Author Topic: Patriots were going to try to get to 2 for Mayfield  (Read 1963 times)

Patriots were going to try to get to 2 for Mayfield
« on: May 01, 2018, 03:49:04 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
At least according to Mayfield's agent who also confirmed that Mayfield was the Jets top target.  This matches earlier reports that a number of teams had Mayfield at the top of their draft boards and would explain why Mayfield was meeting with Patriots before the draft.  Maybe the Browns aren't so crazy after all.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Patriots were going to try to get to 2 for Mayfield
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 04:03:40 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I never put a lot of stock in reports like this.  Easy to put out this kind of info after the fact.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 04:04:10 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Mayfield is a good player. I wouldn’t be surprised

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 04:06:35 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I never put a lot of stock in reports like this.  Easy to put out this kind of info after the fact.
Sure but what exactly does the agent gain with this report?  His client already went #1.  If this is false it would kill his credibility.  Thus, I see no real reason to disbelieve the statements.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 04:25:22 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Personally, I think the Patriots dodged a bullet here (if this report is accurate) but we really won't know the answer to that for a handful of years. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 04:30:03 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
I had a really well thought approach for helping the Patriots get Baker Mayfield...tough player who could learn from Tom Brady.

I was going to tell them to trade Jimmy Garoppolo for a first round pick to one of the high position teams in the draft and then put together a deal to get Baker Mayfield. Piece of cake right?

Then the Patriots decided to trade Jimmy Garoppolo for the 43rd pick in this year's draft, two free years of YouTube television and a $100 gift card from San Francisco based UBER which would cover Jimmy's ride from San Franciscio International Airport to 49'ers HQ where he is on his way to becoming one of the top quarterbacksa in the NFL.

I guess my idea was really stupid huh?.

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 04:37:12 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
At least according to Mayfield's agent who also confirmed that Mayfield was the Jets top target.  This matches earlier reports that a number of teams had Mayfield at the top of their draft boards and would explain why Mayfield was meeting with Patriots before the draft.  Maybe the Browns aren't so crazy after all.

I think the more interesting Patriots article that came out in the last few days was that Tom Brady will be back, plans to play at least two more years, and think Belichik in the best coach for him and the patriots the best organization he could play for. Guess all that fear mongoring from ESPN was a lot of hooey.

On playing for the Pats:

"when you've been on the same team for a long time, you have relationships for a long time, they ebb and flow like every relationship. But there are no people I'd rather play for or be committed to than the team I've been with for a long time, and really the fans and the community."

On playing for Bill:

"We've had a great relationship, a very respectful relationship for a long time. I feel like he's the best coach in the history of the NFL. He has a management style [with] players, and he would say, 'Look, I'm not the easiest coach to play for.' I agree. He's not the easiest coach to play for.

"But he's the best for me. I think what he's proven is that whatever talent he has, he maximizes his talent. What more could you ask of a coach than that? That's what I want as a player. ... He's been an incredible coach, he's been an incredible mentor to me. He's taught me so much football. To be a 22-year-old kid and come and learn from him, I wouldn't be sitting here without his coaching. I wouldn't have the success without how incredibly talented he was, along with a lot of the other coaches, a lot of the other players, a lot of the other people in the organization. Because it takes everybody to do it."

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 04:42:49 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
There are a ton of needs on the Pats no way could they afford a trade up. My shopping list in order of need

1. Two OL
2. One DL
3. Three LBs
4. One Cb
5. One WR

Less a need short term but need for future
6. One RB
7. One TE
8. One Qb

There are savior QBs every draft few live up to the hype of trading up for.