Author Topic: Celtics (3-0) at Sixers (0-3) Round 2 Game 4 5/7/18  (Read 56889 times)

Re: Celtics (3-0) at Sixers (0-3) Round 2 Game 4 5/7/18
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2018, 03:18:46 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Will never forgive Scott Foster for gift wrapping a title to the Lakers in 2010. The 4th quarter was the worst called quarter I have ever watched in my lifetime. It was blatant and unfair. 21-6 free throw advantage.

« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2018, 03:26:06 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
He is a homer ref with a home w/l record of    42-25.   I just think both of these refs are bad and at times they call games with an agenda.   
LOL. Who comes up with this nonsense?

In 2018, 15 teams had a better home record than .625, percentage-wise. Heck, the average league home record was a sliver under .600, which is statistically indistinguishable from Foster's record.

Foster is not a great official, but some of the bias talk is just plain paranoia.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2018, 03:31:26 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
Winning this just got tougher.   Scott Foster and Tony Brothers along with Sean Corbin are the refs tonight.  I guess the odds makers saw the ref assignments.

Sorry but that is the significance of these refs? Serious question. I truly have no idea who they are.

Scott Foster and Tony Brothers are among the worst refs in the league.   They often officiate with an agenda, whether league initiated or of their own preferences.   I don't necessarily think it's an agenda against the Celtics because at times they have given the Celtics the benefit of the calls.

Foster was one of the refs who called Game 7 of the 2010 finals where in the 4th quarter the Lakers took 21 free throws to 6 for the Celtics after calling the game fairly evenly in the first 3 quarters.  I've always thought that was a conscious effort to keep Rasheed Wallace (notable referee hater and baiter) from getting a ring. 

Tim Donaghey called both refs out for being company men and said if the league wanted their agenda carried out, those would be two that they would use to do it.  The Celtics have lost their last 7 playoff games called by Brothers. 

Foster was voted the worst referee in the league by players and coaches in an LA Times article.  Here are a couple of comments about Foster from that article:

"He had one of our playoff games and as soon as he walked in, I was like, 'This game is over.' We all knew we were going to get bad calls, and we did," said one veteran player. "You couldn't say anything to him. Hell, I don't think you could even look at him."

"You can't talk to him. He's never wrong," one player complained about Foster. "I like refs where they say, 'You know what, I made a mistake. I saw it at halftime. You were right.' But Scott Foster thinks he never makes a mistake."

He is a homer ref with a home w/l record of    42-25.   I just think both of these refs are bad and at times they call games with an agenda.   

Thanks for the answer. One more serious question. Why are they reffing in the playoffs if they are so bad?
Isn't there some criteria to pick playoff refs, or do they all get to do it? I would think it would be merit based? 

« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2018, 03:39:15 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11831
  • Marcus Smart Fan!

Thanks for the answer. One more serious question. Why are they reffing in the playoffs if they are so bad?
Isn't there some criteria to pick playoff refs, or do they all get to do it? I would think it would be merit based? 

I think the criteria includes their ability to carry out any directives they might get from the home office.  According to Tim Donaghy, Scott Foster is one of the best at this.   When Donaghy was on trial it came out that before almost every game,  there were phone calls between Donaghy and Foster for whatever that is worth. 

« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2018, 03:56:33 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Yeah, I'm really not digging the 6 PM EST start time.

I think PHI, despite some glaring flaws, will play the game of their lives and the Celtics simply have to weather their runs again. Also, play smarter basketball (limit the turnovers especially) and make it harder for them on defense (I thought they did relatively well Game 3, but there were large stretches where they gave up too many open looks, which won't cut it against a desperate team now).

Hoping Tatum stays aggressive and puts up 20+ while Horford continues the dominant play on both ends of the floor. Brown and Morris I feel will be the X-factors tonight. I feel we might need at least 15-18 points from each.

I ultimately think the game will go either one of two ways. One, Boston comes out and pretty much blows them out and wins comfortably (PHI is demoralized and give up by the 2nd half pretty much), OR PHI comes out firing and plays the game of their lives to earn a comfortable victory themselves (double-digit win). Hopefully it's the former. I feel we deserve a comfortable win after the last few nail biters  :P

I'm also curious to see if PHI gives Fultz any playing time in Game 4. Do they really have anything to lose at this point?

LETS GO C'S!!  8)

This won't make me popular, but I'm going with Philly blowout, in the range of 17-23 points. They're fighting for their lives, while we know that even if we lose, it goes back to Boston.

We'll take it in 5.

Mike

« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2018, 05:24:16 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

I think PHI, despite some glaring flaws, will play the game of their lives and the Celtics simply have to weather their runs again. Also, play smarter basketball (limit the turnovers especially) and make it harder for them on defense (I thought they did relatively well Game 3, but there were large stretches where they gave up too many open looks, which won't cut it against a desperate team now).

Hoping Tatum stays aggressive and puts up 20+ while Horford continues the dominant play on both ends of the floor. Brown and Morris I feel will be the X-factors tonight. I feel we might need at least 15-18 points from each.

I ultimately think the game will go either one of two ways. One, Boston comes out and pretty much blows them out and wins comfortably (PHI is demoralized and give up by the 2nd half pretty much), OR PHI comes out firing and plays the game of their lives to earn a comfortable victory themselves (double-digit win). Hopefully it's the former. I feel we deserve a comfortable win after the last few nail biters  :P

I'm also curious to see if PHI gives Fultz any playing time in Game 4. Do they really have anything to lose at this point?

LETS GO C'S!!  8)

This won't make me popular
, but I'm going with Philly blowout, in the range of 17-23 points. They're fighting for their lives, while we know that even if we lose, it goes back to Boston.

We'll take it in 5.

Mike

You are right that you are NOT popular and you are wrong on the points. You are 18-30 points off in the wrong direction.  ;)

« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2018, 05:31:21 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Think it is close late and Philly pulls away in the last three minutes only to prolong their death in the Garden

« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2018, 05:35:15 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
Will never forgive Scott Foster for gift wrapping a title to the Lakers in 2010. The 4th quarter was the worst called quarter I have ever watched in my lifetime. It was blatant and unfair. 21-6 free throw advantage.

who brought that nightmare up???  geez. it was a combo of that, docs rotations were terrible. also we blew a 12 point 4th quarter lead. 
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2018, 05:36:56 PM »

• Dennis Johnson

LETS GO C'S!!  8)

This won't make me popular, but I'm going with Philly blowout, in the range of 17-23 points. They're fighting for their lives, while we know that even if we lose, it goes back to Boston.

We'll take it in 5.

Mike

no doubt very possible. lots of teams when down 3-0 win that game 4 then collapse.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2018, 05:37:44 PM »

• Dennis Johnson
Think it is close late and Philly pulls away in the last three minutes only to prolong their death in the Garden

philly is going down in 5 so it really does not matter.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2018, 05:39:53 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Tonight a playoff legend will be born. I'm not sure which one of them it will be, but one of the Jay's are putting up 30 on them in their own house.

Oh and Horford gets close to 10 assists.
#JKJB

« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2018, 05:48:10 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • MASTER OF PANIC
McConnell starting over JJ Reddick tonight

« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2018, 05:50:29 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
McConnell starting over JJ Reddick tonight

Unfortunately for the C's, TJ has been good at giving them a lift.  Maybe that is what this is about?  Shake things up I guess.

I guess Coach Brown doesn't have confidence in his guys to get the win unless he makes some changes.

« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2018, 05:51:57 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Playing McConnell off the ball? That is an easier match up for Rozier

« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2018, 05:52:44 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce