Author Topic: Dwayne Casey Axed  (Read 5412 times)

Re: Dwayne Casey Axed
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2018, 12:09:04 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
Casey cannot give Lowry, DeRozan & Ibaka heart. It's on the players but you can't fire them.

You could trade them lol.

That is probably next on the list for the Raptors. 

Re: Coach of the year FIRED!!
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2018, 12:10:48 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
If I were the Raptors, I'd rather have Casey and the roster minus Derozan and Lowry -- like literally, trade them away for nothing -- than fire Casey and keep the core stars.

The core guys are the problem with that team.  There's no reason to think Casey had lost the team or anything like that.  A new coach won't give them a higher ceiling.

If Derozan and Lowry are to blame, then maybe the GM should be fired first. After all, he was the one who gave them those awful contracts, and built that weak minded team.
They are good but not great players, but how exactly is Toronto going to get a great player?  They basically have to tank, find some way to trade for one, or get lucky later in the draft.  I mean Toronto, as is, has a very difficult time of even keeping their stars.  In fact every player they've had that has been better than DeRozan has left in free agency (McGrady, Carter, Bosh).  It is a tough job. 

That said, I think they should trade DeRozan, JV, and/or Lowry and see if they can find a better mix of talent or just start over completely.  The Sixers and Cavs both have lottery picks this year.  Both would make some sense for DeRozan or Lowry (that assumes James stays of course).  Clarkson, Smith, Osman/Nance, BKN for DeRozan as an example.  Or after the new season flips (though it can be worked out before draft so it is Toronto's pick) - Lowry for Bayless, McConnell/Holmes/Anderson, LAL (or something like that).  The Raptors could do both trades and end up with 8 and 10 (Bamba and Sexton on nbadraft.net), plus some other younger players to really start their rebuild and could likely get other 1st round picks thrown in (maybe the Cleveland and Philly 1st's from this year or future such picks).  They then try to find trading partners for JV, Smith, etc. to really rebuild.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2018, 12:37:54 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
what world are we living in now that a head coach wins 59 games, top seed in the east, wins coach of the year, gets to the second round of the playoffs and then gets fired???  I mean holy smokes, such a wrong headed move. 

It is the guys on the court that can't compete with Lebron.  In some way that is a reflection of the coaching, but only a very very very small part.  You have to wonder if this is the first step of breaking up of the raptors team.

I agree that it does not seem right. However, something needed to change for them. They are a really good regular season team, but completely fall apart in the playoffs year after year.

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2018, 12:40:21 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
They need to trade Val and Ibaka which was a dumb signing by Masai

Vs Celtics , gearing the team to be able to matchup Cavs (3 pt defense, versatile long defenders)  and obtaining a really good 1 on 1 defender (Morris)

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2018, 12:56:19 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Crazy. Stupid and shortsighted move
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2018, 01:03:46 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I still don't understand what Casey did to deserve that Coach of the Year recognition from his peers.

Nor do I.

From what I recall, Toronto returned most of their team and were healthy the entire year. The Celtics team only returned 4 players from last season, suffered a major injury minutes into this season, were starting a 19 year old rookie, and had several other season ending injuries. Yet, Toronto only finished 4 games ahead of Boston.

All of this is absolutely correct. Casey faced no obstacle that could be considered significant, whereas Stevens faced a bevy of big challenges—major injuries to major players, an almost-new roster, heavy reliance on a rookie.

TP.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2018, 01:10:44 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I still don't understand what Casey did to deserve that Coach of the Year recognition from his peers.

Nor do I.

Russillo pointed out on his podcast that NBA coaches tend to feel that awards should be given first to the team that won more games (coaches are often reluctant to vote guys on losing teams to the All-Star game), so they may have voted for Casey ahead of Stevens by default because Casey's team got the #1 seed ahead of the Celts.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: Coach of the year FIRED!!
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2018, 01:16:31 PM »

Offline blackbird

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 64

I seriously don't see how anyone other than Brad should win Coach of the Year this year. While he has his warts, the adversity he has overcome with the injuries this season has been phenomenal.

Compelling arguments can be made for McMillan, Snyder, and D'Antoni in my opinion. Maybe Stotts too.

Very curious to know what you believe to be Stevens's warts...

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2018, 01:22:35 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Crazy. Stupid and shortsighted move

no its not

Raptors were not prepared. and could not deal with game 1 loss

the strategy etc was way off

you keep Casey with this team, they will go nowhere

Look at what the Pacers did against the Cavs.  you can argue raptors have even more talent. It came down to coaching

They can't keep the same team and it is harder to trade your stars vs Coach.   

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2018, 01:27:47 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Suck it Casey.

The real COY is still playing

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2018, 01:47:07 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Just for some perspective, if the Celts had run into Lebron in the second round we might be fishing as well. I don't think stevens would have been fired things might look different than they do now.

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2018, 01:54:38 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
not really surprised after that sweep and total domination by Cleveland.  Bigger issue is the roster but firing a coach is easier.

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2018, 09:54:14 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Could Casey go to Milwaukee? I feel like that’s the closest thing to a good team that’s on the hunt, and regardless of Casey getting (mistakenly) fired, I think he would have to be in demand.

Can’t be worse than Kidd
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2018, 09:57:55 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
As much as I don't think Casey is that good of a coach I don't see the better replacement out there

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2018, 10:42:42 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
not really surprised after that sweep and total domination by Cleveland.  Bigger issue is the roster but firing a coach is easier.

The Raptors lost 10 straight playoff games against the Cavaliers in consecutive seasons. That's what truly got him axed.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)