Author Topic: Danny has built a contender  (Read 4109 times)

Danny has built a contender
« on: May 16, 2018, 07:50:09 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
He's done it guys. no matter what happens this year, its pretty clear to me that this core has championship potential. last nights game had shades of a passing of the torch sort of moment. Lebron scored 40pts but the celtics young guys were just too much for the cavs....and thats without Irving/Hayward

right now we are up 2-0 over the cavs in the ECF without our two big acquisitions in Irving/Hayward and missing key pieces to the regular season like Theis/Larkin. You add those two next year plus added development of Tatum/Brown and this team will be a juggernaut in the east. You look at the guys stepping up: Brown, Tatum, smart, Rozier.....all Danny draft picks.

Now, danny will have some work to do this summer. we NEED to lock up Marcus smart. he is the heart and soul of this team. and last night proves it. also, I think we need to try and keep Baynes and Morris. Both guys bring a chip on their shoulder that is infectious.

but, you cant make me think otherwise, that as long as Danny can bring back this same squad we can come right at the warriors next year.

Re: Danny has built a contender
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 07:55:10 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Agreed except I don't see much work to do this summer.  Likely lose Monroe and Nader gets squeezed out by the 1st round pick.

KEEP THE BAND TOGETHER, ADD TWO ALL-STARS. 

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 08:10:40 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Remember when people were saying fire Danny, Brown is a bust, and Smart and Rozier were just poor backup guards.

Good times.

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 08:13:19 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I think Danny deals the pick.  No need with the potential of four next year:

Celtics 2019 first round pick plus

2019 first round draft pick from L.A. Clippers
L.A. Clippers' 1st round pick to Boston (via Memphis) protected for selections 1-14 in 2019 and 1-14 in 2020; if the L.A. Clippers have not conveyed a 1st round pick to Boston by 2020, then the L.A. Clippers will instead convey their 2022 2nd round pick to Boston [L.A. Clippers-Memphis, 2/18/2016; Boston-Memphis, 6/23/2016]

2019 first round draft pick from Memphis
Memphis' 1st round pick to Boston protected for selections 1-8 in 2019 and 1-6 in 2020 and unprotected in 2021 [Boston-Memphis-New Orleans, 1/12/2015]

2019 first round draft pick from Philadelphia or Sacramento
Boston will receive the more favorable of Philadelphia's 2019 1st round pick protected for selection 1 and Sacramento's 2019 1st round pick (via Philadelphia) protected for selection 1 and Philadelphia will receive the less favorable or the protected of these two picks [L.A. Lakers-Phoenix, 7/11/2012; Milwaukee-Philadelphia-Phoenix, 2/19/2015; Philadelphia-Sacramento, 7/9/2015; Boston-Philadelphia, 6/19/2017]

"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 08:20:52 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Some of the best moves he made was trading IT4, Crowder(best contract in basketball) and AB

There was a ton of resistance from fans of trading these guys.

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 08:24:45 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I think Danny deals the pick.  No need with the potential of four next year:

Celtics 2019 first round pick plus

2019 first round draft pick from L.A. Clippers
L.A. Clippers' 1st round pick to Boston (via Memphis) protected for selections 1-14 in 2019 and 1-14 in 2020; if the L.A. Clippers have not conveyed a 1st round pick to Boston by 2020, then the L.A. Clippers will instead convey their 2022 2nd round pick to Boston [L.A. Clippers-Memphis, 2/18/2016; Boston-Memphis, 6/23/2016]

2019 first round draft pick from Memphis
Memphis' 1st round pick to Boston protected for selections 1-8 in 2019 and 1-6 in 2020 and unprotected in 2021 [Boston-Memphis-New Orleans, 1/12/2015]

2019 first round draft pick from Philadelphia or Sacramento
Boston will receive the more favorable of Philadelphia's 2019 1st round pick protected for selection 1 and Sacramento's 2019 1st round pick (via Philadelphia) protected for selection 1 and Philadelphia will receive the less favorable or the protected of these two picks [L.A. Lakers-Phoenix, 7/11/2012; Milwaukee-Philadelphia-Phoenix, 2/19/2015; Philadelphia-Sacramento, 7/9/2015; Boston-Philadelphia, 6/19/2017]
deal the pick for what though?  a pick in the late 20's isn't going to get much.  maybe for a pick in a later draft but who'd give up a future first that would likely be a higher pick than what the C's are giving up the year.  On the flip side, whoever they would draft this year is very likely Nader's replacement on the roster.  I don't think anyone would object to that trade-off.

As for the ones that could convey next year, they know they have their own and the Sac pick. 

Memphis should have Conley back as well as Gasol.  They have enough decent pieces to stay out of the bottom 8 so I don't see that conveying.  since that eventually becomes unprotected, that's a keeper.

The Clips pick may or may not convey.  they'd have to make the playoffs which is a possibility out West for the next 2 years and then it becomes a second rounder.  of any of the picks the C's own, I would think this is the preferred one to move.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 01:08:55 PM by slamtheking »

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 08:24:54 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Danny has built a championship team and with all its pieces can match GS Warriors

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 08:32:48 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Danny type players do exist . Tough, Versatile, Fearless, Motor

Nets picks were lucky but the picks he made were skills

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 08:35:21 AM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
This may need its own thread but I will put it in here. I really hope Marcus Smart gets a championship. There is little doubt the Celtics are set to contend for the next few (or more) seasons. There are so many players to love on the roster right now but I feel (in a big way) it will be a great shame if the Celtics win a title and Marcus is not a part of it.

Maybe this is the season, perhaps the Celtics have to wait a season or more. Who really knows? I would just hate that the team could achieve the goal DA and CBS have worked for and Smart not be part of it. This is where you tell me that the Celtics will never part with Smart and he will win multiple titles.

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 08:40:14 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I'm beginning to get concerned that Irving's ball dominance and iso heavy offensive style coupled with his bad defense will actually make Boston worse. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2018, 08:45:13 AM »

Offline aefgogreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 55
I'm beginning to get concerned that Irving's ball dominance and iso heavy offensive style coupled with his bad defense will actually make Boston worse.

Tommy point on a gutsy post.  I'm a cynical fan as well and part of me has concerns about chemistry. But I think Stevens is the best guy to find a way to make it work.

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2018, 08:46:48 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Some of the best moves he made was trading IT4, Crowder(best contract in basketball) and AB

There was a ton of resistance from fans of trading these guys.

No, the best moves were trading for Irving and signing Hayward. Trading those guys was just a necessary part of that

Does anyone really think that this team would be worse with AB replacing Semi, Crowder replacing Nader, and IT replacing Larkin?
I'm bitter.

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2018, 08:48:43 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Tommy point on a gutsy post.  I'm a cynical fan as well and part of me has concerns about chemistry. But I think Stevens is the best guy to find a way to make it work.
Don't get me wrong, there are stretches where Boston can't score and Irving is a master at that, but I think Hayward would also help that a great deal and unlike Irving, Hayward has a more team friendly offensive style and isn't a liability on the defensive end.  I just wonder if those Irving for Leonard trade rumors have some actual fire to them and aren't just nonsense to fill the time.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2018, 08:49:00 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Sounds a lot like Rozier, but Kyrie is better
I'm bitter.

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2018, 08:50:08 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

This exchange reflects my internal dialog pretty much exactly. Unless trader Danny strikes, Brad has a challenge next year convincing some guys to take fewer shots/get fewer touches.