Author Topic: Any chance a Rozier trade package can get us Mohamed Bamba?  (Read 11448 times)

Offline CelticsQuestFor18

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
Most mock projections don't have Bamba in the Top-5 of their mocks, but most have him going somewhere in the 6-9 range (with a few having him go at 5). I think that's fair to be honest, considering the risks involved with him as well. W/o those risks, Bamba could be in the same tier as Ayton who is projected to be a Top-2 pick this June.

I'm enjoying our current playoff run with Scary Terry, but looking ahead I think there's three options going forward:

(1) Keep Rozier for next season to make a legit run at Banner 18, and likely lose him next summer in FA (Some team offers him near-max or something which we don't match)

(2) Lose Smart in RFA, so Ainge keeps Rozier and works an extension with him (even if it's for a lot more $$$ than expected)

(3) Sell high on Rozier THIS summer

Seeing what Ainge has done previously, I honestly think either (2) or (3) is done. Ainge won't just lose Rozier for absolutely nothing if the writing is in the wall (and it seems it is, as Rozier will command a big pay day and will probably want to start understandably). I also predict Smart's market is a bit over-exaggerated and he won't command as much as people think, so Ainge re-signs him in the 9-12M a year range (still a great pay day, but not 15M+ a year).

So is there a chance Rozier + asset(s) (NOT Kings Pick) can get us into the 6-9 range to select Bamba, or is Bamba simply out of our range? I'm pretty high on Bamba, even if he is currently "raw" and isn't as polished as the others yet. Or are you all just not Bamba fans lol?

Anyways, GO C'S! Keep proving the doubters wrong!

Re: Any chance a Rozier trade package can get us Mohamed Bamba?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 09:43:19 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I don't think it is realistic that we can trade up even including Rozier in a package unless it also included Sac pick, which would be too much. I'd consider trading our 1st pick and our Clip pick to go up enough to draft Mitchell Robinson, who is probably going to land in high teens or low twenties, unless his stock climbs during workouts. Given his athleticism, a distinct possibility.

I think Robinson will be better than Bamba in the NBA. Much higher motor.  Only question is his head, which I concede is a big IF.

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 09:44:15 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
What can Nerlens Noel expect to make in the open market?  I don't suppose we could sign him with min deal, right?

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 09:48:11 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I don't think it is realistic that we can trade up even including Rozier in a package unless it also included Sac pick, which would be too much. I'd consider trading our 1st pick and our Clip pick to go up enough to draft Mitchell Robinson, who is probably going to land in high teens or low twenties, unless his stock climbs during workouts. Given his athleticism, a distinct possibility.

I think Robinson will be better than Bamba in the NBA. Much higher motor.  Only question is his head, which I concede is a big IF.

Is it really that hard to believe we could package Rozier, one of our picks, and possibly the Clippers pick?

That being said, Bamba cannot shoot, so how would he even fit in our offense.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 09:49:05 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
What can Nerlens Noel expect to make in the open market?  I don't suppose we could sign him with min deal, right?

I actually think both Noel and Okafor are going to have to sign vet. min deals if they want to play (as prove it deals). Idk, maybe a team gets desperate or are actually super high on either and offer them around 4-7M/year or MLE?? (Doubt it)

Might be in the minority, but I wouldn't mind if Boston signed one of them to a minimum deal. If we project to keep one of Baynes/Monroe and lose the other, then we could sign a Noel or Okafor on the cheap and have a front court of Morris (I don't see us trading him), Horford, Theis, Baynes/Monroe, Okafor/Noel. Worst case scenario, it doesn't work and they are just on the bench for the most part. Best case scenario, they are solid role players for us in a Banner run (and improve their value a ton going into the summer of 2019).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 09:58:19 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
I think the only significant piece left for this team is to get a top big in the draft and start their development. Spending the Sac pick along with Rozier is fine with me. I'm not sure what the point would be of bringing in a top prospect at another position, unless we also shed some players we have now. We would still would have some quality draft picks in the next few years to fill in any role positions. This is an unusually good big man draft and next year isn't. I hope the C's go for it.

Bamba, Jackson or Carter would all be great additions. Carter is by far the most suited to eventually filling Al Horford's shoes, although perhaps when Jaylen and Jason are in their prime, we won't need that so much. Bamba and Jackson could be defensive monsters.

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 09:58:57 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

I actually think both Noel and Okafor are going to have to sign vet. min deals if they want to play (as prove it deals). Idk, maybe a team gets desperate or are actually super high on either and offer them around 4-7M/year or MLE?? (Doubt it)

Might be in the minority, but I wouldn't mind if Boston signed one of them to a minimum deal. If we project to keep one of Baynes/Monroe and lose the other, then we could sign a Noel or Okafor on the cheap and have a front court of Morris (I don't see us trading him), Horford, Theis, Baynes/Monroe, Okafor/Noel. Worst case scenario, it doesn't work and they are just on the bench for the most part. Best case scenario, they are solid role players for us in a Banner run (and improve their value a ton going into the summer of 2019).

I'd take a chance on Noel given his defensive prowess and athleticism. 

Hoping we sign Baynes instead of Monroe, given his defensive utility against the Embiids of this world, not to mention the prospect of developing a 3 point shot.

If we end up signing Monroe, can't imagine we'd even consider Okafor. 

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 10:01:40 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

Hoping we sign Baynes instead of Monroe, given his defensive utility against the Embiids of this world, not to mention the prospect of developing a 3 point shot.

I'd personally hand Baynes the MLE (8-9M) and hope we keep Smart at around 9-10M/Year.

Then sign one of Okafor/Noel on the minimum, with preference on Noel who is also a Massachusetts native!  ;D
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2018, 10:06:10 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
I think the only significant piece left for this team is to get a top big in the draft and start their development. Spending the Sac pick along with Rozier is fine with me. I'm not sure what the point would be of bringing in a top prospect at another position, unless we also shed some players we have now. We would still would have some quality draft picks in the next few years to fill in any role positions. This is an unusually good best big man draft and next year isn't. I hope the C's go for it.

Bamba, Jackson or Carter would all be great additions. Carter is by far the most suited to eventually filling Al Horford's shoes, although perhaps when Jaylen and Jason are in their prime, we won't need that so much. Bamba and Jackson could be defensive monsters.

That's a high price to pay for Carter.  Don't think he is worth that much.  I have my misgivings with the other two as well. What are your thoughts on Robinson?

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2018, 10:08:58 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

I'd personally hand Baynes the MLE (8-9M) and hope we keep Smart at around 9-10M/Year.

Then sign one of Okafor/Noel on the minimum, with preference on Noel who is also a Massachusetts native!  ;D

I agree re Baynes. We wouldn't get past Philly in 5 games without him. He has earned a lot of value for Celtics in these playoffs.

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2018, 11:07:31 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Who might have an interest in Rozier?

Magic at 5? Maybe. They liked him last year. The problem is value. They might like him, but not enough to give up the 5th pick. A Rozier-Fournier-Gordon-Isaac core is athletic, switchy, and pretty good shooters.

Bulls at 6? Maybe, but doubtful. They already have Dunn and Lavine in the backcourt. It seems more likely they would take one of the bigs available to continue to build.

Kings at 7? Maybe, but doubtful. They have Fox and Hield. Rozier is probably better than both of those guys and can play with both of them. At this point, the Kings could use a proven up-and-coming talent with competitiveness and heart.

Cavs at 8? Doubtful. Can you imagine the spectacle if the Cavs wind up with essential Rozier for Irving?

Knicks at 9? Possibly, but I doubt Bamba will still be available. Rozier in the garden would be great for him. He'd be appreciated there.

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2018, 11:10:51 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Magic at 5? Maybe. They liked him last year. The problem is value. They might like him, but not enough to give up the 5th pick. A Rozier-Fournier-Gordon-Isaac core is athletic, switchy, and pretty good shooters.

Bulls at 6? Maybe, but doubtful. They already have Dunn and Lavine in the backcourt. It seems more likely they would take one of the bigs available to continue to build.

Kings at 7? Maybe, but doubtful. They have Fox and Hield. Rozier is probably better than both of those guys and can play with both of them. At this point, the Kings could use a proven up-and-coming talent with competitiveness and heart.

Cavs at 8? Doubtful. Can you imagine the spectacle if the Cavs wind up with essential Rozier for Irving?

Knicks at 9? Possibly, but I doubt Bamba will still be available. Rozier in the garden would be great for him. He'd be appreciated there.

If we package some picks+ Rozier, Yabusele, and someone else, do you think Magic would bite?
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2018, 11:30:45 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

If we package some picks+ Rozier, Yabusele, and someone else, do you think Magic would bite?

I get the idea of selling high on Rozier. I'd rather keep him, but he might appreciate the opportunity to start. I probably wouldn't give up Yabusele (like him too much), but I might give up the Cs 2018 1st and the Memphis pick.

On their side, it depends on how much they like Rozier. They liked him enough to offer Ibaka, whom they got for Sabonis, Illyasova, and Oladipo -- although that trade was lopsided, that gives an idea that they value him pretty highly. If they thought that in an uptempo spread offense with a high usage rate, Rozier could be a 20 and 5 guy, then he'd be worth the 5th pick.

There's another aspect also -- culture shifts. Rozier's energy, competitiveness, and light-heartedness could be a catalyst to change an organizations culture, especially if they get the right coach (Laranaga?).

They might look at their options at 5 and be unimpressed. Porter has question marks about his back, ball-handling, and quickness. Young might not be better than Rozier. Bamba is raw and might never develop without a firm system and culture in place.

They could hold on to the pick until draft night to see if one of the top 4 drops, but when that doesn't happen, they might rather have a 23 year old two-way point guard who played like an NBA starter in the playoffs and is on a team-controlled contract for the next 5-6 years.

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2018, 11:34:17 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

If Bamba was available at 8, I think I would do Terry plus the Sacramento pick to Cleveland for Bamba, and I think Cleveland would strongly consider that offer, as I expect them to be shopping that pick for an upgrade right now. I think that's a win-win for both sides.

For Cleveland, I think they'll likely be shopping that pick for a star to pair with Lebron to convince him to stay in Cleveland, which seems to be more realistic now than prior to the playoffs; however, I don't think they get any current star or budding star with the number eight pick. But an offer of Rozier and the Sacramento pick would still be a good get for them, as Rozier is young enough to be a core piece moving forward (with or without Lebron) while also able to help them out next year. He's also from the Cleveland area, so he's likely to stay there long-term. A lineup of Rozier, Hill, Lebron, Love, and TT moving forward is really nice for them, and they'd still get to keep a higher-potential pick for next year's draft, though it doesn't seem to be nearly as deep or talented.

For Boston, someone like Bamba would be the absolute perfect fit in our young core moving forward, as we lack a young, defensive-minded big that can be plugged in alongside Kyrie, Brown, Hayward, and Tatum eventually. He would also have an excellent mentor readily available in Horford, and we'd have the luxury right now of bringing him along slowly off the bench and allowing him to develop into what we need. It also probably means keeping Smart long-term, which I think is crucial to our continued success. And while it would mean losing the Sacramento pick, that draft looks really weak as it is right now, and there is a substantial lack of bigs to choose from in that draft, which is what we really need. I'd rather pay for Bamba now than risk taking something lesser in a lesser position of need next year.

If Bamba falls to 9 I could also see a deal going down centering around Rozier and one of our lesser picks to NY.

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2018, 11:41:48 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
I don't know if I like Bamba, or like the idea of trading Rozier neccesarily. But we need to make moves so make Al's decision legitimized. We need to be a serious contender next year. I think that probably happens by finding a Clint Capela, Jusuf Nurkic, or dare I say it... Steven Adams.

Actually yeah, Adams for Rozier + Sac pick? Is that completely crazy?

Maybe even some package for Cauley-Stein or Whiteside or gulp, Brook Lopez.

I would probably even settle for Cody Zeller or Willy Hernangomez
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.