Author Topic: Article: Wyc Grousbeck & Ainge "Knew". Results So Far PROVE IT!  (Read 3527 times)

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
https://nesn.com/2018/05/wyc-grousbeck-was-brutally-honest-about-why-celtics-needed-to-make-changes/

Last season’s Boston Celtics were, at times, both inspirational and thrilling to watch.

But that team wasn’t good enough to reach the top, and the front office knew it.

The current version of the Celtics, which will play the Cleveland Cavaliers on Tuesday in Game 2 of the Eastern Conference finals, features just four players from last year’s team: Al Horford, Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart and Terry Rozier. And during an appearance Tuesday on 98.5 The Sports Hub’s “Felger & Mazz,” Celtics co-owner Wyc Grousbeck revealed there was a perfectly good reason for why Boston overhauled its roster in the offseason.

Dan Lifshatz
@DanLifshatz

Celtics Co-Owner Wyc Grousbeck: "We made major changes because we weren't winning anything with last year's team."

Pretty [dang]ing indictment. Jesus Wyc

12:43 PM - 15 May 2018

Talk about it putting it bluntly.

Still, Grousbeck probably is right. As fun as it was to watch Isaiah Thomas, Avery Bradley, Jae Crowder and Co. fight their way to the conference finals, the fact is that team had reached its ceiling and needed a shakeup.

But the Celtics as currently constituted? Well, the sky really is the limit.

Adam Kaufman
‏Verified account
 @AdamMKaufman

#Celtics owner Grousbeck (98.5): "We were in the final four last yr, but got bounced. Hard. We changed 11 of 15 guys. That team wasn't getting us there. ... We weren't anywhere near championship caliber. We got stomped by the Cavs and they pretty much got rolled by the Warriors."

1:34 PM - 15 May 2018

Wow, that's some brutal honesty by Wyc lol, but the results are showing as we lead CLE 2-0!

No disrespect to Isaiah, Bradley and company, as I loved what they did for us in their time here and appreciate/miss them.

But wow, this team is WAY different than last year’s and actually matches up so well against the elite teams (Cavaliers included)

Got length, size, versatility, multiple scoring threats and guys who are willing to play defense too!

Also, we have a fearless front court this year as opposed to last year when we trotted out Olynyk, Amir, Zeller and Mickey (YIKES). You think those guys would have handled Embiid, Giannis and Thompson like Baynes, Monroe and Morris have? HA. Nope!  :P

Horford also looks so much more comfortable with Baynes now here and that allows Horford to do more of his own thing (and so far, he's dominating these playoffs!)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Article: Wyc Grousbeck & Ainge "Knew". Results So Far PROVE IT!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 09:39:13 AM »

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73
yes. Wasn't that clear when they were broken up?  This isn't the first time Danny's done this.  He broke 2002 ECF team because he was clear that they overachieved and couldn't win a title, so he got rid of EVERYBODY except Paul Pierce.

Last year's team clearly overachieved.  I said this last year over and over again, IT can never be the centerpiece on a championship team.  He's a second option at best, and his ego will keep him from filling that role properly.

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 09:42:36 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
yes. Wasn't that clear when they were broken up?  This isn't the first time Danny's done this.  He broke 2002 ECF team because he was clear that they overachieved and couldn't win a title, so he got rid of EVERYBODY except Paul Pierce.

Last year's team clearly overachieved.  I said this last year over and over again, IT can never be the centerpiece on a championship team.  He's a second option at best, and his ego will keep him from filling that role properly.

It was funny, because going into last summer, we thought some guys would walk in FA and maybe we'd trade Bradley or Crowder to sign Hayward (pretty much givens), but nothing much else. What we didn't realize was, 11 of 15 guys left via trade or FA LOL.

Like, we considered most our guys untouchable and NEVER expected Isaiah to be traded like that, and he was.

And that Fultz saga and the #1 pick. LOL we had a Fultz week on this blog and it was almost a given we were drafting him. Nope, now we have Tatum, which looks like another GENIUS move by Danny!  8)

I wish I would say Tatum and Brown are untouchable now, but who knows with Danny  :P

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 09:50:21 AM »

Offline CelticsQuestFor18

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
TP. Great read!

I think this summer will be relatively quiet besides obviously negotiating with Smart, Baynes, maybe Monroe, and of course seeing what teams will offer for Rozier. If Ainge doesn't like any of the offers, he'd be fine keeping Rozier as a great 6th man off the bench behind Kyrie in our championship run next year.

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 09:52:53 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
TP. Great read!

I think this summer will be relatively quiet besides obviously negotiating with Smart, Baynes, maybe Monroe, and of course seeing what teams will offer for Rozier. If Ainge doesn't like any of the offers, he'd be fine keeping Rozier as a great 6th man off the bench behind Kyrie in our championship run next year.

Yep. I really hope they keep Baynes at MLE and find a reasonable rate to keep Smart.

I'd hope we can keep Smart around 4/44M. Might also allow us to stay just below the luxury tax threshold for another year (before we enter it for sure starting in the 2019-2020 season).

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 09:58:58 AM »

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73

It was funny, because going into last summer, we thought some guys would walk in FA and maybe we'd trade Bradley or Crowder to sign Hayward (pretty much givens), but nothing much else. What we didn't realize was, 11 of 15 guys left via trade or FA LOL.

Like, we considered most our guys untouchable and NEVER expected Isaiah to be traded like that, and he was.

And that Fultz saga and the #1 pick. LOL we had a Fultz week on this blog and it was almost a given we were drafting him. Nope, now we have Tatum, which looks like another GENIUS move by Danny!  8)

I wish I would say Tatum and Brown are untouchable now, but who knows with Danny  :P

I was on the Fultz bandwagon, and never saw the Tatum thing coming. But I never liked Isaiah in the role that he was in, and was one of those people who refused to sign him to a max contract.  Hated his game, and still do. 

That said, that why Danny is Danny, and has the job that he does, and I post on message boards. 

Here's the difference with Tatum and Brown.  Danny needed to upgrade last years team.  He needed to upgrade Isaiah to Kyrie when the opportunity arose, and he needed to add a prime asset (according to report Nets pick or Jayson Tatum) to make that happen. 

He's now built a contender ahead of schedule (this would be the Brad effect).  He no longer needs to add to the team to be a contender, he already has one.  And that now puts him in the drivers seat.  He has a contender with Tatum and Brown that works with the cap and might for years to come.  So he doesn't need to move one to become a contender. 

And that makes for a dangerous man. 

He can name his price, sit tight, and if they pass, he's still fine. I'd imagine, short of getting AD to pair with Hayward and Kyrie, he probably won't offer Tatum or Brown, cause he doesn't have to. 

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 10:45:42 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
TP. Great read!

Yep. I really hope they keep Baynes at MLE and find a reasonable rate to keep Smart.

I'd hope we can keep Smart around 4/44M. Might also allow us to stay just below the luxury tax threshold for another year (before we enter it for sure starting in the 2019-2020 season).

Wouldn’t we be able to offer Baynes a 20% raise, and preserve the MLE if we really wanted to?  I guess the same scenario with Monroe.  Maybe if we happen to lose Smart we’ll have to do that, and look at someone like Evans.

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 11:07:16 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
TP. Great read!

Wouldn’t we be able to offer Baynes a 20% raise, and preserve the MLE if we really wanted to?  I guess the same scenario with Monroe.  Maybe if we happen to lose Smart we’ll have to do that, and look at someone like Evans.

How exactly does that work? So we can offer Baynes something like 6M for next season and it wouldn't count against cap/luxury tax threshold?

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 11:44:02 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
How exactly does that work? So we can offer Baynes something like 6M for next season and it wouldn't count against cap/luxury tax threshold?
It works exactly like any other salary cap exception, in this case its the Non-Bird Exception.

We can exceed the cap to offer Baines a 20% raise on his current salary, that means without using the MLE we can sign him to a contract starting at 5.19 million dollars. It counts against the luxury tax and everything else. The C's will have zero cap room this summer so they will only have the ability to sign players via exceptions like this one.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q25

Using the non-taxpayer MLE we can sign him to a contract around 8.4 million, but then we are hard capped at the luxury tax and cannot exceed it for any reason. The tax-payer MLE which will not hard cap us is around $5.2 million same as his non-bird exception number.

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 12:22:41 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Let's face it, the Main problem with last year, was the big man "toughness"...Zeller/Amir/Kelly were as WEAK as you can get up front.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2018, 12:44:40 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
It works exactly like any other salary cap exception, in this case its the Non-Bird Exception.

We can exceed the cap to offer Baines a 20% raise on his current salary, that means without using the MLE we can sign him to a contract starting at 5.19 million dollars. It counts against the luxury tax and everything else. The C's will have zero cap room this summer so they will only have the ability to sign players via exceptions like this one.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q25

Using the non-taxpayer MLE we can sign him to a contract around 8.4 million, but then we are hard capped at the luxury tax and cannot exceed it for any reason. The tax-payer MLE which will not hard cap us is around $5.2 million same as his non-bird exception number.

Oh okay. TP! Thanks for that.

Hate to say it but we may have to offer MLE. His stock has risen a ton in playoffs I think.

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2018, 12:51:31 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Let’s be honest  a lot of people said the same thing and even asked for IT to be traded and were crucified on the blog.  You gotta be able to recognize your value of what you have.

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2018, 12:53:32 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Let's face it, the Main problem with last year, was the big man "toughness"...Zeller/Amir/Kelly were as WEAK as you can get up front.
I disagree.

The main weakness was at the wing/guard position. We went from one of the smallest teams at the wing (only Crowder was even average size unless you consider Jerebko a wing I don't) to a huge one.

Bradley/Smart/Crowder/Rozier/Brown gave way to Brown/Tatum/Morris/Smart/Semi.

And Brown was basically Semi during last years playoffs, more O but way worse D overall. Now he's playing at an all-star caliber when he hasn't been limited by injury.

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2018, 12:56:06 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Hate to say it but we may have to offer MLE. His stock has risen a ton in playoffs I think.
Maybe. Tighter cap environment this year and look at what the signings were last year:

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2017/6/30/15897582/2017-nba-free-agency-signings-tracker
CENTERS
1. Nerlens Noel (R):
2. Pau Gasol:
3. Kelly Olynyk: Signs with Heat for four-years, $50 million plus
4. Mason Plumlee (R):
5. Nene: three years, $11 million with the Rockets
6. Dewayne Dedmon: 2 years, $14 million with Hawks
7. Marreese Speights:
8. Alex Len (R):

Other center signings
Cristiano Feliciano: Returning to Bulls with four-year, $32 million contract
Spencer Hawes: Opted in to stay with Bucks
Greg Monroe: Opted in to stay with Bucks
Mike Muscala: 2 years, $10 million to stay with Hawks
Zaza Pachulia: 1 year, $3.5 million with Warriors
Alan Williams: 3 years, $17 million to stay with Suns
Joffrey Lauvergne: Signs with Spurs, terms TBD
Aron Baynes: 1 year, $4.3 million with Celtics

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2018, 01:43:07 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
I disagree.

The main weakness was at the wing/guard position. We went from one of the smallest teams at the wing (only Crowder was even average size unless you consider Jerebko a wing I don't) to a huge one.

Bradley/Smart/Crowder/Rozier/Brown gave way to Brown/Tatum/Morris/Smart/Semi.

And Brown was basically Semi during last years playoffs, more O but way worse D overall. Now he's playing at an all-star caliber when he hasn't been limited by injury.

TP. That's all true as well.