Author Topic: 2018 Celtics Draft Player Workouts  (Read 34002 times)

Re: 2018 Celtics Draft Player Workouts
« Reply #90 on: June 14, 2018, 06:20:12 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
updated 5/19

Omari Spellman seems like a real possibility at #27. The Cs have been trying to develop a back up who can play a similar role as Al. First it was Mickey who had potential on D but never developed on the perimeter and didn't seem strong enough. Now its Yabu who has a chance but needs to show that he can be consistent on D.

Spellman is an interesting fit. He already played the role at Villinova and is already a very good 3pt shooter.

His measurements are similar to Al's

Spellman
6'8 W/O shoes 253lbs and a 7'2 wingspan with 13.75% BF

Horford
6'8 W/O shoes 246lbs and a 7'.075" wingspan @ 9% BF

If Spellman can continue to trim down and plays in the 240s he might add enough lateral quickness to excel in Al's role down the road.

I also have to point out that DiVincenzo could be an interesting pick
Really like the way Spellman played in the tourney - good shooter from 3 too. Wouldn't be a bad pick.
I thought Horford is 6'10?

He's been listed at 6'10, but I believe he's honestly and realistically 6'9. NBA drafts had him at 6'8 without shoes. Which is a terrible analysis to make, because when do NBA players ever play barefoot?

His standing reach is 8'11, but he has one step vertical of 35.5.
I see , thank you

It's the same argument that people have been making of Kevin Love.

People have argued that Love is maybe 6'6 or 6'7. So with shoes, he would be about 6'8.5.

Love is maybe 3-4 inches taller max than Rondo in the picture.

JJ Barrea has also been criticized for being '6 feet tall,' when he's always been known as 5'8 or 5'9.

Isaiah has also said, he's a 'little guy.'

In discussing the fans’ relationships with Celtics players, Thomas — one of a handful of NBA All-Stars in history under 6 feet — admits he’s even shorter than his listing lets on:

I’m a little guy — I’m only five-foot-eight — so unless you’re a huge basketball fan, you’re probably not going to recognize me around town. I’m not like Jared Sullinger ducking into the doorway of a restaurant. I blend in.

My thinking is that the NBA doesn't want people to think really short players can somehow make it into the NBA, lol.

They seem to go overboard giving players like CP3, 6 feet tall, when he has admitted that he's also 5'10.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #91 on: June 14, 2018, 06:22:54 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
update,

noticed that Hamidou Diallo worked out for the Cs last year before going back to school.

I know from articles and threads in the past that DA is very familiar with this kid.

I have never been a big Diallo fan but I could see DA taking a shot on him in the late first. He was the rank 11th in his class by ESPN and twice participated in the FIBA U18. This is a good indicator of the level of pure talent he possess.
Diallo reminds me of a Kent Bazemore type of player..im a UK fan and watch him..he no doubt has the talent..if they draft him, i would send him to Maine all season

Diallo, Bonga, or Spellman, I'm okay with.

Anyone else... I'm going to need Vegeta to give me the scouting report.

"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #92 on: June 14, 2018, 07:19:18 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
updated 5/19

Omari Spellman seems like a real possibility at #27. The Cs have been trying to develop a back up who can play a similar role as Al. First it was Mickey who had potential on D but never developed on the perimeter and didn't seem strong enough. Now its Yabu who has a chance but needs to show that he can be consistent on D.

Spellman is an interesting fit. He already played the role at Villinova and is already a very good 3pt shooter.

Spellman

Horford

If Spellman can continue to trim down and plays in the 240s he might add enough lateral quickness to excel in Al's role down the road.

Really like the way Spellman played in the tourney - good shooter from 3 too. Wouldn't be a bad pick.

He was 6’8 without shoes with shoes he measured 8’9.75”. Most players get around 1.5” from shoes. Teams usually seem to take the combine measure and round up for roster listings.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #93 on: June 14, 2018, 08:16:43 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Love is maybe 3-4 inches taller max than Rondo in the picture.

Really, it is more than that, I would say five inches at the least and I am six eight and half in shoes  so I know something about height and looking down on folks.

« Reply #94 on: June 15, 2018, 09:40:52 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
update,

noticed that Hamidou Diallo worked out for the Cs last year before going back to school.

I know from articles and threads in the past that DA is very familiar with this kid.

I have never been a big Diallo fan but I could see DA taking a shot on him in the late first. He was the rank 11th in his class by ESPN and twice participated in the FIBA U18. This is a good indicator of the level of pure talent he possess.
Diallo reminds me of a Kent Bazemore type of player..im a UK fan and watch him..he no doubt has the talent..if they draft him, i would send him to Maine all season

Diallo, Bonga, or Spellman, I'm okay with.

Anyone else... I'm going to need Vegeta to give me the scouting report.

Anyone else?  I know your post is partly in jest, but at #27 it seems like there are definitely some other people to consider, especially at guard considering the depth there and the current soon to be RFA/UFA statuses of Smart and Rozier in the next 1-2 years. 
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #95 on: June 15, 2018, 09:54:29 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
updated 5/19

Spellman

Horford

He was 6’8 without shoes with shoes he measured 8’9.75”. Most players get around 1.5” from shoes. Teams usually seem to take the combine measure and round up for roster listings.

Those are some tall shoes.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #96 on: June 15, 2018, 11:18:23 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
update 6/15

added another potential 1st round pick Jalen Brunson
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #97 on: June 15, 2018, 11:48:05 AM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
is alkins going to be there at 27?   if he is we should draft him.   he can play in the nba. 

« Reply #98 on: June 17, 2018, 10:58:00 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
This got posted in the draft workouts thread that was stickied from 2016.  Relatedly, we might want to unsticky that thread and sticky this one.  (Also, I’ve never typed the verb form of “sticky” so many times).

As draft week commences, former Cincinnati star Jacob Evans will have workouts with The Boston Celtics and Golden State Warriors, League sources tell The Salt Lake Tribune. For Evans, it will be his second workout for both franchises.

« Reply #99 on: June 18, 2018, 01:58:31 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
is alkins going to be there at 27?   if he is we should draft him.   he can play in the nba.

Hope so :).

« Reply #100 on: June 18, 2018, 10:06:58 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
update 6/18

added Jacob Evans who is reportedly coming in for his second workout with the Cs.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #101 on: June 18, 2018, 03:16:24 PM »

Online Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
Bruce Brown coming back for a second workout

https://twitter.com/keithsmithnba/status/1008788021771145218?s=21

« Reply #102 on: June 18, 2018, 03:25:56 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 627
  • MASTER OF PANIC

Gross. Kid has little to no offensive game at all. Would be a CYA pick in case Smart is not resigned. Really hope they do not go this direction.

« Reply #103 on: June 18, 2018, 11:58:24 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Gross. Kid has little to no offensive game at all. Would be a CYA pick in case Smart is not resigned. Really hope they do not go this direction.

Don't forget the Laranega connection. Jay has inside information on this kid from dad for a couple of years now. For us to give him a second workout means he's checking a lot of boxes.

« Reply #104 on: June 19, 2018, 10:38:50 AM »

Online Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286