Author Topic: Let's Talk Game 3  (Read 3218 times)

Re: Let's Talk Game 3
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2018, 10:57:08 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
Lue's comments about the Celtics 'gooning it up' were very wise on his part.  This will keep the C's aggressive D top of mind for Game 3, so I'm expecting a Scott Foster appearance or at the very least the Celtics getting zero breaks from the officials.

I did not understand this quote. His team has been the goons...look at JR Smith and Thompson. Is playing tough, physical ball gooning it up now?

Tells me his team is soft in every shape.
Playoff Coaching 101 - publicly complain about the officials when the opponent's defense is messing up your team's offense.  Pat Riley used to do it all the time.  I'd like to see Brad do more of this.

Coach talks about it - media picks up on it - the league notices - and it becomes part of the story - especially going home.   The tactic is usually very effective.

brad needs to say THUG SMITH needs to be thrown out of game 3. beat that drum the next 3 days. also complain about the cavs thugging it up. return the favor. we can play these games also
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2018, 11:11:39 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Wow.  The oddsmakers are making the Cavs a 6.5 point favorite!!!

http://www.vegasinsider.com/nba/odds/las-vegas/

Are the Celtics related to Rodney Dangerfield?:-))))

Smitty77

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2018, 11:24:33 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC

Smitty77

Good. Let the disrespect keep coming.

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2018, 11:39:23 AM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119

Smitty77

Looks like a good time to start gambling.

In seriousness, I thought Lue took his shot in Game 2 by inserting Tristan Thompson. On a Simmons/Lowe podcast, Lowe said he would wait until Game 3 to make that change and run the same lineup back, hoping to not shoot such a terribly percentage from 3. Then, in Game 3, if that didn't work you can start Thompson - when he'll be playing at home and might be extra motivated to make a difference.

They took that shot and we bested it. I think, though, it will still be key to fight TT and Love on the defensive glass. Limit those and that would give us a big advantage.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2018, 11:53:20 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
It would definitely be nice to just put the hammer down in game 3.

The Cavs gave up pretty early in game 2, after the flagrant and Al's 6-0 run they checked out with in my opinion with three and a half minutes left in the game down 12.

I can see them doing the same much earlier if they're down.

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2018, 11:57:53 AM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
1. Keep playing defense like a dog
2. Play in transition as much as possible; don't settle for half court basketball
3. ?????
4. WIN

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2018, 12:00:21 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I think Brad will think going back to the Baynes starting unit, but we'll see. Morris or Tatum to the bench.

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2018, 12:06:35 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
It is amazing how little Cleveland is managing to get out of George Hill, Jr Smith, Rodney Hood and especially Jordan Clarkson. Those 4 should be combining for 40-50 points a night (only 22pg combined for first 2 games).

Cleveland's offense is just so bad though. So individualistic. Iso based. Too LeBron-centric. Too many isos for Kevin Love. Not enough ball or player movement. Other guys are not involved. I fully believe if those 4 players above where playing for Boston under Stevens and alongside Al Horford, they'd be doing so much more than they are under Ty Lue and next to LeBron James.

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2018, 02:35:31 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550

Smitty77

Good. Let the disrespect keep coming.

LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2018, 02:57:38 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I think Brad will think going back to the Baynes starting unit, but we'll see. Morris or Tatum to the bench.

The problem is that Tatum has started every game of his career and Brad won’t want to mess with his psyche now. Morris is doing what he was brought here to do.

So with that said, I expect the same starting lineup even if it means a quick sub of Baynes in.

The Cavs other starting four produced just 6 points in that first quarter. I do not expect that many more 21-point quarters from LeBron. Stay at home on everyone else and limit their offensive rebounds.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2018, 03:04:10 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

The problem is that Tatum has started every game of his career and Brad won’t want to mess with his psyche now. Morris is doing what he was brought here to do.

So with that said, I expect the same starting lineup even if it means a quick sub of Baynes in.

The Cavs other starting four produced just 6 points in that first quarter. I do not expect that many more 21-point quarters from LeBron. Stay at home on everyone else and limit their offensive rebounds.

Valid point, just the same, Stevens himself brought up that the big Cavs unit gave them trouble so he had to make a quick sub for Baynes. Which is the idea you present. So the question then becomes, if he already knows it's an issue... do you wait for it to become a problem again or you address it from the get go?

Brown was guarding LeBron through much of the first quarter as it was. And he did so well (though LeBron was Supernova), but I wouldn't want to risk Brown getting on foul trouble early.

So it's presenting us with some issues. We're bringing Morris for LeBron yet don't use him on him because of the opposing unit change... so why start him at all? But if you go big, you can indeed put him on LeBron, but that means having to make a decision between him and Tatum.

We'll see I guess.

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2018, 03:10:14 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Whoever gets Thompson on him can go to the rim at will. TT cannot guard the driver. He has been worked over by Morris, Brown and Tatum

I do think Korver starts for JR...which would make JR meaningless off the bench.

But with Korver and TT in the line up together...the Cavs have real trouble defending Boston. LBJ does not want to defend Brown or Tatum. Hill cannot stop Rozier and Love struggled last night with the wings quickness and the bigs strength.

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2018, 03:50:56 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Agree that Smith should be suspended game 3. I also expect Korver to get the start over him anyway.

Cavs are giving up trying to defend Boston. They will look to just outscore them.

Some of the worst defense has been Lebron. He is so spent on offense, his cover of Brown has been awful.

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2018, 04:09:48 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52

Smitty77

It's not really all that strange, the Celts haven't played all that well on the road this playoffs. It would not be a shock if their role players like Rozier, Morris, and Smart were less effective than they have been at home. It also would not be a surprise if the Cavs role players played better. I think the Celts are the better team and should win the series, but I don't expect a sweep.

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2018, 04:53:15 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 590
I would be shocked if Scott Foster and Tony Brothers don't make an appearance in either game 3 or 4.

I'm expecting a screwing. Hopefully they get hot enough from 3 to give them a chance to play through it.

I hate to be that guy, but it's not going to be easy to watch.
Still don't believe in Joe.