 09:32:49 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
It's good to know that Wyc was as sick and tired of watching Olynk and Zeller as many of us were.

It was embarrassing when Robin Lopez and Marcin Gortat looked like Prime Shaq against us during the playoffs. Also, Olynyk's inconsistency was just maddening. His pump fakes on WIDE OPEN shots too (UGH)

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2018, 09:38:41 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

It was embarrassing when Robin Lopez and Marcin Gortat looked like Prime Shaq against us during the playoffs. Also, Olynyk's inconsistency was just maddening. His pump fakes on WIDE OPEN shots too (UGH)
Oh man, nightmare fuel. Glad he's a South Beach problem now
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2018, 09:40:10 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Yeah. Can you imagine last year's front court dealing with Giannis, Embiid and Tristan Thompson during this playoff run? YIKES.  :o

So glad we have Baynes, Morris and Monroe.

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2018, 09:44:35 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Yeah. Can you imagine last year's front court dealing with Giannis, Embiid and Tristan Thompson during this playoff run? YIKES.  :o

Zeller on Embiid! Lock him up Ty!!!

Love that we have Baynes, Monroe, Mook and Theis (wish he was healthy) now

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2018, 09:47:48 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Yeah I didn't include Theis because unfortunately he's injured now.

But he should be another key piece in our (hopefully healthy) championship run next year!

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2018, 09:50:16 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Yeah I didn't include Theis because unfortunately he's injured now.

But he should be another key piece in our (hopefully healthy) championship run next year!
Yeah, we'll need him for our back to back ;) and then for our double three-peat