Author Topic: Brown and Tatum have become untradable  (Read 12387 times)

Re: Brown and Tatum have become untradable
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2018, 08:41:07 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
A Davis says Hey  :)

« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2018, 08:45:51 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
I love Brown and Tatum, but Ainge would trade either of them in a heartbeat for AD. Davis is 25 years old, and was arguably the best player in the NBA this season.

Same thing with Kawhi. If you are confident in his health,  you're getting a perennial team all NBA and 1st team all defensive player. He's the player we hope Brown/Tatum become.

I love both and there's something better about having your own homegrown players. But Ainge would rightfully have to trade either if he could get a player of AD's caliber.

TP for this.

No one on this forum has been a bigger cheerleader of Jaylen Brown than I have. But for someone to say that they wouldn't trade JB for Kawhi is the very definition of insanity. JB's peak potential is Kawhi., who is a top 5 player in the league. Kawhi is by far the better player on both ends of the floor right now and is only 26 years old. There's no doubt that you make that lopsided trade every day of the week and twice on Sunday. The same goes for AD. Again, there's no question about making that trade.

I predicted right after the draft two years ago that JB would make the All Star team within 5 years and I still hold to that prediction. Tatum looks like an absolute stone-cold killer. But I'd move either of those guys to bring in Kawhi or Davis because those guys ARE peak players. We can only hope that Brown and Tatum become peak players.

With that said, there is one exception to that which is the omnipresent salary cap and luxury tax. If getting Leonard or Davis forces you to lose not only Brown or Tatum but also strips the ability to resign Kyrie or otherwise gut the team then it's a different story. That's really the brilliance of Danny's plan here too. When Brown is due for an extension Horford's contract is up. When it's Tatum's turn, Hayward is up. If signing one of those top guys just kills our ability to field a competitive team due to the luxury tax then you don't make that move.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2018, 08:53:23 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
They are the best players of the best team, ofc they are untradeable.

« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2018, 08:58:07 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Both are untradeable...but there is someone who is tradeable. His name is Kyrie Irving.

I want to see Irving and Hayward play with Brown, Tatum, Horford, Rozier and Smart for at least 1 year.

The ball moves better without Irving and I've been saying this all year. Irving can get us a bucket when needed. Our defense is better without Irving...but we need Irving.

I wouldn't make any trades and I would just look to fill the 8th, 9th, 10th man. I would unload Yabu, Monroe, Baynes, Nader and Larkin. I would give Larkin's spot to Bird and see what he can do.

No trades YET.

« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2018, 09:34:37 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Trading Tatum or Brown now would be the dumbest possible thing Ainge could do. There's no player worth trading either of these two future superstars for.

Why?

These are future superstars who are already playing at an All-Star level in the playoffs who are both under 23 years old and on rookie contracts. Next season we'll be getting back two All-Stars in their prime (Kyrie and Hayward), and will have another in Horford. This team is winning the title next year, good health willing. Ain't nobody beating that lineup, not even GSW (go ahead - quote me on this - I'll be sure to say I told you so next June)

So why trade for a player who isn't needed and give up our youth when all that does is give away our future? Five years from now Tatum and Brown will be MVP candidates themselves while any star we trade them for now will be on the downside of their prime by then.

It ain't happening folks, just get used it and accept it. The performances of our young duo in these playoffs have solidified their stay here in Boston for the duration of the primes of their careers.

« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2018, 09:37:09 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Both are untradeable...but there is someone who is tradeable. His name is Kyrie Irving.

I want to see Irving and Hayward play with Brown, Tatum, Horford, Rozier and Smart for at least 1 year.

The ball moves better without Irving and I've been saying this all year. Irving can get us a bucket when needed. Our defense is better without Irving...but we need Irving.

I wouldn't make any trades and I would just look to fill the 8th, 9th, 10th man. I would unload Yabu, Monroe, Baynes, Nader and Larkin. I would give Larkin's spot to Bird and see what he can do.

No trades YET.

I won't give my opinion either way for a Kyrie trade, but it should be noted that his contract is up after next season (no way he picks up his option). If we are planning to trade Kyrie, we either need to do it this summer or really not at all.

As for Jaylen and Jayson, I echo others' sentiments about AD and possibly Kawhi, but in general don't think these are the players we should be looking to move.

« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2018, 09:38:54 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Its really not that hard to work in Hayward/Kyrie along with Tatum/Brown.

You just play Morris/Smart/Rozier less, which then filters down to the Larkin/Semi/Theis/Baynes types as well. Morris got 26 MPG and a lot of shots in that time for example that's going down a LOT if we're fully healthy.

Well I get the larkin / semi part (they are clearly 3rd string players on our current team), but I think we need Baynes or a player like him in the rotation.  Hayward isn't taking Baynes minutes.

Baynes isn't really a 3rd string player like the others.  Honestly I don't think Theis is either.
If Brad has a healthy Hayward/Tatum/Brown he's going to play small a lot more often than he did last year.

That's match up dependent of course, but I definitely think Brad's preferred lineup is the one he started the season with.

« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2018, 09:40:48 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I said Tatum IMHO is untouchable even to the likes of Greek Freak or AD if they were made available (on Sportscenter, ESPN facebook pages).

They (other commenters) called me crazy and thought I was an idiot, especially for saying he's untouchable for Davis.

But I still agree!  ;D
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2018, 09:51:27 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I am firmly now in the camp of them both being untouchable.

Next years lineup of Irving/Brown/Hayward/Tatum/Horford is absurd. Back that up with Rozier, resigned Smart, Semi, Morris and resigned Baynes and that is beyond title worthy.

« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2018, 10:03:31 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
The understandable and warranted hype for Brown and Tatum right now has over-shot the reality some.  I would not hesitate to include Tatum or Brown in a trade for Anthony Davis, for example.  There are not that many more cases that I can think of but that is one.  "Untradeable" is just too hyperbolic for me.  No one is untradeable in the absolute.

I don't think it is likely that either is traded (I would put the odds at 0.01%) but that is a different statement.  More interesting I think is going to be what we start to hear about Kyrie and Hayward trades.  I assume Kyrie has a trade kicker still, right?  Would he waive that for Phoenix for example and could we get a top 3 pick plus a decent player?  How about Hayward, do we have to guts to trade him (along with Rozier and the Sac pick for example) before he has even played if it got us Kahwi Leonard?

One thing we do know, Danny is not afraid to make a big trade.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 10:25:42 AM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2018, 10:24:41 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
If I did not have to think about contracts, and if Kawhi is healthy and motivated, then as good as JB is (and he's really, really good) I would be willing to send Brown out for Kawhi. A five of Irving, Tatum, Hayward, Kawhi, and Horford is almost unfair to the rest of the league.

But we do have to think about contracts and we don't know if Kawhi is healthy and motivated, and under those conditions you can't do it without mortgaging the near future on a pretty big bet. The juice is not worth the squeeze.

Maybe, maybe, maybe Irving for Kawhi - swapping one big contract for another, and *if he is healthy* getting a superior two-way player. But that's still a lot of ifs and we probably end up sitting an allstar-caliber wing for part of the game(!) which is nuts. 

I'd rather run it back or find some way to bring in Al's replacement. 

« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2018, 10:33:45 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I could see Tatum as untradeable/untouchable but not Brown yet Brown in two years he could be top 5 SG. Very tough to picture either being dealt.

« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2018, 10:38:04 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
I had been on board with trading Jaylen Brown for a big star, but not anymore. He's so unbelievably talented at 21 that I'm not trading him for anyone. He and Tatum represent a 15 year long Celtics dynasty. AND they're good now. Why would you trade them? Where else are you going to get top 30 players at 5 mil a year?

« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2018, 10:41:05 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I don't know why on earth anybody would want to move either these guys this offseason (in a realistic move) and not see what this team is capable of next season with a core of Kyrie, Hayward, Horford, Brown, & Tatum.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2018, 10:43:04 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Nobody on the Celtics is off limits. You guys should know that.

Tatum says hi

Cavs initially wanted Tatum.....Ainge wouldnt cave in