Author Topic: Brown and Tatum have become untradable  (Read 12392 times)

Re: Brown and Tatum have become untradable
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2018, 10:50:52 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
A Davis says Hey  :)

You're living in a world that does not exist. If you're proposing Jaylen Brown for Anthony Davis straight up with no salary cap considerations, Davis is the guy. The problem is we cannot afford to have 5 max contracts at the same time. At some point, you have to look at it from a financial perspective and say that Jaylen Brown at 5 million is the biggest bargain in the entire NBA. You don't move that CONTRACT for anyone.

« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2018, 11:23:03 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2018, 11:23:29 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
delete

« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2018, 11:24:55 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
https://twitter.com/CelticsPlacar/status/995247175218204672/photo/1

So close for the Nets  ;D

but knowing them, they probably mess up both drafts and pick Dragan Bender and Markelle Fultz

« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2018, 11:31:17 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

but knowing them, they probably mess up both drafts and pick Dragan Bender and Markelle Fultz
I don't think it's a slight on the Nets that they would not have ended up with Tatum and Brown.  I would bet that no other team in the league would have ended up with that combination and furthermore, would bet that less than a third of the league would have ended up with EITHER one of them.

Having Brown and Tatum is a testament to DA's genius.

« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2018, 12:00:26 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

I don't think it's a slight on the Nets that they would not have ended up with Tatum and Brown.  I would bet that no other team in the league would have ended up with that combination and furthermore, would bet that less than a third of the league would have ended up with EITHER one of them.

Having Brown and Tatum is a testament to DA's genius.

agreed

« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2018, 12:13:22 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
The consensus seems to be that Brown is untouchable and that Tatum is even more untouchable (meaning Tatum is the more highly valued of the two high value prospects).  I am coming around to Brown over Tatum.  This is splitting hairs on two really good prospects but if I had to pick one to include in a hypothetical trade for Anthony Davis or Kahwi Leonard (yes, I know the contracts do not work), I would trade Tatum and keep Brown.

I know that the conventional thinking is that Tatum is as good as he is in his first NBA season but he had a season at Duke as compared to Brown UC-Berkeley.  I think the experience/coaching is pretty comparable even though Brown has 2 NBA seasons.  I like Brown's body and overall athletic ability over Tatum, but give an edge to Tatum on pure shot making (but not that much of an edge).  Tatum's body may develop but I think he is always going to be more lean and won't ever have the strength that Brown already has.

« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2018, 12:36:11 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason

Knowing anyone. We reached for Jaylen (he was projected.. what #7 on the boards) and there is no doubt in my mind that 29 out of 30 GMs would have drafted Fultz. Only the Celtics would have drafted this combination.

« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2018, 12:55:03 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I could see Tatum as untradeable/untouchable but not Brown yet Brown in two years he could be top 5 SG. Very tough to picture either being dealt.
I reckon he is already top 15.

(in no particular order)

Harden
Klay
Oladipo
Beal
McCollum
Butler
DeRozan
Mitchell
Booker
Gary Harris
Reke

Can't think of anybody else who's better than Brown. I guess Jrue Holiday should be on this list as well, but he is only playing SG because of Rondo. Not to mention, Brown might already be better than 1-2 of those guys.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 02:57:35 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2018, 12:58:31 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
If we manage to miraculously win finals, could see a lot of chatter to package Kyrie and/or Gordon and/or Sac Pick for either Ayton pick or Davis.

« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2018, 01:28:35 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I agree personally, but also I feel like Danny Ainge felt this post being made and gave an eyebrow raise and a quarter-smile so let's just see where the chips fall. 

Think it's safe to say they both come back next year unless we get Davis or Kawhi with an extension.

« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2018, 01:31:49 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
A Davis says Hey  :)

You're living in a world that does not exist. If you're proposing Jaylen Brown for Anthony Davis straight up with no salary cap considerations, Davis is the guy. The problem is we cannot afford to have 5 max contracts at the same time. At some point, you have to look at it from a financial perspective and say that Jaylen Brown at 5 million is the biggest bargain in the entire NBA. You don't move that CONTRACT for anyone.

In a salary cap NBA, money is always a big issue. Danny Angie will have some tough decisions to make down the road. 

« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2018, 01:54:36 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
i like in year 2 after all the comparisons that Jaylen Brown is Jeff Green 2.0, Brown is proving himself to be something special, not to mention also facing Jeff Green in the ECF

« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2018, 02:39:12 PM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 45
Players I would trade both Brown and Tatum for:

1. Kevin Durant
2. Anthony Davis
3. Greek Freak
4. James Harden

Players I would trade just one of EITHER player for:

1. Karl Anthony Towns
2. Joel Embiid

Players who don't make sense at all to trade for because of age/position

1. Lebron
2. Curry
3. Westbrook
4. CP3
5. Wall

Players I would trade Brown for but NOT Tatum:

1. Kawhi
2. DeRozan
3. Jimmy Butler
4. Paul George
5. Boogie
6. Porzingis
7. Rudy Gobert

Tough to crunch so many scenarios, especially factoring the contract variable. Tatum is definitely the more "untradeable" in that he is far more consistent and his scoring range is far more polished. Tatum's ceiling is Durant, and I think he has a decent chance of reaching it. Brown reminds me of a young Kobe. Same athleticism, but the obvious moments where he hasn't grown in to his body so to speak. I think he is far more consistent than Bryant was in a young age, and Brown's defense at a young age is superior. I just think it is more likely for Tatum to reach his full potential compared to Brown.

Both players are very coachable though, and have bought in to Brad Stevens system 100%, so the sky is the limit for both of them. Their egos are in check, which is not typical of a young player with so much talent.....(see Ben Simmons).

To say they are "untradeable" is ridiculous, but for any of the players mentioned above to come available in a scenario where the Celtics are trade partners, to me, is highly unrealistic.

« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2018, 02:49:02 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Players I would trade both Brown and Tatum for:

1. Kevin Durant
2. Anthony Davis
3. Greek Freak
4. James Harden

Players I would trade just one of EITHER player for:

1. Karl Anthony Towns
2. Joel Embiid

Players who don't make sense at all to trade for because of age/position

1. Lebron
2. Curry
3. Westbrook
4. CP3
5. Wall

Players I would trade Brown for but NOT Tatum:

1. Kawhi
2. DeRozan
3. Jimmy Butler
4. Paul George
5. Boogie
6. Porzingis
7. Rudy Gobert

Tough to crunch so many scenarios, especially factoring the contract variable. Tatum is definitely the more "untradeable" in that he is far more consistent and his scoring range is far more polished. Tatum's ceiling is Durant, and I think he has a decent chance of reaching it. Brown reminds me of a young Kobe. Same athleticism, but the obvious moments where he hasn't grown in to his body so to speak. I think he is far more consistent than Bryant was in a young age, and Brown's defense at a young age is superior. I just think it is more likely for Tatum to reach his full potential compared to Brown.

Both players are very coachable though, and have bought in to Brad Stevens system 100%, so the sky is the limit for both of them. Their egos are in check, which is not typical of a young player with so much talent.....(see Ben Simmons).

To say they are "untradeable" is ridiculous, but for any of the players mentioned above to come available in a scenario where the Celtics are trade partners, to me, is highly unrealistic.

I have to say I disagree with almost everything you had in that post.  No way I would trade both Tatum and Brown for any one player in the league and especially not Giannis or Harden.
The trade list for Jalen is really funny.  Brown might be better right now than Butler, DeRozan. 

Excuse me while I go an poke my eyes out after that one.  I am impressed in your ability to go against the grain though.