Author Topic: Let's Blow Up the Raptors  (Read 12154 times)

Let's Blow Up the Raptors
« on: May 04, 2018, 12:13:35 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm gonna come clean.  I'm mad at the Raptors. 

I want somebody to beat LeBron.  I hate that the Cavs can half or quarter butt-cheek their way through a season and still make the Finals because they have LeBron and guys like Jeff Green or J.R. Smith will remember how to play for a game or two in a series.

The Raptors somehow suckered me into thinking they were actually as good as their record and their point differential.  Me, dummy.

So, as retribution, and because I think it's what would be best for their fans, the franchise, and the players involved, I think they should blow it up.

Let's help them!

It's hard to figure out how they could trade Lowry, who is 30+ and making a ton of money, or Derozan, who is nearing 30 and also making a ton of money.  Ibaka seems nigh untradeable.  Valanciunas has questionable trade value, though he's still young.

But let's try.  So give me your best ideas for how the Raps can trade away Lowry, Derozan, and Valanciunas.  Bonus points if you can figure out a reasonable Ibaka trade, though honestly I think he's just dead weight  (a "clattering boneyard" as Bruce Arthur brilliantly put it).

I want to see the Raptors enter next year with a roster that no longer includes Lowry or Derozan.  Ideally they should be featuring their young bench mob as their future.  These trades needn't be aimed at allowing them to stay relevant.  That ship has sailed.  It's time for a true reset in Toronto.

VanVleet, Wright, OG, Siakam, Poeltl  ---> That's the Raptors core.  Everybody else can go.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: Let's Blow Up the Raptors
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 12:17:42 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Unfortunately, it's hard to see any team trading for any of those guys unless the Raptors throw in some picks (with the other team taking back the bad contract).

Maybe the Knicks go after a DeRozan or Lowry? Suns? Bucks?

They've got the assets to get it done.

Maybe Middleton, Henson + pick(s) for DeRozan?

If Knicks are serious in Lebron pursuit (lol), maybe Ntilikina + salary pieces + pick for DeRozan or Lowry?

But yeah if you're talking pure rebuild and stockpiling picks, it's hard to imagine doing that esp. when teams may need to match salaries in trades.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 12:22:51 PM by Phantom255x »
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 12:30:27 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I don't think Valanciunas has any real value to move, more of a shuffling of disappointing players type of deal for him I think.

I think they're locked in for another year.

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 12:36:44 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I don't think Valanciunas has any real value to move, more of a shuffling of disappointing players type of deal for him I think.

I think they're locked in for another year.

If I was them, I would look to move Lowry and Derozan for anything I could get.  Valanciunas I might keep in the hopes that in a different ecosystem he could thrive.

He was pretty good this year, all told.  Great per minute production and had a lot of value in 20 minutes per game.

Ibaka is probably untradeable.

But I would want to give Lowry and Derozan fresh starts elsewhere, and I would want to give my fans a fresh start.  I think many Raps fans are probably feeling like they've seen all there is to see with a team led by Lowry and Derozan.  We all know how another season with those guys would end.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 12:39:41 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Unfortunately, it's hard to see any team trading for any of those guys unless the Raptors throw in some picks (with the other team taking back the bad contract).

Maybe the Knicks go after a DeRozan or Lowry? Suns? Bucks?

They've got the assets to get it done.

Maybe Middleton, Henson + pick(s) for DeRozan?

If Knicks are serious in Lebron pursuit (lol), maybe Ntilikina + salary pieces + pick for DeRozan or Lowry?

But yeah if you're talking pure rebuild and stockpiling picks, it's hard to imagine doing that esp. when teams may need to match salaries in trades.

I'm talking about getting any value at all in return for Lowry and Derozan.  Primary goal would be to clear the deck for the young guys and have a franchise reset in terms of who the main faces are and really refocusing the style of play on the fast pace, sharing the ball, young guys thing they had going with their bench this year.

I like the Derozan for Middleton etc idea.  That seems like a swap that could make sense for both sides in terms of two teams that need some roster shuffling just to shake things up.

I could also totally see the Knicks trading Ntilikina and filler for Lowry.

Perhaps the Blazers would consider a McCollum - Derozan swap?  Doesn't really fix any of their problems, but both teams might see the benefit of a swap.

I wonder if the Suns would do Ulis + Bender + filler (Chandler, Dudley) for Lowry + filler.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 12:57:06 PM by PhoSita »
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 12:54:44 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Demar Derozen and a first for Kawii Leonard and Rudy Gay would allow Spurs to continue contending with the right moves.

Loul Deng, Kuzma, and Randle for Derozen? Gives Lakers chance to get their 3 stars and gives Toronto a reboot of youth.

Mccollum and a prospect or pick for Derozen? Gives both teams a change of scenery on things that have grown stale?

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 01:05:27 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I wonder if the Kings would trade Bogdan Bogdanovic, Justin Jackson and filler (Z.Bo for Temple + Koufos) for Derozan.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 01:06:41 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I wonder if the Kings would trade Bogdan Bogdanovic, Justin Jackson and filler (Z.Bo for Temple + Koufos) for Derozan.

Why would the Kings want to get Derozan? Cause they don't their pick? That is still a lottery team with him and he would hurt the development of Hield and Fox most likely?

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2018, 01:13:45 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Why would the Kings want to get Derozan? Cause they don't their pick? That is still a lottery team with him and he would hurt the development of Hield and Fox most likely?

They've been bad for so long, Derozan is a top 20 player, and I think he could play alongside Fox and Hield.

And like you said, they don't own their pick next year anyway.

If I was the Kings any move that gave my team a sense of progression toward competing without compromising my youth movement would be worthwhile to me.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2018, 01:17:11 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
Would the Raps be willing to take Rozier for Ibaka?

Ainge would be a fool not to pull the trigger on that one

::) ::) ::)

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2018, 01:18:06 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Would the Raps be willing to take Rozier for Ibaka?

Ainge would be a fool not to pull the trigger on that one

::) ::) ::)

Haha.   8)
- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2018, 01:36:03 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I am mad at the Raptors, too. What a disappointment. If we are able to pull out the series, I really don't want to face another Lebron team. Who knows? Maybe we can surprise...

But I also think that the Raptors should wait to see what Lebron first does in FA. If he goes west, then they should totally keep their core...and they should probably keep their core anyway and hope for a draft or trade steal.

I realize that your point isn't to argue why the Raptors should stand pat, but rather what they could get if they don't. Unfortunately, this is a very tough exercise because with so few teams having cap space this summer, they would need to match salaries which means no young players with potential (or picks). Philly would be a nice option if they strike out on Lebron/Kawhi/George. DeRozan is a hero in that city, though - they better be sure the return they get for him is legit.

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2018, 01:51:40 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Demar Derozen and a first for Kawii Leonard and Rudy Gay would allow Spurs to continue contending with the right moves.

Loul Deng, Kuzma, and Randle for Derozen? Gives Lakers chance to get their 3 stars and gives Toronto a reboot of youth.

Mccollum and a prospect or pick for Derozen? Gives both teams a change of scenery on things that have grown stale?

Okay that first trade is never gonna happen lol.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2018, 02:03:24 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
- Grizz trade #2 pick (after the draft for salary matching purposes), Chandler Parsons' mega-toxic contract, and spare parts for Lowry and Derozan. They make one last run with Gasol and Conley.

- Pelicans send expirings plus unprotected future picks for DeRozan

- Jazz send young players for DeRozan

- Wolves send Teague + picks/players for Lowry or Derozan

- Cavs send Nets pick + players (this one has a high probability of happening)

- Knicks dump Noah's corpse + #9

- Hornets trade #11 + players

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2018, 02:06:33 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

- Cavs send Nets pick + players (this one has a high probability of happening)

I hadn't thought of this possibility, but it does make some sense potentially.

Knicks trading Ntilikina + #9 and filler for Lowry or Derozan seems like a VERY Knicks thing to do.
- Mark Twain