Author Topic: Brown and Tatum have become untradable  (Read 12391 times)

Re: Brown and Tatum have become untradable
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2018, 12:09:17 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Agreed.  My biggest fear is that we stunt their growth thru lesser roles next season.

I have started to wonder about how things work next year as well.  The thing I come back to is that all 3 of Brown / Tatum / Rozier all need big minutes next year regardless of who else is on the team.  Obviously Rozier won't start once Kyrie returns, but Rozier shouldn't go back to small minutes either.  He has earned a big role in the rotation.  What happens to Smart will have an impact for sure.

For Brown and Tatum, they will probably still start and may only see a small drop in minutes from last year.  I like Kyrie but we have to admit that with Rozier in the lineup Brown and Tatum have had more opportunities versus if Kyrie was here.

I guess we should be glad that the C's have had such a great chance to evaluate Brown and Tatum and Rozier...we know more what we have with the young guys now and hopefully that makes good decisions regarding the roster and trades easier.

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2018, 12:19:24 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
The reason they maybe shouldn’t be traded is not the reason most assume.  As talents, either would be fine to include for Davis, who is still likely better now than either will ever be.

The reason you don’t trade them is because of team. The last thing you want to do is mess with the versatility of this team.  It’s causing havoc offensively and defensively.

You really think most people that say no do it for talent and not team versatility and cost control?
Yeah, I do think people say no because of talent.  As for cost control, I’m sure DA ha sir figured out but eventually two max contracts will be greater than one.

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2018, 12:26:14 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Agreed.  My biggest fear is that we stunt their growth thru lesser roles next season.
Lesser roles won’t stunt their growth.  It may stunt their numbers buts that’s different.  It’s survival of the fittest anyway.  Everything will works itself out.

If they are good enough as #1 and 2 options to win the East, or even beyond, it wouldn't behoove us now or in the future to relegate them to lesser roles due to seniority.  And I say that as a huge Hayward fan.  I wouldn't trade either of them for Kawhi at this point.
And if Hayward is better than both of them, and I think he is, then they will and should be knocked down a peg or two.  Like I said, it will work itself out.

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2018, 12:26:42 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

I have started to wonder about how things work next year as well.  The thing I come back to is that all 3 of Brown / Tatum / Rozier all need big minutes next year regardless of who else is on the team. 

I think Tatum, Brown and Rozier are going to be happier passing into the corner for an open 3 from Gordon Hayward than they are passing into the corner for an open 3 from Semi Ojeleye.

But in seriousness, these things have a way of working out. Golden State has all that talent and guys like Quinn Cook, Nick Young, McCaw, Livingston, Casspi etc. all got regular minutes for them. It's a long season, guys get hurt, etc...

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2018, 12:31:13 AM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
Not worried about minutes. Brad will be able to manage the wear and tear of the stars better if everyone plays well.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2018, 12:42:44 AM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62
Tatum has a long way to go on the defensive end, reading the plays better , not getting bullied around the rim, even if he doesn't increase his offensive production a huge deal due to Hayward's return and Kyrie getting his.He can still grow on the defensive end and become a greater two way player.
Also reading defenses better ,getting stronger taking it to basket, lots of areas for him to work on regardless if his regular season minutes and shots don't take a huge jump next season.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 02:40:37 AM by GC003332 »

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2018, 12:43:43 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

I have started to wonder about how things work next year as well.  The thing I come back to is that all 3 of Brown / Tatum / Rozier all need big minutes next year regardless of who else is on the team. 

I think Tatum, Brown and Rozier are going to be happier passing into the corner for an open 3 from Gordon Hayward than they are passing into the corner for an open 3 from Semi Ojeleye.

But in seriousness, these things have a way of working out. Golden State has all that talent and guys like Quinn Cook, Nick Young, McCaw, Livingston, Casspi etc. all got regular minutes for them. It's a long season, guys get hurt, etc...

I agree with you guys that the team has an opportunity to be special.  Historically special, even.  But I mentioned elsewhere that we are significantly different from GS in that they came together as vets with the goal of a chip. WGwnuinely believe that Brown, Tatum and Rozier are very high character guys that would fit into the roles they're assigned.  But they're also just tapping into their potential and at the height of their growth.  I really want them to see that thru properly. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2018, 12:46:15 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Lebron cant keep up with Tatum and browns endurance. Tatum played 37 minutes. Lebron looks gassed by the 3rd. He's too old and lost a step on D

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2018, 12:48:40 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I disagree they are untradable, because as good as they are and could become Anthony Davis is an MVP/KG caliber player.

I'm not worried about minutes for them, Morris got plenty of minutes and shots those are going to go to way down once Hayward is back on the court.

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2018, 12:53:35 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

I have started to wonder about how things work next year as well.  The thing I come back to is that all 3 of Brown / Tatum / Rozier all need big minutes next year regardless of who else is on the team.  Obviously Rozier won't start once Kyrie returns, but Rozier shouldn't go back to small minutes either.  He has earned a big role in the rotation.  What happens to Smart will have an impact for sure.

For Brown and Tatum, they will probably still start and may only see a small drop in minutes from last year.  I like Kyrie but we have to admit that with Rozier in the lineup Brown and Tatum have had more opportunities versus if Kyrie was here.

I guess we should be glad that the C's have had such a great chance to evaluate Brown and Tatum and Rozier...we know more what we have with the young guys now and hopefully that makes good decisions regarding the roster and trades easier.

Yeah, I have a lot of similar thoughts.  Maybe we should just be grateful for the massive amount of talent.  But I'm surprised and excited about how good they have become so fricken quickly. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2018, 01:18:26 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
I disagree they are untradable, because as good as they are and could become Anthony Davis is an MVP/KG caliber player.

I'm not worried about minutes for them, Morris got plenty of minutes and shots those are going to go to way down once Hayward is back on the court.
Wouldn't it be better to move kyrie for Davis? I know it takes 2 to tango but yea

I do see your point

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2018, 01:19:34 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Wouldn't it be better to move kyrie for Davis? I know it takes 2 to tango but yea

I do see your point
In 2019 when Davis is going to be potentially available Kyrie will be on his new contract and older, not attractive to NOP.

Plus moving Davis means you are blowing it up, so young players are the ask.

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2018, 01:28:13 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

I do see your point
In 2019 when Davis is going to be potentially available Kyrie will be on his new contract and older, not attractive to NOP.

Plus moving Davis means you are blowing it up, so young players are the ask.
the growth curve of Tatum and brown is just too attractive to give up. We're paying these guys peanuts to perform at arguably all star levels. Hard to give up this long term cost controlled duo. They might be the 2 best contracts in the nba. This is like when Steph curry was on that rookie deal. Or rondo on that rookie extension .

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2018, 01:30:09 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Lebron cant keep up with Tatum and browns endurance. Tatum played 37 minutes. Lebron looks gassed by the 3rd. He's too old and lost a step on D

What are you talkin about?.. LeHelp has been playin around 42 min a game in these playoffs. He wasn't gassed, he was dejected because they were blown off. He only played 37 min because there wasn't any need for him but if it were close then LeWhi e would havr played the entire 4th qtr.

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2018, 01:31:11 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

The only way this really works is if Brad gets them ALL to buy in. That means less minutes, lower stats. I’m talking nobody on the team averages more than 30mpg.

The importance of health and rest is paramount. I’d rather see Kyrie, Al, Gordon play 28-30 minutes a night and be fresh. Then guys like Terry, Jaylen, and Jayson can also get around 24-28mpg which will not stunt their growth.

Then when the playoffs arrive, you can go with short rotation of Irving/Rozier/Brown/Smart/Hayward/Morris/Tatum/Horford with some extra bigs here and there depending on matchups.

If not everyone can buy in (especially the guys in their contract years), then maybe Danny has to consolidate assets.
CELTICS 2024