Author Topic: A Theory on Why I Struggle To Enjoy Watching LeBron  (Read 7289 times)

Re: A Theory on Why I Struggle To Enjoy Watching LeBron
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2018, 02:08:18 AM »

Offline vl819

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 19
I struggle to appreciate lebron game is because I think he has been on a steady supply of hgh since early in his career. And the nba knows this but turns a blind eye due to his star ammasing revenue

I am surprised how often I see this. I guess More people think this than I thought. The main thing that ever raised my eye brow was the growth on his jaw. That was... weird
Weird is putting it lightly.

Acromegaly, a common side effect of long term HGH use. Especially when u consider the fact that he has never had ANY minor-lagging injuries that most players have to deal with after playing as many minutes that he has his entire career. Basketball players use PEDs too. And when league continues to generate billions from his stardom, why would they intervene?  NBA is a business

« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2018, 05:55:42 AM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62
Every detail counts in the GOAT debate
[/quote]

some more data

Every detail counts in the GOAT department

Jordan' Bulls

Number of All Stars

1991 Bulls  1 , Playoff opponents  76ers 2, Pistons 2, Lakers 2
1992 Bulls  2,  Playoff opponents  Cavs 2
1993 Bulls  2,  Playoff opponents  Cavs 3
1996 Bulls  2 , Playoff opponents  Magic 2, Sonics 2
1997 Bulls  2 , Playoff opponents  Hawks 2, Heat 2, Jazz 2
1998 Bulls  1 , Playoff opponents  Nets 1,Hornets 1, Pacers 2,Jazz 1

James Teams

Number of All Stars

2012 Heat  3 , Playoff opponents  Knicks 1, Pacers 1, Celtics 2, Thunder 2
2013 Heat  3 , Playoff opponents Bucks  0 , Bulls 2, Pacers 1 , Spurs 2
2016 Cavs  1 , Playoff opponents Pistons 1 , hawks 2, Raptors 2 , Warriors 3.

So Jordan had to face off against at least one squad with more all stars in their lineups his first, third titles and his 6th title and equal all stars his 2nd ,4th and 5th titles.

James Heat Team never had to face off against an equal number of all star players in their 2 titles. A little bit embarrassing that they had to go 7 games against the Pacers in 2013 3 All Stars to 1.

The only time he got the job done was 2016.

James has the most turnovers in playoff history and most missed 3's in playoff history to boot.

More fun facts

To be clear and for the record this is what you can do to prove a point without using context and cherry pick data that is 100% correct.The posters who continually do this drag the overall quality of this forum down , whether it is deliberate or not , they really should stop for the good of this great forum.

Cheers.

I apologize to the OP for going off the theme of this thread.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 07:00:39 AM by GC003332 »

« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2018, 06:30:39 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

TP for those stats!  I'm assuming you were referring to me in regard to cherry picking data.  If so, I was merely using the 6-0 Finals record and clutch moments as a reflection of Jordan's absolute apex in comparison to LeBron.  It's not the only reasoning as to why I favor Jordan.  We could easily flip this argument on its head and find data to support James. 

At the end of the day the entire debate is subjective.  Some people will place more value on the sustained dominance of LeBron as the games best player.  In terms of accomplishments and longevity it would be fair to argue that Kareem is the GOAT.  Anyways, thank you for taking the time to post that.   

« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2018, 06:33:22 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
That's funny bcs the reason I'm OK with Lebron is he's never been as dominant as Jordan in the finals.

I bandwagoned Utah in the 90s playoffs, these two finals were beyond frustrating.

Regarding character, I think there is really an issue there, and LBJ's stardom is hardly an excuse. I can't imagine another star doing what LBJ did to Blatt. But if he wants to weaken his own team, he's more than welcome.

« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2018, 06:35:06 AM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62

TP for those stats!  I'm assuming you were referring to me in regard to cherry picking data.  If so, I was merely using the 6-0 Finals record and clutch moments as a reflection of Jordan's absolute apex in comparison to LeBron.  It's not the only reasoning as to why I favor Jordan.  We could easily flip this argument on its head and find data to support James. 

At the end of the day the entire debate is subjective.  In terms of accomplishments and longevity it would be fair to argue that Kareem is the GOAT.  Anyways, thank you for taking the time to post that.
[/quote]

No i wasn't referring to you as cherry picking data, sorry i wasn't clear on that.
Just getting some thoughts of my chest in general.

Cheers

« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2018, 06:49:58 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I don't like him because he is not a Celtic and I live in Ohio and have to hear all the nonsense all the time about him being the GOAT.   I think he is most productive player of all time.    His win loss records in the finals to me, makes him not the greatest ever.   Still a great player, though.

I am hoping he switches teams because I will love it when people gnash their teeth and pull out their hair.   

« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2018, 09:36:50 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Mostly because of The Decision, he'll always be LeBUM to me.

« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2018, 09:43:33 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
I can't tolerate watching this beta whiner play. Don't plan on watching any game of his that doesn't involve the Celtics.

« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2018, 11:00:32 AM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I can't tolerate watching this beta whiner play. Don't plan on watching any game of his that doesn't involve the Celtics.

I'm proud to say that I didn't watch one single second of the Finals last year. Not gonna waste my time watching the King of Whining or the Ringchaser and Jerky Draymond.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2018, 12:05:24 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

some more data

Jordan' Bulls

Number of All Stars

James Teams

Number of All Stars

So Jordan had to face off against at least one squad with more all stars in their lineups his first, third titles and his 6th title and equal all stars his 2nd ,4th and 5th titles.

James Heat Team never had to face off against an equal number of all star players in their 2 titles. A little bit embarrassing that they had to go 7 games against the Pacers in 2013 3 All Stars to 1.

James has the most turnovers in playoff history and most missed 3's in playoff history to boot.

More fun facts

To be clear and for the record this is what you can do to prove a point without using context and cherry pick data that is 100% correct.The posters who continually do this drag the overall quality of this forum down , whether it is deliberate or not , they really should stop for the good of this great forum.

Cheers.

[/quote]

Wow this really puts the super team era in perspective. First few rounds of playoffs are so watered down now. Thank you for putting this together

« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2018, 03:47:00 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

I'm proud to say that I didn't watch one single second of the Finals last year. Not gonna waste my time watching the King of Whining or the Ringchaser and Jerky Draymond.

Will ratings go down if that is matchup again this year? I'm pretty diehard fan and even I would be a bit bored with it

« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2018, 03:57:41 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
So basically what you're saying is you don't like him because he's good.  I mean, that happens to pretty much all great players.

Yeah, that's a totally nuanced reading of what I said.

But seriously, I loved Tim Duncan, who was also great.  The Warriors are great, and win everything, but I like them too.  I guess they just don't seem to break all the rules of what seems like it should matter when it comes to what constitutes "good basketball." 

Anyway, I didn't intend this post as a criticism of LeBron or his game.  Just a reflection on the fan experience, I guess.
I went back and re-read and it seems to me, that's pretty much exactly what you said.  Basically whoever has Lebron wins, and you even compared him to Jordan because it must have been the same feeling.  I suppose you like Duncan because he wasn't quite and good.  And the Warriors, well, they're in the way of the guy you don't want...lebron.

« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2018, 04:03:37 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Will ratings go down if that is matchup again this year? I'm pretty diehard fan and even I would be a bit bored with it

I'd expect lower ratings. I certainly wouldn't be interested.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2018, 04:11:09 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

some more data

Jordan' Bulls

Number of All Stars

James Teams

Number of All Stars

More fun facts

Cheers.

Wow this really puts the super team era in perspective. First few rounds of playoffs are so watered down now. Thank you for putting this together
[/quote]Of course that isn't exactly accurate.  The Knicks for example had Ewing who was an all star all of those Bulls title seasons and the Knicks played the Bulls every single year of the first three-peat.  Clyde was an all star for Portland.  he isn't on that list either.  The Suns had both Charles and Majerle as all stars in 93.  They aren't on his list.  Dominique was an all star for the Hawks, not on the list. 

and I'm certainly not sure how you reached your conclusion that today is the watered down time.  His numbers, even with the missing ones, in fact show just how weak Jordan's competition was throughout his runs. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2018, 04:18:14 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
So basically what you're saying is you don't like him because he's good.  I mean, that happens to pretty much all great players.

Yeah, that's a totally nuanced reading of what I said.

But seriously, I loved Tim Duncan, who was also great.  The Warriors are great, and win everything, but I like them too.  I guess they just don't seem to break all the rules of what seems like it should matter when it comes to what constitutes "good basketball." 

Anyway, I didn't intend this post as a criticism of LeBron or his game.  Just a reflection on the fan experience, I guess.
I went back and re-read and it seems to me, that's pretty much exactly what you said.  Basically whoever has Lebron wins, and you even compared him to Jordan because it must have been the same feeling.  I suppose you like Duncan because he wasn't quite and good.  And the Warriors, well, they're in the way of the guy you don't want...lebron.

I suppose you weren't much for reading comprehension on the 'ol SAT then, eh?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain