Author Topic: Deandre Ayton Comparison(s)  (Read 4803 times)

Deandre Ayton Comparison(s)
« on: May 07, 2018, 12:59:35 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Hi, everyone :). As I have barely seen any college basketball this year, I thought that I'd ask da blog as to whom you believe dis dude compares.

Admittedly, I've only seen a few highlight videos of this guy, but the most popular names that seem to be invoked whenever he's discussed as it pertains to his potential in the NBA are Patrick Chewing, The Dream, and The Admiral, whereas, and again, I don't know much about him, to me he kind of looks like a worse defensive version of Greg Oden with knees, as well as a face-up jumper and whispers of a three pointer, of which I am not in favor, btw, but what say you, CelticsBlog? ;D

Unrelated: Idk anything about Mo Bamba, either, other than, you know, Mo Bamba, Mo Problems, and purely in terms of his face, Ayton looks like the lovechild of Joe Dumars and Greg Oden ;D.

Apologies if a similar thread has already been created, btw.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 01:09:02 AM by Beat LA »

Re: Deandre Ayton Comparison(s)
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 01:47:25 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

How about this comp athletically. Wilt Chamberlain. If the video I saw was real and he does have a 44" vertical or even if it's just 40" there is no one else to compare him too.

He runs like a deer and jumps like a cat. He's strong can shoot can move very well laterally. Should be able to switch well. Has solid range already 34% from three.

Huge defensive presence. Two way stud potential. He will be a top 5 big in the NBA if healthy.

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 01:57:37 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

How about this comp athletically. Wilt Chamberlain. If the video I saw was real and he does have a 44" vertical or even if it's just 40" there is no one else to compare him too.

He runs like a deer and jumps like a cat. He's strong can shoot can move very well laterally. Should be able to switch well. Has solid range already 34% from three.

Huge defensive presence. Two way stud potential. He will be a top 5 big in the NBA if healthy.

Wilt would blow him out of the water as an athlete, dude was an Olympic athlete and could touch the top of the backboard. Way faster and stronger as well. My comp for Ayton is probably a modern Patrick Starfish.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 02:09:54 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Wilt would blow him out of the water as an athlete, dude was an Olympic athlete and could touch the top of the backboard. Way faster and stronger as well. My comp for Ayton is probably a modern Patrick Starfish.

He's the only 7 footer you can compare with Ayton athletically. 44" vertical is  almost the  combine record. It's actually 46"

If he jumps even 40" at the combine. We have never seen that recently from any 7 footer. David Robinson could jump, but not that high.

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 02:33:18 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Confession time.

have you ever actually seen him play?

He's a miserable defender. He's convinced himself he's a 4 and can't stay in front of guys on the perimeter. He plays lazy on defense and has horrible defensive instincts. He blocked a pathetic number of shots given his physical profile and hurt Arizona on defense all year, none more evident than when Buffalo built their offensive gameplan around attacking Ayton in their upset win in the NCAA tourney.

He's so so far from a good defensive player right now.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 02:45:13 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
He really could be anything with the right mindset and coaching.

Obviously he’s not a Wilt level athlete, but nobody really is. He could be a bigger Amare maybe
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 02:52:31 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Confession time.

He's a miserable defender. He's convinced himself he's a 4 and can't stay in front of guys on the perimeter. He plays lazy on defense and has horrible defensive instincts. He blocked a pathetic number of shots given his physical profile and hurt Arizona on defense all year, none more evident than when Buffalo built their offensive gameplan around attacking Ayton in their upset win in the NCAA tourney.

In fairness, I believe that he mostly played at the 4, this year, although I'm just going off of a recently read article, so there's that ;D, but I agree about his blocking numbers being shockingly poor. At the beginning of the season his stats in that department were even worse, iirc, and I was like huh? A guy with his physical tools should be swatting way more shots, imo, so yeah, that jumped out to me, as well, not to mention news about a questionable motor.

I mean, it would be one thing if the guy was only playing, like, 25-28 minutes a game owing to foul trouble or whatever, but the fact that he only averaged 1.9 bpg and 0.6 spg in 33.5 mpg over 35 contests is pretty alarming, to say the least, imo.

https://www.theringer.com/march-madness/2018/3/16/17129698/deandre-ayton-buffalo-defense-ncaa-tournament

Edit: Just as I thought - not good.

Here’s the problem. A guy with Ayton’s incredible physical tools should block a lot of shots, and he just doesn’t. He’s much bigger and longer than the vast majority of the players he faces in college. If he just stands in front of the rim and waves his arms around, he should block shots by osmosis alone. It’s concerning, because centers who don’t block shots in college have not fared well in the NBA. Ayton is blocking shots at a historically low rate for a future lottery pick. There have been 17 NCAA centers drafted in the top 10 since 2010, and Ayton’s freshman year block rate is tied with Cody Zeller’s for second-lowest among the players in that group. Ayton is averaging only 1.7 blocks per game, with a block rate of 4.3 percent, a full standard deviation under the group average of 8.1 percent. Greg Monroe is the only player who blocked fewer shots as a freshman. Ayton is even behind Jahlil Okafor, who had a block rate of 4.5 percent. Monroe and Okafor are not the company an athletic young center should be keeping.

https://www.theringer.com/2017/12/7/16743900/deandre-ayton-arizona-blocks-nba-draft

Yikes :o.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 03:12:06 AM by Beat LA »

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 05:50:52 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Patrick Ewing

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 06:10:35 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I watched only his videos, not entire games.
I am not blown away by anything except his body.
As an NBA fan, I just hope he won't be the center version of wing Andrew Wiggins or forward version of Jeff Green.
Great athletes, went to good schools, high draft picks, generally productive players but underwhelming end products.

A center that doesn't defend on a high level.
How has that turned out so far for the immensely more talented KAT?
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2018, 09:18:14 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
bigs are especially tough to comp given the lack of elite players at the position over the years.

In an effort to keep the comps in the last 15 years

I would physically comp him to Greg Oden

On offense and defense I like the KAT comp minus KAT's dynamic ball handling

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2018, 08:16:55 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Confession time.

In fairness, I believe that he mostly played at the 4, this year, although I'm just going off of a recently read article, so there's that ;D, but I agree about his blocking numbers being shockingly poor. At the beginning of the season his stats in that department were even worse, iirc, and I was like huh? A guy with his physical tools should be swatting way more shots, imo, so yeah, that jumped out to me, as well, not to mention news about a questionable motor.

I mean, it would be one thing if the guy was only playing, like, 25-28 minutes a game owing to foul trouble or whatever, but the fact that he only averaged 1.9 bpg and 0.6 spg in 33.5 mpg over 35 contests is pretty alarming, to say the least, imo.

https://www.theringer.com/march-madness/2018/3/16/17129698/deandre-ayton-buffalo-defense-ncaa-tournament

Here’s the problem. A guy with Ayton’s incredible physical tools should block a lot of shots, and he just doesn’t. He’s much bigger and longer than the vast majority of the players he faces in college. If he just stands in front of the rim and waves his arms around, he should block shots by osmosis alone. It’s concerning, because centers who don’t block shots in college have not fared well in the NBA. Ayton is blocking shots at a historically low rate for a future lottery pick. There have been 17 NCAA centers drafted in the top 10 since 2010, and Ayton’s freshman year block rate is tied with Cody Zeller’s for second-lowest among the players in that group. Ayton is averaging only 1.7 blocks per game, with a block rate of 4.3 percent, a full standard deviation under the group average of 8.1 percent. Greg Monroe is the only player who blocked fewer shots as a freshman. Ayton is even behind Jahlil Okafor, who had a block rate of 4.5 percent. Monroe and Okafor are not the company an athletic young center should be keeping.

https://www.theringer.com/2017/12/7/16743900/deandre-ayton-arizona-blocks-nba-draft

You know who dominated college basketball in Blocks per Game?
 Jordan Mickey, 4 blocks per game. I rest my case.

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2018, 05:38:22 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Patrick Ewing

Ewwwwwwww...ing ;D.

Confession time.

You know who dominated college basketball in Blocks per Game?
 Jordan Mickey, 4 blocks per game. I rest my case.

But who was Hassan Whiteside? ;D

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2018, 05:40:31 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
He reminds me of cousins

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2018, 06:26:07 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

And yes I've seen him play 6 games. He absolutely dominated 5 of them. He was a dominant college player.

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2018, 07:21:51 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
He reminds me a bit like David Robinson. His body seems the same. I think Ayton is a bit smoother, but athletic  with an outside shot, who plays super tough D and could pick up some guards in a switch.