Author Topic: Let's Blow Up the Raptors  (Read 12152 times)

Re: Let's Blow Up the Raptors
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2018, 02:08:07 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
How about a crazy blockbuster deal that sends both Lowry and DeRozan to Minnesota.

Toronto receives:
Andrew Wiggins (via sign and trade)
Taj Gibson (expiring contract)
Cole Aldrich (expiring contract)
Jeff Teague (needed for salary matching)
2018 first round pick from OKC
2019 first round pick from Minnesota

Minnesota receives:
DeMar DeRozan
Kyle Lowry
CJ Miles

Both teams would be sending out roughly $66 million in salary.  This is assuming that Wiggins signs for the same max RFA deal that Otto Porter received from Washington.  The biggest issue for the Raptors is that they would probably value additional salary relief or lottery picks instead of Andrew Wiggins.

If they like Wiggins then this would allow them to begin a rebuild with all of the young players on their current roster.  I don't think they would make the playoffs in 2018-19 which means their own draft pick would be in the lottery.

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2018, 02:19:06 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I am mad at the Raptors, too. What a disappointment. If we are able to pull out the series, I really don't want to face another Lebron team. Who knows? Maybe we can surprise...

But I also think that the Raptors should wait to see what Lebron first does in FA. If he goes west, then they should totally keep their core...and they should probably keep their core anyway and hope for a draft or trade steal.

I realize that your point isn't to argue why the Raptors should stand pat, but rather what they could get if they don't. Unfortunately, this is a very tough exercise because with so few teams having cap space this summer, they would need to match salaries which means no young players with potential (or picks). Philly would be a nice option if they strike out on Lebron/Kawhi/George. DeRozan is a hero in that city, though - they better be sure the return they get for him is legit.

I don't think it's a LeBron issue. For some reason, the Raptors team tightens up in the playoffs. Actually, the duo of Lowry and Derozan tightens up in the playoffs. Maybe their just not a good pairing. Could they both be Robins, but disguised as Batmans? I think Toronto would benefit by trading one of those guys.

Actually, Washington and Portland fall into this category too. They each think they have two superstar players, and pay them as such, but those players are missing something come playoff time. We will see shortly if Houston becomes the latest victim too. Out of those four teams, is James Harden the only player to make it out of the second round (coming off the bench for OKC)?

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2018, 02:28:55 PM »

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478

- Cavs send Nets pick + players (this one has a high probability of happening)

I hadn't thought of this possibility, but it does make some sense potentially.

Knicks trading Ntilikina + #9 and filler for Lowry or Derozan seems like a VERY Knicks thing to do.

Yes it does lol. Same with the Hornets. Those pesky picks/young players are just burning holes in their pockets.

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2018, 02:30:30 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
DeRozan to the Lakers for Ingram + Deng.

Kyle Lowry to the Sixers for Bayless and Fultz.

Ibaka to the Bucks for Henson and Wilson.

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2018, 02:34:03 PM »

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
How about a crazy blockbuster deal that sends both Lowry and DeRozan to Minnesota.

Toronto receives:

Minnesota receives:
DeMar DeRozan
Kyle Lowry
CJ Miles

Both teams would be sending out roughly $66 million in salary.  This is assuming that Wiggins signs for the same max RFA deal that Otto Porter received from Washington.  The biggest issue for the Raptors is that they would probably value additional salary relief or lottery picks instead of Andrew Wiggins.

If they like Wiggins then this would allow them to begin a rebuild with all of the young players on their current roster.  I don't think they would make the playoffs in 2018-19 which means their own draft pick would be in the lottery.

I dunno if Minny would be willing to move on from Wiggins just yet, but they should. IMO it's unlikely he will ever be a winner, but he has enough potential and youth still that he's a nice prospect for Toronto.

But Minny would be loaded if they did this deal. Add some 3-and-D roleplayers to the mix and they are finally in the hunt.

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2018, 02:37:23 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
teach them "The Process."TM
;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2018, 02:39:26 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Toronto receives:

Minnesota receives:
DeMar DeRozan
Kyle Lowry
CJ Miles

Love this trade. It makes sense for both teams. TP

Wiggins back to Canada. Top end Wolves talent 1-4.

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2018, 02:40:08 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
DeRozan is a hero in that city, though - they better be sure the return they get for him is legit.

I think you can reach a point where the way to do right by your star player is to trade him elsewhere so he can move on with his career / achieve what he wants to achieve that can't happen with your team.

I feel that the Raps have reached that point with Lowry and Derozan.  It's not getting better from here with those guys leading the roster, and after this season I think everybody has to know that.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2018, 02:40:20 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Maybe Middleton, Henson + pick(s) for DeRozan?

Lol, that is such a ripoff for Toronto, imo, as Middleton is so much better than Derozan that it's not even funny, lol.

Demar Derozen and a first for Kawii Leonard and Rudy Gay would allow Spurs to continue contending with the right moves.

Loul Deng, Kuzma, and Randle for Derozen? Gives Lakers chance to get their 3 stars and gives Toronto a reboot of youth.

Mccollum and a prospect or pick for Derozen? Gives both teams a change of scenery on things that have grown stale?

Okay that first trade is never gonna happen lol.

Cosign, Monk :), and while that second proposed trade sounds like a ripoff for LA, man would it be hilarious to see Derozan and/or Lowry crap their pants for the Lakers in the postseason lma0 ;D.

- Cavs send Nets pick + players (this one has a high probability of happening)

I hadn't thought of this possibility, but it does make some sense potentially.

I actually saw that proposed on Twitter, last night, although many of those ideas were pretty must centered around joking that Derozan should pull a Durant, and the rest of the Tweets were just atrocious because Twitter. In one example, some user called Derozan the "down syndrome [version of] Kobe" :o. Yeah, it was beyond awful.

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2018, 02:40:54 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Toronto receives:

Minnesota receives:
DeMar DeRozan
Kyle Lowry
CJ Miles

Love this trade. It makes sense for both teams. TP

Wiggins back to Canada. Top end Wolves talent 1-4.

I'm not a Wiggins fan, but I agree that the idea of sending Derozan or Lowry to Minnesota and Wiggins playing in Canada is intriguing for both sides.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2018, 02:49:14 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

Toronto receives:

Minnesota receives:
DeMar DeRozan
Kyle Lowry
CJ Miles

I don’t know the particulars off the top of my head, but Wiggins already signed a huge extension.

I think the best bet for Toronto, if they indeed get trounced by LeBron yet again, is to trade them separately. My guess would be they hold on to both and hope LeBron goes West and take their chances against Boston as the clear top dog. It’s a bad idea but can they possibly get good value for them coming off their biggest flop yet?

They seem like the type of franchise content with putting together winning seasons, getting heir fan base excited, and bowing out expectedly early. Zero chance at a title but hey, fun basketball from October to April.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2018, 02:52:44 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
A deal centered around Beal and Derozen seems pretty obvious also. Both teams need a shake up.

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2018, 02:55:09 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

They seem like the type of franchise content with putting together winning seasons, getting heir fan base excited, and bowing out expectedly early. Zero chance at a title but hey, fun basketball from October to April.

I agree that this is probably how Toronto looks at things for the most part, but I think after several years of disappointing, feckless playoff exits, they actually jeopardize their fan base continuing to be excited about "fun basketball" that their team plays if they continue to trot out Lowry and Derozan as the main guys for that team.

It's okay if your team isn't competing for a championship, but you need to be able to sell a narrative.

If you go forward with another year of Lowry - Derozan, the narrative you're advancing is "No matter how good this team looks in the regular season, they will be painfully disappointing in the playoffs."  They already tried to reset their playstyle and revamp their supporting cast in the hopes it would give a sense of a raised ceiling, of "this time being different."  It didn't work.  In fact, it is failing spectacularly at the moment. 

"Another year that ends in crushing disappointment" is a hard sell to any fanbase.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2018, 02:58:35 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

Toronto receives:

Minnesota receives:
DeMar DeRozan
Kyle Lowry
CJ Miles

I don’t know the particulars off the top of my head, but Wiggins already signed a huge extension.

I think the best bet for Toronto, if they indeed get trounced by LeBron yet again, is to trade them separately. My guess would be they hold on to both and hope LeBron goes West and take their chances against Boston as the clear top dog. It’s a bad idea but can they possibly get good value for them coming off their biggest flop yet?

You are right about Wiggins.  I forgot that he signed an extension starting at $25 million next season.  Salaries would still match in my proposed deal.

It will be interesting to see if the Raptors organization is content being a perennial 2nd round playoff team.  Ownership may very well be content making good money with a fun product, especially if LeBron goes to the Western Conference. 

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2018, 03:00:05 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
A deal centered around Beal and Derozen seems pretty obvious also. Both teams need a shake up.

Which would completely backfire, as DeRozan cannot play with Wall, and Beal needs to play with a player that can keep up with his speed.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different