Author Topic: There's Really Only Two Logical Kawhi Trade Ideas If You're Ainge  (Read 6242 times)

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
By *logical*, I mean reasonable trade ideas that work in the NBA Trade Machine and aren't as absurd (like people randomly on Facebook or w/e posting, "Larkin + Nader for Kawhi!"  :P)

TRADE IDEA 1: Marcus Smart (S&T: 10-12M), Terry Rozier, Marcus Morris, 2019 Grizzlies Pick FOR Kawhi Leonard

TRADE IDEA 2: Terry Rozier, Jaylen Brown, Marcus Morris, Abdel Nader, ONE of Yabusele/Ojeyele + 2019 Grizzlies Pick FOR Kawhi Leonard

Those are the two ideas that would hypothetically get it done.

ANALYSIS ON TRADE IDEA 1: Now I know people are going to read that first offer and think I'm being a huge homer and that the Spurs would laugh at that offer, and guess what, they probably will. BUT if you replace Morris or Rozier in that trade with a Brown, I think that's an overkill on our side to be honest. And remember, salaries have to match, so unless Smart's S&T $$$ is a little higher, we probably have to do Smart + 2 of Brown/Rozier/Morris to get it done. But this trade also doesn't kill our bench/depth.

ANALYSIS ON TRADE IDEA 2: This is probably the most reasonable out of the two for BOTH sides. I think Spurs look hard at this trade. Rozier's stock has risen a ton, and they get Brown back in the trade. Might be an extremely tough pill for BOS to swallow though. It does hurt out bench depth a bit, but if we assume that we keep Marcus Smart using his Bird Rights, we should be fine in that regard. We keep Tatum, add Leonard, maybe add and/or bring back a big using MLE, and go from there.

Personally, I DON'T see us trading for Kawhi this summer, and don't want us to either. But this was just a quick analysis I put together and frankly I think these are the two *logical* trade ideas for Ainge to consider. Sure, they could trade Horford + Rozier for Kawhi + Gasol, but I don't see Horford being dealt. Looks bad if you trade your first marquee FA signing in history within 2.5 years (Isaiah trade already looks bad enough). Also creates a big hole in the front court that a washed up Gasol isn't filling. And NO WAY should Ainge even consider trading both Jaylen and Tatum in a Kawhi trade.

So, thoughts? Or any adjustments to the trade ideas? Again, I don't see us trading for Kawhi, but these are just ideas/analysis for "fun" discussion  ;D
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: There's Really Only Two Logical Kawhi Trade Ideas If You're Ainge
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 12:15:53 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Thoughts: we have kyrie irving and Gordon hayward being added to this team next year. The need to trade assets for a damaged goods star is exaggerated. We do not need kawhi.

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 12:19:06 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Thoughts: we have kyrie irving and Gordon hayward being added to this team next year. The need to trade assets for a damaged goods star is exaggerated. We do not need kawhi.

Agreed, but guess what, that won't stop the rumors all summer long  :P

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 12:20:26 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
The Spurs aren't going to accept any deal that doesn't both the Kings pick and one of Tatum/Brown.

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 12:22:07 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
The Spurs aren't going to accept any deal that doesn't both the Kings pick and one of Tatum/Brown.

That's why I think, if the Suns are willing to give up their own first rounder this year (likely Top-2), then they'll land Kawhi. Suns could offer that pick + others and probably beat everyone else's offer (unless if LAL actually offers Ingram + Kuzma + Hart).

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 12:23:48 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

That's why I think, if the Suns are willing to give up their own first rounder this year (likely Top-2), then they'll land Kawhi. Suns could offer that pick + others and probably beat everyone else's offer (unless if LAL actually offers Ingram + Kuzma + Hart).
The Suns aren't getting Kawhi because he will inform them he will not resign with the franchise.

Same thing Kyrie did.

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 12:24:40 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

The Suns aren't getting Kawhi because he will inform them he will not resign with the franchise.

Same thing Kyrie did.

True, his preferences are LAL, LAC, MIA, NYK or PHI according to his list.

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 12:28:11 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Same thing Kyrie did.

List?

That's a new one to me.

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2018, 12:32:15 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Same thing Kyrie did.

Anyone who does not have Boston on his list at this point is not serious about winning.

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2018, 12:37:12 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Same thing Kyrie did.

Anyone who does not have Boston on his list at this point is not serious about winning.
The idea that you can only win in Boston is such a strawman. I'd love me a player who thinks he's good enough to go anywhere and lead the team to wins.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2018, 12:40:57 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Why not just take Option 1 and throw in the Sac pick? It's not like we would need it anyways.

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2018, 12:48:43 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Why not just take Option 1 and throw in the Sac pick? It's not like we would need it anyways.
Largely because Smart will be a base year compensation player under this scenario, so the question of whether and how such a transaction would be even possible under the cap rules is not exactly straightforward.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2018, 01:18:14 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Same thing Kyrie did.

List?

That's a new one to me.

It's according to multiple reports online. Maybe not a list, but his camp reportedly wants him to go to a bigger market, which all 5 of them are. Miami was only in one report though as a possibility, but it is a big market too. Probably should have been clearer when I said "according to his list" (meaning multiple reports).  :P

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2018, 01:24:56 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I accidentally watched First Take this morning (I know, I know) and there was an entire segment on this in regards to Kawhi.

SAS thought we should trade Kyrie for Kawhi in a straight up trade of 'five star' players. Here, Rozier and Smart would take over playmaking duties and the rest of our team would be a switching nightmare for other teams.

Kellerman thought that a trade of Hayward/Rozier/a pick for Kawhi would be best since we would get to keep both 'five star' players while taking advantage of Rozier's increased value the year before his contract expires.

I realize there is an entire thread on Kawhi that has gotten quite extensive, but I am not sure I want to give up Rozier at all right now. Not that I definitely want to deal Kyrie, but Rozier is finally combining some control with his elite athleticism. He is also so engaged on both ends - the dude is just electric. I would hate to just deal him for a mid-1st.

The above is from another thread discussing Kyrie and Rozier's value, but it wasn't gaining much steam and I thought it might be more relevant here. I don't ever do the 'copy and paste' post thing - sorry if it comes off as tacky. The other thread is here:

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=96107.0

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2018, 01:27:49 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Same thing Kyrie did.

The idea that you can only win in Boston is such a strawman. I'd love me a player who thinks he's good enough to go anywhere and lead the team to wins.

It’s a list, Koz. Not saying we’re the only team. But if you or your agent gives a list of 5 teams you’d accept a trade to, you’d think Celtics would be on the list, if he’s trying to play for a championship. It’s consensus that Philly and Boston are the two best teams of the future, GS and Houston the best teams today.