Author Topic: There's Really Only Two Logical Kawhi Trade Ideas If You're Ainge  (Read 6240 times)

Re: There's Really Only Two Logical Kawhi Trade Ideas If You're Ainge
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2018, 01:34:37 PM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
The Spurs aren't going to accept any deal that doesn't both the Kings pick and one of Tatum/Brown.

That's why I think, if the Suns are willing to give up their own first rounder this year (likely Top-2), then they'll land Kawhi. Suns could offer that pick + others and probably beat everyone else's offer (unless if LAL actually offers Ingram + Kuzma + Hart).
The Suns aren't getting Kawhi because he will inform them he will not resign with the franchise.

Same thing Kyrie did.

True, his preferences are LAL, LAC, MIA, NYK or PHI according to his list.

Anyone who does not have Boston on his list at this point is not serious about winning.

Anyone who does not have Boston on his list isn't deserving of wearing the green and playing for the fans of Boston...period.

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2018, 01:56:21 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Why not just take Option 1 and throw in the Sac pick? It's not like we would need it anyways.
Largely because Smart will be a base year compensation player under this scenario, so the question of whether and how such a transaction would be even possible under the cap rules is not exactly straightforward.

I think this package is very difficult to beat.

You get Rozier on a rookie deal and he's been killing it.
You get Smart locked up.
You get Marcus Morris on a cheap contract that you can either play him or flip him for a low first round pick to a championship contender.
And you get 2 great first round picks.

The Philly proposals I've been seeing are basically garbage: this year's pick, Fultz, Saric, Covington. No one wants that trash.

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2018, 02:19:39 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I accidentally watched First Take this morning (I know, I know) and there was an entire segment on this in regards to Kawhi.

SAS thought we should trade Kyrie for Kawhi in a straight up trade of 'five star' players. Here, Rozier and Smart would take over playmaking duties and the rest of our team would be a switching nightmare for other teams.

Kellerman thought that a trade of Hayward/Rozier/a pick for Kawhi would be best since we would get to keep both 'five star' players while taking advantage of Rozier's increased value the year before his contract expires.

I realize there is an entire thread on Kawhi that has gotten quite extensive, but I am not sure I want to give up Rozier at all right now. Not that I definitely want to deal Kyrie, but Rozier is finally combining some control with his elite athleticism. He is also so engaged on both ends - the dude is just electric. I would hate to just deal him for a mid-1st.

The above is from another thread discussing Kyrie and Rozier's value, but it wasn't gaining much steam and I thought it might be more relevant here. I don't ever do the 'copy and paste' post thing - sorry if it comes off as tacky. The other thread is here:

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=96107.0

Hey! I was watching First Take too, as it was on the TV at the gym lol  :laugh:

Yeah I saw that segment too. I just don't think Hayward is getting traded. No FA would ever want to come to BOS if they trade him in just a year after he got injured (would look real bad).

I'll admit, the Kyrie for Kawhi swap is not as crazy as it sounded 2 weeks ago, but I still think it's crazy lol. I wouldn't do it.

But man SAS looked excited that entire segment lol  :P

LINK: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DINzK764J70
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2018, 02:25:04 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
I think both of the OP's offers are too much. At this point, I'm not giving up anything of value without some serious confidence that he's willing to resign here at the end of the season.

Mike

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2018, 02:28:14 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I accidentally watched First Take this morning (I know, I know) and there was an entire segment on this in regards to Kawhi.

SAS thought we should trade Kyrie for Kawhi in a straight up trade of 'five star' players. Here, Rozier and Smart would take over playmaking duties and the rest of our team would be a switching nightmare for other teams.

Kellerman thought that a trade of Hayward/Rozier/a pick for Kawhi would be best since we would get to keep both 'five star' players while taking advantage of Rozier's increased value the year before his contract expires.

I realize there is an entire thread on Kawhi that has gotten quite extensive, but I am not sure I want to give up Rozier at all right now. Not that I definitely want to deal Kyrie, but Rozier is finally combining some control with his elite athleticism. He is also so engaged on both ends - the dude is just electric. I would hate to just deal him for a mid-1st.

The above is from another thread discussing Kyrie and Rozier's value, but it wasn't gaining much steam and I thought it might be more relevant here. I don't ever do the 'copy and paste' post thing - sorry if it comes off as tacky. The other thread is here:

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=96107.0

Yeah I saw that segment too. I just don't think Hayward is getting traded. No FA would ever want to come to BOS if they trade him in just a year after he got injured (would look real bad).

I'll admit, the Kyrie for Kawhi swap is not as crazy as it sounded 2 weeks ago, but I still think it's crazy lol. I wouldn't do it.

Not like we'll have the cap space nor the roster opening available even if we did ;)

But cannot trade Hayward, would break CBS's heart.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2018, 02:52:31 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Do we really need another wing? I feel like we need another playmaking big man who can defend.

I just don’t see Kawhi moving the needle based on what we’d give up...

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2018, 02:58:59 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
I just realized... could the Knicks trade for Kawhi, THEN sign Lebron this summer?  :o

I mean, that's a Big 3 of Kawhi/Lebron/Porzingis with still some solid pieces leftover. Also, Lebron loves Fizdale. As long as they can put together a decent bench, they probably become a contender.

Now maybe Kanter wouldn't like it, but Knicks FO obviously would  :P

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2018, 03:00:39 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I'd say absolutely not to both trade ideas

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2018, 03:12:19 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
I think both of the OP's offers are too much. At this point, I'm not giving up anything of value without some serious confidence that he's willing to resign here at the end of the season.

Mike

They probably are, but again, it's the most logical ideas that I could come up with. Difficult to formulate a trade w/o gutting the team, or giving up multiple significant pieces since we don't have any player with an Amir or Zeller-like 8-12 M salary anymore.

You have Morris, Tatum and Brown at around 4-7M next season, but then after that you jump to Irving at 19M, then Horford, Hayward.

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2018, 03:18:25 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Stephen A today felt if Boston was going to go after Kawhi Leonard, in light of the emergence of Terry Rozier, the most logical trade would be Kyrie straight up for Leonard. 

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2018, 03:22:39 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Stephen A today felt if Boston was going to go after Kawhi Leonard, in light of the emergence of Terry Rozier, the most logical trade would be Kyrie straight up for Leonard.

Yep, me and @jambr380 were talking about it above!

I think that's a pretty crazy take and wouldn't do it though. But, it's not as crazy right now as it was if someone had suggested it weeks ago  :P

I wonder if NYK trades for Kawhi, then signs Lebron.

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2018, 03:24:39 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I don't think it is likely that we trade Hayward, but I think it could be done in a respectful way that would allow the Cs to come off as not the worst organization in sports. Sometimes players develop better than you could hope during a long-term injury and a team's direction changes. The Patriots aren't a prime example as Drew Bledsoe had been with the team since he was drafted, but he had just signed a huge contract and then Tom Brady happened and Bledsoe was soon in Buffalo.

If the Cs talked with Hayward and he showed some interest in playing for Pop, then it's possible it doesn't blow up in their faces.

No matter what, if Cs have an opportunity to acquire Kawhi with Hayward as the only main piece, then they have to try to find a way to make that happen.

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2018, 03:30:25 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Not interested in Kawhi.

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2018, 03:47:11 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Wait there are actually people who would turn down #1? Put down the drugs.

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2018, 03:58:09 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
So, thoughts? Or any adjustments to the trade ideas? Again, I don't see us trading for Kawhi, but these are just ideas/analysis for "fun" discussion

You answered your own question.  We are not trading for him and one has to think that his reputation league wide has took a hit after the ways things went down in SA due to his decisions.   He belongs in LA, I hope they get him and I hope LeBron, too goes there so we can beat both of them as Lakers.