Author Topic: Celtics vs Lakers finals 2019  (Read 3175 times)

Celtics vs Lakers finals 2019
« on: May 14, 2018, 09:14:24 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Here goes my bold prediction of the decade - The Celtics and The Lakers will meet in the 2019 finals.

It has been a long time by the NBA standards, will be 9 years next summer, since we clashed with the Lakers in the finals last time. The USA's most fabled sports rivalry. A better sports franchise than even Rocky is. IMHO :)
So, for that to happen we need 2 things :
1) Celtics in the finals
2) Lakers in the finals

1) We might (and I believe we will) play in the big Finals this year and after this year Gordon and Kyrie will join back in and with LBJ probably leaving, there seems to be no real threat for us to repeat it the next year. That one seemed pretty given and simple, let's switch to...

2) Lakers have missed the playoffs since the 2012/13 season. they have tanked with Kobe, without Kobe, for some time now and as we all know, Lakers can't stay bad for too long. The Los Angeles market, teams renommé, clubs legends, even the NBA itself, all of that doesn't allow them to be bad for too long.
Their payroll - https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/LAL.html

So, after looong thinking, dismissing my source that says he ends up in Philly, while caressing my neglective, smallish beard, I have come to the conclusion that LeBron will go to the L.A.
The main arguments are:
- Big city, endless business possibilities for him and his family
- Going to a team with a load of assets and cap space
- Cleveland is weak
- Free agency with available elite wings, native Californians

IMO, The best team that LBJ can form this summer in L.A. is the trio of
Lebron - Kawhi - PG13
Paul and LBJ sign as free agents, Kawhi is available after they include Ingram and pick for him.
Boston stays put. Philly loses the bidding war.
You can circle the team around those 3. Maybe KCP stays, center spot is the easiest to fill. Ring-chasers will feverishly call. Also, Kuzma, Ball, and Randle or some other young asset might be available for a trade to get the job done.

To rekindle the rivalry again, to beat L.A., to see Kyrie vs Lebron and about 8 all-star wings in the series, it would truly be an epic finals series and a rematch that we yearn for since 2010.

LA vs Boston next year, is that what you want too?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 09:34:57 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

Re: Celtics vs Lakers finals 2019
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 09:23:23 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I have zero desire to see a Lebron / George / Kawhi team in the playoffs.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 09:25:10 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Lebron, Paul George, and Kawhi on the same team is almost on par with the GSW..

So you want not only 2 powerhouses in the West, but 3?!?!
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 09:28:05 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Well, even if that happened, on one hand, Lebron turns 34 next year. He's NOT a long term solution for LAL. Also, to get Kawhi, I think you'd have to trade TWO of Ingram/Kuzma/Ball, along with Hart. Pop's rule is that he tries not to trade within conference, so LAL would have to overpay a bit to get him. Don't think Ingram and some pick in 2019 or beyond gets him (LAL doesn't have a high pick coming soon).

Also, what's their bench after that? Isaiah leaves. Randle leaves.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 09:28:29 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
I have zero desire to see a Lebron / George / Kawhi team in the playoffs.
But you know LeBron won't go and create a mediocre Clips or such, he will maximize his opportunity. Like he did in the last 2 instances (2010, 2014).

Lebron, Paul George, and Kawhi on the same team is almost on par with the GSW..

So you want not only 2 powerhouses in the West, but 3?!?!
Better a powerhouse there than here, in the East.

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 10:33:47 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
It is 'possible' for the Lakers to fall into such an incredibly lucky scenario, but the trade for Kawhi is still a mystery to me.

First, because of cap holds and minimum roster spots, Lebron and/or George would have to take slightly less than the combined ~66M they are assumed to receive. Even if this happened, the Lakers would basically need to trade Ingram, Ball, Kuzma, and Hart to make the numbers work after signing those two - leaving them with literally nobody else on the team besides Lebron, George, Kawhi, and Deng.

How they ever plan to get rid of Deng and his two years ~$37M in salary is beyond me. The most common thought is to use it in a trade for Kawhi so that they don't need to include all 4 players above in the trade, but why on earth would SAS agree to take on Deng?

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 10:54:23 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I can easily live without seeing the Lakers in the finals for a 21 year stretch -- just to match the C's drought in the finals from '87 - '08.

Would love to see the C's widen the title gap again before the Lakers even sniff a finals.

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 11:10:48 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
It is 'possible' for the Lakers to fall into such an incredibly lucky scenario, but the trade for Kawhi is still a mystery to me.

First, because of cap holds and minimum roster spots, Lebron and/or George would have to take slightly less than the combined ~66M they are assumed to receive. Even if this happened, the Lakers would basically need to trade Ingram, Ball, Kuzma, and Hart to make the numbers work after signing those two - leaving them with literally nobody else on the team besides Lebron, George, Kawhi, and Deng.

How they ever plan to get rid of Deng and his two years ~$37M in salary is beyond me. The most common thought is to use it in a trade for Kawhi so that they don't need to include all 4 players above in the trade, but why on earth would SAS agree to take on Deng?

TP. This is what I was going to say, as well.

While I could see Lebron and George signing in LA, I see Kawhi going somewhere like Philly before LA, as the Lakers will already have to gut much of their roster to even get those two.

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 11:24:31 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
My bold prediction is that next year is the year Lebron suffers a serious injury.  Not hating or wishing on the guy but the wear and tear HAS to catch up to him at some point doesn't it?

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 11:30:46 AM »

Offline aefgogreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 55
Well, even if that happened, on one hand, Lebron turns 34 next year. He's NOT a long term solution for LAL. Also, to get Kawhi, I think you'd have to trade TWO of Ingram/Kuzma/Ball, along with Hart. Pop's rule is that he tries not to trade within conference, so LAL would have to overpay a bit to get him. Don't think Ingram and some pick in 2019 or beyond gets him (LAL doesn't have a high pick coming soon).

Also, what's their bench after that? Isaiah leaves. Randle leaves.

I'd love to see Ball to the Spurs for no reason other than watching what Pop would do to LaVar.

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2018, 11:38:08 AM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
A Celtics-Lakers finals is meaningless unless both teams have key players with strong ties to their respective teams.

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2018, 11:45:55 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!

While I could see Lebron and George signing in LA, I see Kawhi going somewhere like Philly before LA, as the Lakers will already have to gut much of their roster to even get those two.

You know, it would be funny if despite all the hype and rumors, we see the headline, "Kawhi agrees to 5 year, 219M extension with Spurs"

It might actually be a good thing for us, because then that's one less star option that could head to LA or PHI. Meanwhile, I think it sways Lebron away from PHI as a destination, because they don't have the cap space to sign BOTH George + Lebron (w/Embiid's extension kicking in), and I'm not sure what other star is available via trade that's better than a healthy Leonard.

And if Lebron goes to LAL with George, that's fine by me. They become a Top-5 team in the West, but still aren't beating Golden State or Houston. Probably not beating San Antonio either if they keep Kawhi. Also some teams like Portland, Utah, MIN and OKC who won't be easy early-round opponents either (Lakers with George + Lebron could beat them, but probably in 6-7 games).

Actually, I wonder if there's a sign and trade option for San Antonio that sends Lebron to them to pair with Kawhi?  :o
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 11:51:36 AM by Phantom255x »
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2018, 11:56:55 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
First of all, we gotta make sure our title counts are far away from the Lakers. Once that is settled enough I'll permit a Lakers/Celtics finals.

Secondly, the Warriors and Rockets are powerhouses in the West. Difficult.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2018, 02:45:22 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff

You know, it would be funny if despite all the hype and rumors, we see the headline, "Kawhi agrees to 5 year, 219M extension with Spurs"

It might actually be a good thing for us, because then that's one less star option that could head to LA or PHI.
Meanwhile, I think it sways Lebron away from PHI as a destination, because they don't have the cap space to sign BOTH George + Lebron (w/Embiid's extension kicking in), and I'm not sure what other star is available via trade that's better than a healthy Leonard.

And if Lebron goes to LAL with George, that's fine by me. They become a Top-5 team in the West, but still aren't beating Golden State or Houston. Probably not beating San Antonio either if they keep Kawhi. Also some teams like Portland, Utah, MIN and OKC who won't be easy early-round opponents either (Lakers with George + Lebron could beat them, but probably in 6-7 games).

Actually, I wonder if there's a sign and trade option for San Antonio that sends Lebron to them to pair with Kawhi?  :o
You make a good point there.

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2018, 02:55:08 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996

It might actually be a good thing for us, because then that's one less star option that could head to LA or PHI. Meanwhile, I think it sways Lebron away from PHI as a destination, because they don't have the cap space to sign BOTH George + Lebron (w/Embiid's extension kicking in), and I'm not sure what other star is available via trade that's better than a healthy Leonard.

We might have to fathom getting swept by LeBron's Lakers or splitting with them 1 to 1 in regular season. And ya know how much I despise losing to the Lakers especially at the Garden. Feel like they play us better in TD than they do in Staples lol. LeBron always tend to bring his toughest game against the Celtics.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)