Author Topic: Lions taking heat for Matt Patricia hiring  (Read 2424 times)

Lions taking heat for Matt Patricia hiring
« on: May 11, 2018, 10:28:26 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Lions taking heat for Matt Patricia hiring
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 11:09:08 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Very strange story. Sadly, I fully expect the NFL to fold after a few SJWs say bad things about them on ESPN and nuke Patricia's career. That's more or less their MO..

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 11:13:01 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
They should have taken heat because the Patriot's team has completely relied on the Offense to win and cover the faults of the defense.  Patricia, IMO, was a poor defensive coordinator who got exposed multiple times, especially in the superbowl.

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 11:13:57 AM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I don't think this was a secret, was it? And he was never proven guilty. And even if he had been guilty, does that mean he can never work again?
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 11:32:40 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Very strange story. Sadly, I fully expect the NFL to fold after a few SJWs say bad things about them on ESPN and nuke Patricia's career. That's more or less their MO..

Sure.  We've seen over the last couple decades in the NFL that once you're accused of sexual assault, rape, or the like, there's no coming back from that.  No being a franchise quarterback who wins a Super Bowl.  You definitely can't murder somebody and still play in the NFL.  No way you can beat up your girlfriend and make millions on your next contract.  Never happens.

But man if only we could blackball more of these dudes who kneel during the anthem, amirite?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 11:55:34 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
How the heck does a company not use Nexis for background checks?

Regardless, it was over twenty years ago & dismissed.  The people bringing out the pitchforks & torches on this really should tried and find something better to do.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 11:55:48 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I don't think this was a secret, was it? And he was never proven guilty. And even if he had been guilty, does that mean he can never work again?
Apparently the Lions didn't know about it until the Detroit Free Press story on Wednesday.  That may very well be the bigger issue.  They did a background check and didn't discover this so they couldn't vet it properly.

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 12:02:55 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
20+ years ago, and he wasn’t convicted. No further evidence, or even allegations, of crimes.

This isn’t even a Chauncey Billups / Kobe Bryant situation, where a monetary settlement was reached.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 11:26:04 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
20+ years ago, and he wasn’t convicted. No further evidence, or even allegations, of crimes.

This isn’t even a Chauncey Billups / Kobe Bryant situation, where a monetary settlement was reached.
True, but apparently she immediately filed a police report, immediately was taken to receive medical treatment, etc.  It is quite common, especially in the case of a person on vacation, for that person who was raped (at least in her mind) to not want to testify, and without that testimony there is no case as it was almost certainly a question of consent.  Now obviously maybe it would have been shown there was consent had the case progressed, but I almost find this one to be more questionable then the ones involving professional athletes that disappear after monetary compensation is made (except in the case of Kobe where he basically admitted there was a question of whether consent was given). 

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 12:56:27 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I don't think there's much to act on here. Patricia may have been a real a**hole in college, but I imagine that he's matured. I'm not excusing such acts. I just imagine that a lot of men (in aggregate, not as a %) have #metoo issues going back 20-30 years. I'm not one of them, but I know a couple guys that had some sexual assault charges in college that were dismissed that are actually decent people today.