Author Topic: Sacramento Kings 2018-19 Season Watch Thread  (Read 123627 times)

Re: Sacramento Kings 2018-19 Season Watch Thread
« Reply #195 on: July 20, 2018, 05:30:59 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Yogi Ferrell and the Sacramento Kings have come to terms on a deal, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

I think this bodes well for our pick.
Seeing how the west shook out this off season, I'm more worried the Kings will win the lottery than be unexpectedly good.

Yeah that’s my worry too.  Maybe the 76rs will totally implode with injuries ect this season dropping them deep in the lottery to double our chances.  Lol

Embiid is a terrific player, but his health is never something that can be taken for granted.  They really only need one specific injury to implode enough to sniff the lottery.

« Reply #196 on: July 20, 2018, 05:37:12 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Yogi Ferrell and the Sacramento Kings have come to terms on a deal, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

Seeing how the west shook out this off season, I'm more worried the Kings will win the lottery than be unexpectedly good.

Yeah that’s my worry too.  Maybe the 76rs will totally implode with injuries ect this season dropping them deep in the lottery to double our chances.  Lol

Embiid is a terrific player, but his health is never something that can be taken for granted.  They really only need one specific injury to implode enough to sniff the lottery.
I have hard time seeing them out of the playoffs provided one of Embiid or Simmons are healthy.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #197 on: July 20, 2018, 05:43:06 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

I have hard time seeing them out of the playoffs provided one of Embiid or Simmons are healthy.

I don’t think they have the personnel to compliment Simmons enough without Embiid for a majority of the season.  I do think they can survive without only Simmons.

« Reply #198 on: July 20, 2018, 05:47:17 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Moranis, I rly appreciate your points, but I disagree with your assessment of Mavs and Sacramento.

Mavs have better players, coach and in general team culture.
I honestly don't think they have better players or at least not a well constructed roster.  I'm also not sure that the team that has been outwardly tanking for 2 seasons and has had pretty extensive bad press for sexual misconduct within its front office can claim to have a better team culture than anyone (though that seems to have missed the players).  And while Carlisle is an excellent coach, Joerger has had more playoff success in the last 5 seasons than Carlisle (Mavs haven't won a playoff series since winning the title in 2011), and Joerger has also won more games his 2 seasons with the Kings than Carlisle has won with the Mavs in those same 2 seasons, so I don't think that gap is quite as large as it might otherwise seem.  Frankly, I think the Mavs are due for a change as I don't think Carlisle is the right man to guide them through this rebuild.
Why do you consistently overrate teams who owe the Celtics draft picks?  You did the same thing with the Nets.  You thought they were a borderline playoff team.  Dallas will have at least 75% more wins than Sacramento next season.  I don't know how you could convince yourself otherwise.  The Kings have some intriguing young talent but they don't have a roster that is going to win many games.  It's so blatantly obvious to just about everyone except you.  I agree with what greece666 said.  The Mavs also have the young intriguing talent in Doncic and Smith Jr.  And they also have some guys that can actually help them win games such as Barnes, Jordan, Mathews, and Dirk.  And I totally disagree with your Carlisle assessment.  He's a top 5 coach whose team hasn't tuned him out at all.  His teams overachieve when they aren't tanking.

« Reply #199 on: July 20, 2018, 05:50:57 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Yogi Ferrell backs out of Mavs deal because he felt uncomfortable.  That seems odd for such a "model" franchise

Can you imagine if this happened on a good team, like the 76ers? Oh wait...

« Reply #200 on: July 20, 2018, 05:53:26 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Moranis, I rly appreciate your points, but I disagree with your assessment of Mavs and Sacramento.

I honestly don't think they have better players or at least not a well constructed roster.  I'm also not sure that the team that has been outwardly tanking for 2 seasons and has had pretty extensive bad press for sexual misconduct within its front office can claim to have a better team culture than anyone (though that seems to have missed the players).  And while Carlisle is an excellent coach, Joerger has had more playoff success in the last 5 seasons than Carlisle (Mavs haven't won a playoff series since winning the title in 2011), and Joerger has also won more games his 2 seasons with the Kings than Carlisle has won with the Mavs in those same 2 seasons, so I don't think that gap is quite as large as it might otherwise seem.  Frankly, I think the Mavs are due for a change as I don't think Carlisle is the right man to guide them through this rebuild.
Why do you consistently overrate teams who owe the Celtics draft picks?  You did the same thing with the Nets.  You thought they were a borderline playoff team.  Dallas will have at least 75% more wins than Sacramento next season.  I don't know how you could convince yourself otherwise.  The Kings have some intriguing young talent but they don't have a roster that is going to win many games.  It's so blatantly obvious to just about everyone except you.  I agree with what greece666 said.  The Mavs also have the young intriguing talent in Doncic and Smith Jr.  And they also have some guys that can actually help them win games such as Barnes, Jordan, Mathews, and Dirk.  And I totally disagree with your Carlisle assessment.  He's a top 5 coach whose team hasn't tuned him out at all.  His teams overachieve when they aren't tanking.

Its just life as a contrarian

« Reply #201 on: July 20, 2018, 07:44:13 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Yogi Ferrell backs out of Mavs deal because he felt uncomfortable.  That seems odd for such a "model" franchise

A. Source?
B. Are Kings going to offer him a contract? Why is this here?

https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2018/7/19/17591336/nba-free-agency-2018-dallas-mavericks-re-sign-yogi-ferrell-per-reports

That's twice now that someone has done that to them. Wonder what it is about the Mavs that makes players back off verbal agreements.

Mike

« Reply #202 on: July 20, 2018, 07:48:13 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

A. Source?

https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2018/7/19/17591336/nba-free-agency-2018-dallas-mavericks-re-sign-yogi-ferrell-per-reports

That's twice now that someone has done that to them. Wonder what it is about the Mavs that makes players back off verbal agreements.

Mike
it means the GM is bad at free agency. Poor management

« Reply #203 on: July 20, 2018, 09:08:56 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

A. Source?

Mike

I am also wondering if this could hurt ferrel. He is not a good enough player to get a reputation as someone that backs out of deals.

« Reply #204 on: July 20, 2018, 09:22:12 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

A. Source?

Mike

I am also wondering if this could hurt ferrel. He is not a good enough player to get a reputation as someone that backs out of deals.

He’s been a minimum salary player so far in his career, and only had one year guaranteed from the Mavs. This deal is supposedly fully guaranteed, and so is worth the risk of a bad reputation.  His play can fix that in a hurry.

What’s more interesting is the Kings have reached deals with two players this summer who backed out with other teams.

« Reply #205 on: July 20, 2018, 09:56:49 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

I don’t think they have the personnel to compliment Simmons enough without Embiid for a majority of the season.  I do think they can survive without only Simmons.
How many teams besides GSW and us can survive losing their best player for a majority of the season?  If Houston loses Harden, they are toast.  OKC is probably toast without Westbrook but that would be an interesting experiment.   

« Reply #206 on: July 20, 2018, 10:02:44 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

A. Source?

Mike

He’s been a minimum salary player so far in his career, and only had one year guaranteed from the Mavs. This deal is supposedly fully guaranteed, and so is worth the risk of a bad reputation.  His play can fix that in a hurry.

What’s more interesting is the Kings have reached deals with two players this summer who backed out with other teams.
Bjelica backed out from the Sixers but has he actually reached a deal with the Kings?  All the stories I've seen indicate they are in discussions.  If they do reach an agreement, it will be interesting to see what he ends up with. 

« Reply #207 on: July 20, 2018, 10:14:49 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

@ShamsCharania

Forward Nemanja Bjelica has agreed to a three-year, $20.5M deal with the Sacramento Kings, league sources tell Yahoo. Third year will be non-guaranteed.

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1020489205716140032

« Reply #208 on: July 20, 2018, 10:29:32 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

@ShamsCharania

Forward Nemanja Bjelica has agreed to a three-year, $20.5M deal with the Sacramento Kings, league sources tell Yahoo. Third year will be non-guaranteed.

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1020489205716140032
TP.  I looked at Woj before I posted but not Shams.  I guess the Bucks and Ilyasove set the market for older mediocre stretch 4 role players.   Deal isn't good but it is not horrible.  However, I wonder what they are going to do with all their big men.  Zbo, Koufos, WCS, Giles, Bagley, Skal and Bjelica.  Vlade talked about playing Bagley at the 3.  I wonder if they are actually going to do it. 

« Reply #209 on: July 20, 2018, 10:49:45 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

what are you talking about? I never said the Nets would be a borderline playoff team.  I said they wouldn't be a bottom 5 team and they weren't.  I actually pegged the Lakers as a bottom 5 team last year (both before and after the trade) and got that one wrong.

I just don't think last year was a fluke for either the Kings or Mavs.  I think Bagley will have a much greater impact this season than Doncic will.  I obviously might be wrong or I might not, but I've generally done a pretty good job or projecting finish locations of teams around the league.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip