Who is better, Westbrook or Irving?

Westbrook
4 (16.7%)
Kyrie
18 (75%)
Neither, Scary Terry is better
2 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: Who is better, Westbrook or Irving?  (Read 2856 times)

Who is better, Westbrook or Irving?
« on: May 08, 2018, 12:12:13 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
My friend is convinced that Westbrook is still the better PG. So what do you guys think?

I think even though statistically Westbrook is the better player, I would still take Kyrie as my PG. I believe his ability to finish, make impossible moves, and just be able to use his penetration to create space is something that could last him for a while, given the longevity of his knees.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Re: Who is better, Westbrook or Irving?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 12:21:25 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Westbrook is a more impressive singular talent but Kyrie has a couple of elite skills that are easier to build around in the modern NBA.  Westbrook only knows how to play one way.  If I was starting a team from scratch I would choose Kyrie every time.  Westbrooks' poor shooting and recklessness limit his ability to win.   

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 12:22:36 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
Westbrook is a more impressive singular talent but Kyrie has a couple of elite skills that are easier to build around in the modern NBA.  Westbrook only knows how to play one way.  If I was starting a team from scratch I would choose Kyrie every time.  Westbrooks' poor shooting and recklessness limit his ability to win.

Interesting, do you believe that Westbrook is coach-able, or do you think someone like Stevens wouldn't be able to control him?

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 12:24:46 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Irving if your team has serious championship aspirations

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 12:29:06 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Kyrie and it isn't close.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 12:35:30 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Westbrook.  He is a much better defender, better rebounding, and better passer.  Obviously Kyrie is a magician with the ball in his hand and is a better shooter, but that isn't enough to surpass Westbrook's other advantages, and I didn't even mention the physical advantages Westbrook has (i.e. he is the only player in the league that can challenge Lebron athletically, is more durable, etc.). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 12:40:06 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I'd take Kyrie.  Kyrie is more efficient scorer, Westbrook better defender. His rebounding and assist numbers are obviously better also, but also somewhat inflated.

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2018, 12:41:44 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
Westbrook.  He is a much better defender, better rebounding, and better passer.  Obviously Kyrie is a magician with the ball in his hand and is a better shooter, but that isn't enough to surpass Westbrook's other advantages, and I didn't even mention the physical advantages Westbrook has (i.e. he is the only player in the league that can challenge Lebron athletically, is more durable, etc.).

Have you ever watched Westbrook play defense this year or you just going by stats?..

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2018, 12:43:47 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Westbrook has the better gifts but Irving has shown to be the better team player.

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2018, 12:55:00 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
My friend is convinced that Westbrook is still the better PG. So what do you guys think?

I think even though statistically Westbrook is the better player, I would still take Kyrie as my PG. I believe his ability to finish, make impossible moves, and just be able to use his penetration to create space is something that could last him for a while, given the longevity of his knees.

Right - he's 3 years younger than Westbrook, for one thing, and I think his game translates well to longevity and long-term effectiveness. He's a below the rim player with incredible handle and shooting prowess. His court vision has already improved over the course of his young career and I think will continue to. His attitude is miles better than Westbrook's, IMO.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2018, 12:55:31 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Have you ever watched Westbrook play defense this year or you just going by stats?..
I've watched them both (obviously Irving more) and Westbrook is a much better defender.  I mean even when Irving tries (which is rare) he is at his best still a poor defender.  Westbrook is not a great defender by any stretch of the imagination, but he is much better than Irving.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2018, 01:03:11 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Westbrook is obviously more athletic, faster in the open court, and better rebounder. However, I would take Irving. Kyrie is the superior shooter, dribbler, quicker off the dribble, can play without the ball, and has shown great leadership qualities.

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2018, 01:14:50 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Westbrook overall is marginally better than Irving.

That said, he is very inefficient IMHO. Sure, his FG % and all that are pretty solid, but the fact that he seems to jack up 30-40 shots to get 35-45 points is surprising honestly.

I do think when Westbrook is more engaged though, his defense is pretty good.

Remember, as inefficient as the guy is and even if you believe you can't win a championship with him, he did average a triple double two years in a row. That is impressive.

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2018, 01:18:58 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I have the same opinion I had prior to acquiring kyrie. 

I take Kyrie over the highly overrated star-padding Westbrook. 

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2018, 01:28:41 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Westbrook has the better gifts but Irving has shown to be the better team player.
One could even argue that Kyrie's gifts of ball handling and shooting touch are better gifts to have than Westbrook's athleticism and motor.  And one step further, Kyrie's mentality lets him play with others much better than Westbrook's mentality allows him to.