Author Topic: Let's Blow Up the Raptors  (Read 12166 times)

Re: Let's Blow Up the Raptors
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2018, 03:04:21 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I actually think Lowry makes some sense for Philly if they strike out in free agency and can’t trade for Kawhi. If they let Redick and Amir walk, they could nearly absorb Lowry’s contract into cap space I believe. I wonder if TLC, their 2019 1st, and several 2nd round picks could ultimately nab Lowry at this point? A lineup of Simmons, Lowry, Covington, Saric, and Embiid with Fultz, McConnell, Holmes, Korkmaz, Anderson, and a top-10 pick (Lakers) off the bench would be pretty good. It’d also allow them to bring Fultz along slowly behind Lowry.

As for Derozan, I could see LAL being interested in him if they strike out on their pipe dream of Lebron and George. Can’t imagine that they’d get either Ball or Ingram, but maybe something like Randle in a sign-and-trade with Kuzma? I don’t know; it’s hard to gauge their value at this point.

Granted, I’m not sure why they’d break this team up if that’s the return. I fully expect any trade offers to be low, and I suspect they run the same team back again next year.

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2018, 03:09:27 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
A deal centered around Beal and Derozen seems pretty obvious also. Both teams need a shake up.

I don't think this makes sense for the Wizards at all.  Wall and Beal struggle to close games together but I can't imagine DeRozan being a better fit.  Your two best scorers cannot be poor perimeter shooters if the ultimate goal is to be a Finals contender.  Beal is also much younger than DeRozan. 

Wall and DeRozan shoot 25% from three in the playoffs combined on 5.6 attempts per game.  Currently Tatum, Jaylen, Horford, and Rozier all have a higher EFG% this postseason than the career averages of Wall and DeRozan.     

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2018, 03:54:42 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
If the Cavs knew that James was staying I could totally see them moving the BKN pick for Lowry or DeRozan as both would be excellent pieces next to James.  However since the Cavs have no idea on James I can't see that trade being made.

Lowry in Philly and DeRozan in NY both make sense.  Not sure the trade packages for those to happen as the money and value aren't easy to hit.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2018, 04:07:29 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
If the Cavs knew that James was staying I could totally see them moving the BKN pick for Lowry or DeRozan as both would be excellent pieces next to James.  However since the Cavs have no idea on James I can't see that trade being made.

Wouldn't salaries have to match up.  Also CLE has beat on TOR for years, and I doubt they trade to help the guy who was central to beating year in and out so he can win a title.

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2018, 04:26:31 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I think if you'e the Raptors, you try to retool and maybe bring in a new coach (although I generally hate the "just fire the coach, that's the answer" mentality) and run it back for a year. After that, Ibaka and Lowry will both be on expirings which should have some value and Derozan will only be 29 and still in his prime, so he'll be movable.

What I'm saying is I think they can get more for their biggest pieces next season.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2018, 05:08:12 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton

Lowry in Philly and DeRozan in NY both make sense.  Not sure the trade packages for those to happen as the money and value aren't easy to hit.

Interesting idea with the Cavs.  Let's make this more fun and pretend the Brooklyn pick somehow lands in the top 3.  LeBron tells the Cavs he will stay if they can move the pick in a deal that makes them a legitimate contender against Golden State.   

Cleveland receives:
Kyle Lowry
DeMar Derozan

Toronto Recieves:
BKN 18 pick (somewhere between 1-3)
George Hill
Jordan Clarkson
Tristan Thompson
Cedi Osman

This trade checks out on the ESPN trade machine and I think it's even better for Toronto than my proposed deal with Minnesota.  Could they stomach sending DeRozan and Lowry to the Cavs?  Are the Cavs good enough to beat a the Warriors with that group?

« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2018, 05:35:40 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Interesting idea with the Cavs.  Let's make this more fun and pretend the Brooklyn pick somehow lands in the top 3.  LeBron tells the Cavs he will stay if they can move the pick in a deal that makes them a legitimate contender against Golden State.   

Cleveland receives:
Kyle Lowry
DeMar Derozan

Toronto Recieves:
George Hill
Jordan Clarkson
Tristan Thompson
Cedi Osman

This trade checks out on the ESPN trade machine and I think it's even better for Toronto than my proposed deal with Minnesota.  Could they stomach sending DeRozan and Lowry to the Cavs?  Are the Cavs good enough to beat a the Warriors with that group?

Two allstars for a two bad contracts, an overpaid expiring, a fringe prospect and a top 3 pick? Seems legit.

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2018, 06:37:54 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton

Cleveland receives:
Kyle Lowry
DeMar Derozan

Toronto Recieves:
George Hill
Jordan Clarkson
Tristan Thompson
Cedi Osman

Two allstars for a two bad contracts, an overpaid expiring, a fringe prospect and a top 3 pick? Seems legit.

It's not as crazy as you're implying.  Would I make the deal if I was Toronto?  No, because it sends a negative message to the fan base they have built over the past four years.  I like the way Utah has approached team building.  You are completely right about the bad contracts too.  It's hard to justify dealing two All-Stars without creating significant cap flexibility. 

However, I definitely wouldn't want to turn into the Atlanta Hawks.  They traded Joe Johnson at 30 years old for a bunch of expiring contracts and zero lottery picks.  This allowed them to sign Millsap.  Unfortunately the new group didn't get over the hump and they never saw a return for Horford or Millsap. 

My proposed deal is on the extreme end of things but a top 3 draft pick(in a loaded draft) isn't a terrible way to kickstart a new era.  I don't believe the Raptors can land great value for Lowry at 32 years old.  As far as Derozan goes the Raptors would be lucky to receive anything close to what the Bulls got in the Butler trade.     

History says that NBA All-Stars with near max contracts(annual salary not years remaining) do not get traded for significant value.  Either way this off-season should be very interesting if Toronto gets swept.  Maybe they can replicate what Indiana pulled off in the George trade. 

« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 06:52:17 PM by Green-18 »

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2018, 06:54:44 PM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
I think if you'e the Raptors, you try to retool and maybe bring in a new coach and run it back for a year.

This is what I would do. Get a new head coach rather than blow it up.

« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2018, 07:00:22 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I can’t see Ujiri giving up on this deep, talented regular season winner that he has created..not in the Toronto market where they are entertained sufficiently by winning and hanging ANY banner, even division titles.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 07:08:59 PM by csfansince60s »

« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2018, 07:21:34 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I can’t see Ujiri giving up on this deep, talented regular season winner that he has created..not in the Toronto market where they are entertained sufficiently by winning and hanging ANY banner, even division titles.

I'm questioning whether it's actually true that the Toronto fanbase is going to continue to be entertained by this team when the team has been so thoroughly trounced year after year, regardless of its regular season performance.

I often think that us Boston fans tend to underestimate the extent to which other fanbases can find satisfaction in teams that are competitive and entertaining but that cannot contend for a title. 

Nonetheless, I think even small market fanbases can get sick of watching the same core group achieve the same result after five or six years.  Especially if that result involves the team consistently underperforming in the playoffs compared to the regular season.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2018, 07:30:18 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think if you'e the Raptors, you try to retool and maybe bring in a new coach (although I generally hate the "just fire the coach, that's the answer" mentality) and run it back for a year. After that, Ibaka and Lowry will both be on expirings which should have some value and Derozan will only be 29 and still in his prime, so he'll be movable.

What I'm saying is I think they can get more for their biggest pieces next season.

I think it's entirely possible they fire Casey since it's easier to fire your coach than trade your stars.

That would be a bad idea, in my opinion, but they may just do that.

To me, they already tried to "retool."  That's what this year was supposed to be about.  This was supposed to be their culture reset.  Their youth movement. A deep team that shared the ball and took more threes.

That has not translated to improved play in the post-season.  As soon as the playoffs started, once again, their regular season numbers meant nothing and they started playing like a middle of the road team, capable of winning a series or two but not especially better than any other team in the crush of lower seeded teams.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2018, 08:32:23 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
oh .....if Cavs finish em off .......the coach is history

Budhouisen might get that job .

Coach is nice dude , but he isn't the brightest at kepi g up or ahead of what the other coach is doing.

Yean ,.....his gig maybe up unl ss Raptors win a title ...i figure he is gone ....maybe the GM too...paid Ibaka all that money ....Ibaka sucks oranges.

« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2018, 09:08:14 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
If this follows the same pattern as all the other jinx threads on here... the Raptors will now probably go on to win the series and the next 4 games  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2018, 09:30:20 PM »

Offline TheisTheisBaby

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
Easy solution....tell Drake to stop rooting for them.  He's such a clown and probably the biggest jinx they have.