Author Topic: W. Carter's mom: free Duke education is the equivalent of African slavery  (Read 24062 times)

Offline Banner18now!

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
We can agree it's not as bad as slavery.

We can also acknowledge that a hugely wealthy entity, predominantly owned and operated by white men, forcing persons -- largely of color -- whose services have significant quantifiable monetary value to exchange those services for something other than money is ... not the greatest optically speaking.

And I think we can agree that, with the backdrop of slavery as a major part of our nation's history, the argument that "But we're providing them room and board and an education" is not super duper persuasive in response to the accusation that there's a collusive effort by the powerful to extract the valuable efforts of the not-powerful without monetary compensation.

1. the NCAA is not "owned and operated by white people." even if it were, That doesn't mean it is a racist organization and it doesn't validate some ridiculous slavery analogy... Especially when one includes the Irish slave trade where white Irish men were brought to America for slavery

2.   overwhelming majority of the $1.06 billion of annual revenue was  distributed back to member organizations and institutions across the United States in support of their nearly half-million student athlete. The organization doesn't exist to make money for itself. Its a non profit organization

The white devil is at it again.

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
We can agree it's not as bad as slavery.

We can also acknowledge that a hugely wealthy entity, predominantly owned and operated by white men, forcing persons -- largely of color -- whose services have significant quantifiable monetary value to exchange those services for something other than money is ... not the greatest optically speaking.

And I think we can agree that, with the backdrop of slavery as a major part of our nation's history, the argument that "But we're providing them room and board and an education" is not super duper persuasive in response to the accusation that there's a collusive effort by the powerful to extract the valuable efforts of the not-powerful without monetary compensation.

TP

These athletes have extremely rare and valuable skills. Their work earns universities millions, and a small fraction comes back to them. If you had NBA  lottery talent, I think you would laugh to be told you are lucky to get free room and board. Carter is going to sign a four year deal worth a few million per year - money he might have started earning this year. Instead he earned cash for alma mater and they threw him some loose change.

This year there was a highly rated high school player, who  is going to play year of professional ball in Australia instead of college. Good for him. I hope there are more.

As for these kids getting an education, some get something out of it, others don’t. Some programs care if they go to class, some don’t, but they pretty much all expect the players to perform for what they were given: play in pain, spend as much time as possible on the game. There’s nothing holy going on here. And there is nothing remotely like the spirit of amateurism when it comes to college coaches were administrators – who are paid in the millions of dollars. Where is their school spirit?

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Why are these random people interviewed?  Is there any one outside of immediate family that cares what Wendell Carter's (never seen him play) mom thinks about the NCAA and slavery?

TP...who gave her this platform?

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
The organization doesn't exist to make money for itself. Its a non profit organization

Just like private colleges are non-profit. 

Please imagine me saying "non-profit" with as much sarcasm as possible.

I'm sure the administrators, coaches, and trustees of these non-profit institutions spend a great deal of time in reflection on their lives of service to non-profit education every time they look at the multi-million dollar balance in their bank accounts.

lol TP

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
No one is forcing anyone to do anything. This is nonsense.

If you want to play basketball in the NCAA, which generates billions in revenue every year, you have to play for free.
And if you want to be a certified professional accountant.....

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
To understand a big reason why we have our current President, read the OP. Policy wise, I disagree with Trump almost across the board, but if the line is drawn in the sand, I will stand firmly on the side opposing political correctness and SJW nonsense of emotional sensationalism. This woman literally makes me sick.
The only color that matters is GREEN

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I think there is a lot of agreement here about the mother's comments being over the top.  She offers an untenable comparison of her son's situation to slavery.  Most level-headed people would not accept the comparison.  It is annoying to hear blame on "liberals" (or blaming "black America") for the comments of a single individual who none of us know and who (like all of us) is probably more complex a person than could be discerned from one poorly thought through statement.

She is hardly the only person in America who has questioned equity with regard to "compensation" (i.e., tuition and related perks) provided to student-athletes.  While slavery is a disgraceful comparison to her son's situation, equity is something that liberals, moderates and conservatives argue for in many iterations every day in this country.  There is absolutely nothing unamerican or unethical in questioning equity. Truthfully I don't know the answer with regard to whether tuition, room, board and other perks is equitable given the dollars that student-athletes generate for universities.  I am definitely open to listening to both sides and hope that other are able to make their cases without devolving into reckless comparisons or castigating political ideologies.

It would be great if stupid comments were not presumed to reflect an entire ideology as is painted here by some (calling out liberals).  The major political ideologies in America all have respectable premises and values as the basis from which their political views grow.  Much better to listen to one another respectfully and seek to understand than to marginalize and dismiss.  Liberals have not ruined this country... nor have conseratives.  This country has been incredibly successful (generally speaking)  by incorporating and balancing a multitude of perspectives and by coming together whenever we've needed to.  It's actually finding balance throughout the waxing and waning of the world's changing tides  that keeps America "great" -- and attaining that balance in tough times is what we need great leaders for. 

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I was so jealous of the athletes when I went to college. They get everything for free and very nice things. They had free tutoring, their own computer  lab, their own free cafeteria,  They were FIRST in line to get textbooks at the university bookstore. Literally normal students were not allowed to buy textbooks until after athletes got there's. Then the books would be open to general population students, and of course many popular textbooks would be sold out and we'd   have to overpay somewhere else to get the books. The athletes get hundreds of dollars worth of free Nike premium athletic shoes, clothing and backpacks. They get free room and board as mentioned. Other schools are crazier.... Alabama has a barbershop at the football practice facility for the players free haircuts. This isn't talking under the table money that we all know 5 star athletes get. And of course the free education is priceless

The list of privileges And benefits for being an athlete  is very very long and worth thousands of dollars

Its blasphemous to compare slavery to free attendance to an elite school

Yeah, like they actually used those textbooks lmfa0 ::) ;D.

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
No one is forcing anyone to do anything. This is nonsense.

If you want to play basketball in the NCAA, which generates billions in revenue every year, you have to play for free.
how is receiving a  $50,000/yr scholarship considered playing for  "free?"

Yes the money has to go towards tuition because they're students. If they wanted to go professional, have your debate with the NBA which has an age limit.

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
She has a right to her opinion, but, the use of the term "slavery" is odd.

NCAA athletes are clearly exploited.

The Northwestern football team attempted to achieve certification as a union in 2015/16 and failed. There is far more to the debate than Mrs. Carter's son playing for Duke for free. The NCAA, to my knowledge, does not keep their TV money and use it to enrich their executives or whomever. The organization has a mission to support all student athletes not just ones that play sports on national TV.

The money the linebacker generates with exciting tackles on CBS sports goes to the swim team and the ladies tennis team and the...and the...etc. None of these sports make a dime, but each student athletes deserves the opportunity to participate as part of their education.

I think the Jesuit brotherhood ended University of San Francisco's D1 affiliation over just this issue (Not long after Russell graduated). The NCAA requirements were just too high (required too much money).

It certainly is a system and it is held in place by billions in ad money from TV networks. It is loaded with corruption and payoffs simply because there is tremendous financial reward. So many college's engage in financial support of their top athletes it basically is a "salary to play football". I'm shocked Carter didn't get any cash. The volley ball team didn't sure as hell didn't get any cash, but, part of the court they play in may have been built with TV money.

Those football kids get beat up pretty bad on the field. You blow a knee in the Sugar Bowl and no NFL cash is coming your way.

Anyway, I worked in management for a corporation for years....the wages were slave level, but, I could've walked away whenever I wanted.

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
She's trying to illustrate that NCAA players are exploited - which I get. But comparing that to one of the worst atrocities in American history is tateless and clearly shows a lack of intelligence and stability.

I agree with Roy - comparisons to things like slavery and nazi Germany are way too common place in today's era, and it's embarrassing to our nations empathy and overall grasp on history.

Offline CelticSince83

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Interesting times when the best option for 99% of these kids is to volunteer themselves into "slavery."  Meanwhile their peers are paying 40-70k a year and in many instances working at unpaid internships or externships (for companies that generate revenues in excess of the NCAA). 

Not surprising comments from a woman who seems to inject race into the conversation whenever possible. 

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
Interesting times when the best option for 99% of these kids is to volunteer themselves into "slavery."  Meanwhile their peers are paying 40-70k a year and in many instances working at unpaid internships or externships (for companies that generate revenues in excess of the NCAA). 

Not surprising comments from a woman who seems to inject race into the conversation whenever possible.

TP. THIS.

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

What are you basing this on?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Just stop, people.  Comparisons to Nazi Germany and slavery are way too common, and make people sound stupid.

Here's Wendall Carter's mom, complaining about a free ride to a top-10ish university:

"When you remove all the bling and the bells and the sneakers and all that," she said, "you've paid for a child to come to your school to do what you wanted them to do for you, for free, and you made a lot of money when he did that, and you've got all these rules in place that say he cannot share in any of that. The only other time when labor does not get paid but yet someone else gets profits and the labor is black and the profit is white, is in slavery.

"To be honest with you," she said, "it's nauseating."

Free education, room and board, at a place that you choose, setting you up to become a millionaire.  That sounds exactly like being ripped from your home, put into chains and subjected to forced labor, rape, and beatings with literally no individual freedoms.

This is about the NCAA and your title is misleading.