Author Topic: Any chance a Rozier trade package can get us Mohamed Bamba?  (Read 11442 times)

Re: Any chance a Rozier trade package can get us Mohamed Bamba?
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2018, 12:57:20 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
If I can get 5 or 6 I wouldn't be drafting Bama. I'd take Porter

Irving, Brown, Tatum, Porter, Horford
Disagree for a few reasons.

We have no data on Porter other than high-school, where there were fair concerns he played against weak opposition. He hasn't come up against any notable opposition yet. There are also significant injury concerns.

Compare this to injury free Bamba, with his elite rim protection, good rebounding and developing shooting touch I couldn't justify taking Porter.

Plus, I can't see Porter pushing Hayward out of the starting lineup. Hayward next to JT is better than JT next to Porter
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2018, 01:18:05 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11

We have no data on Porter other than high-school, where there were fair concerns he played against weak opposition. He hasn't come up against any notable opposition yet. There are also significant injury concerns.

Compare this to injury free Bamba, with his elite rim protection, good rebounding and developing shooting touch I couldn't justify taking Porter.

Plus, I can't see Porter pushing Hayward out of the starting lineup. Hayward next to JT is better than JT next to Porter
Shooting touch is not something to bring up when lobbying for Bamba over Porter.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2018, 01:20:19 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419

Lol aren't you forgetting somebody?

« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2018, 01:25:55 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
Just commenting to get on record that I am very high on Mo Bamba. He knows his weaknesses, and he's already working on them (with Drew Hanlen, the guy who helped Tatum clean up his jumper last offseason). He's ridiculously long, and, from what I've seen, he's also very agile and switchable. I think he could be a more fluid Gobert with a three point shot.

« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2018, 01:41:10 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
just say no to Noel.

Yes to Wendell Carter or Bamba...

No to giving up Sac pick in the deal.

Would you include the Sac pick for Jackson, Bagley, or Ayton?

Personally, I don't think the Sac pick and Rozier would be enough for any of those three.

I just don't know why we would give up the SAC pick AND Rozier for like the 7th or 8th pick when the SAC pick alone is slated to be in the top 5 next year. We shouldn't be throwing that pick around like it's nothing when we have the MEM pick (also a good asset), the LAC pick, and all of our own picks for trade fodder.

I also think we need to make sure that we receive either a draft pick or a player who was drafted in 2017 if we are trading Rozier. One extra year for a player like Chriss doesn't cut it - Rozier more than makes up the difference there. Since it is so hard to get teams to part with high draft picks, it is why I brought up a player like Isaac from Orlando who could be 'gettable' and likely won't cost what the #6 in this draft would.
The reason for giving up Rozier and the Sac pick is that the C's have become so deep that there is only one remaining path for improving the team core via the draft, and that is to get a top big man onto the roster and start developing them.

This is an unusually good draft for big men, and there is no one on the horizon for next year. A top draft choice next year just doesn't help much if it can only bring a talented wing scorer or point guard. Where would they fit? We really only need big men, and even then, only for the longer term. It's the perfect time to go get an apprentice for Horford.

Bamba might evolve into a complete player some day, but right now he has no NBA ready offensive skills. Carter has the kind of all-around skills that would fit the C's offense, and Jackson at least looks like a very solid shooter, and seems to be just as good a rim protector as Bamba. I think we could get one of those two guys with Rozier, the Sac pick and maybe a little filler.

« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2018, 03:13:06 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

Nader?

:laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2018, 03:25:56 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

Yeah, people are forgetting we are getting back a SF, and a darn good one next season. It's why the Leonard trade doesn't make sense unless some one is willing to give up Brown.

I think we need to go for a young Big to learn under Horford the next two seasons and potentially take over when Horfods contract is done. Tatum has enough length to play PF and will add probably 15 to 20 lbs this summer.

If we get lucky and land the 2nd pick, I'd toss TR and any picks at the 1 seed if they take Ayton. But would be fine with snagging Bagley or Carter. I think if we can make a move to snag one of those three with the core we have, and having Irving/Hayward/Horfod as our current big 3, with Brown/Tatum/AytonorBagely as the second coming, and hopefully keep Smart in that mix. We would be scary good for the next 8+ years.

« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2018, 04:54:09 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

I didn't put in the bench

« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2018, 02:45:23 AM »

Offline sawick48

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
Who might have an interest in Rozier?

Magic at 5? Maybe. They liked him last year. The problem is value. They might like him, but not enough to give up the 5th pick. A Rozier-Fournier-Gordon-Isaac core is athletic, switchy, and pretty good shooters.

Bulls at 6? Maybe, but doubtful. They already have Dunn and Lavine in the backcourt. It seems more likely they would take one of the bigs available to continue to build.

Kings at 7? Maybe, but doubtful. They have Fox and Hield. Rozier is probably better than both of those guys and can play with both of them. At this point, the Kings could use a proven up-and-coming talent with competitiveness and heart.

Cavs at 8? Doubtful. Can you imagine the spectacle if the Cavs wind up with essential Rozier for Irving?

Knicks at 9? Possibly, but I doubt Bamba will still be available. Rozier in the garden would be great for him. He'd be appreciated there.

If Bamba was available at 8, I think I would do Terry plus the Sacramento pick to Cleveland for Bamba, and I think Cleveland would strongly consider that offer, as I expect them to be shopping that pick for an upgrade right now. I think that's a win-win for both sides.

For Cleveland, I think they'll likely be shopping that pick for a star to pair with Lebron to convince him to stay in Cleveland, which seems to be more realistic now than prior to the playoffs; however, I don't think they get any current star or budding star with the number eight pick. But an offer of Rozier and the Sacramento pick would still be a good get for them, as Rozier is young enough to be a core piece moving forward (with or without Lebron) while also able to help them out next year. He's also from the Cleveland area, so he's likely to stay there long-term. A lineup of Rozier, Hill, Lebron, Love, and TT moving forward is really nice for them, and they'd still get to keep a higher-potential pick for next year's draft, though it doesn't seem to be nearly as deep or talented.

For Boston, someone like Bamba would be the absolute perfect fit in our young core moving forward, as we lack a young, defensive-minded big that can be plugged in alongside Kyrie, Brown, Hayward, and Tatum eventually. He would also have an excellent mentor readily available in Horford, and we'd have the luxury right now of bringing him along slowly off the bench and allowing him to develop into what we need. It also probably means keeping Smart long-term, which I think is crucial to our continued success. And while it would mean losing the Sacramento pick, that draft looks really weak as it is right now, and there is a substantial lack of bigs to choose from in that draft, which is what we really need. I'd rather pay for Bamba now than risk taking something lesser in a lesser position of need next year.

If Bamba falls to 9 I could also see a deal going down centering around Rozier and one of our lesser picks to NY.

Gonna go out on a limb and say regardless of what happens w/ LeBron this offseason Cleveland will have 0 interest in picking up any of Ainge's phone calls for a while.

« Reply #69 on: May 13, 2018, 03:05:21 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Shooting touch is not something to bring up when lobbying for Bamba over Porter.
Right, because I definitely said Bamba was a better shooter than Porter, or anything like that.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2018, 03:55:46 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I’d trade Rosier for a top-5 pick.

Anything less than that (or part of a blockbuster), I’d rather run this back and see what we do.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #71 on: May 13, 2018, 07:34:19 AM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64
just say no to Noel.

Yes to Wendell Carter or Bamba...

No to giving up Sac pick in the deal.

Would you include the Sac pick for Jackson, Bagley, or Ayton?

Personally, I don't think the Sac pick and Rozier would be enough for any of those three.

I just don't know why we would give up the SAC pick AND Rozier for like the 7th or 8th pick when the SAC pick alone is slated to be in the top 5 next year. We shouldn't be throwing that pick around like it's nothing when we have the MEM pick (also a good asset), the LAC pick, and all of our own picks for trade fodder.

I also think we need to make sure that we receive either a draft pick or a player who was drafted in 2017 if we are trading Rozier. One extra year for a player like Chriss doesn't cut it - Rozier more than makes up the difference there. Since it is so hard to get teams to part with high draft picks, it is why I brought up a player like Isaac from Orlando who could be 'gettable' and likely won't cost what the #6 in this draft would.
The reason for giving up Rozier and the Sac pick is that the C's have become so deep that there is only one remaining path for improving the team core via the draft, and that is to get a top big man onto the roster and start developing them.

This is an unusually good draft for big men, and there is no one on the horizon for next year. A top draft choice next year just doesn't help much if it can only bring a talented wing scorer or point guard. Where would they fit? We really only need big men, and even then, only for the longer term. It's the perfect time to go get an apprentice for Horford.

Bamba might evolve into a complete player some day, but right now he has no NBA ready offensive skills. Carter has the kind of all-around skills that would fit the C's offense, and Jackson at least looks like a very solid shooter, and seems to be just as good a rim protector as Bamba. I think we could get one of those two guys with Rozier, the Sac pick and maybe a little filler.

Bamba is not that great. He may not even be as good as Thon Maker. Id put that at the same level just about. Next year you have a chance to grab Zion Williamson or Bol Bol. I have Sacramento having the worst record in the NBA next year, at least bottom 3. You dont touch that pick. Rozier by himself is worth a top 5 pick, no need to sweeten any deal unless youre talking about Anthony Davis.

« Reply #72 on: May 13, 2018, 07:45:46 AM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11

Right, because I definitely said Bamba was a better shooter than Porter, or anything like that.
Right, because I definitely accused you of doing so, or anything like that.  ::)
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #73 on: May 15, 2018, 07:13:51 AM »

Offline timriffic

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12
I think Terry and the C's 1st pick this year is enough to move into the top 10 and take the best big available