Author Topic: Re-ignition of the Celtics 76ers Rivalry  (Read 13931 times)

Re-ignition of the Celtics 76ers Rivalry
« on: April 29, 2018, 05:30:17 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 Well it's been a long time coming, but with our young upstart team and Philly's young juggernaut stepping into contention, it looks like the famed Sixer/Celtic rivalry is back.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/76ers%E2%80%93Celtics_rivalry

This is the 20th time we'll be facing off in the playoffs.  Boston has won 12 of them so far. 

This will be the most heated playoff series for the Celtics in years. There were a lot of people taking bad about the sixers process including me at times, although I generally enjoyed watching the journey.

I have the Celtics in seven, and my second pick is the sixers in seven. Let's get it on.

Re: Re-ignition of the Celtics 76ers Rivalry
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 05:55:18 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
I have some BREAKING NEWS

This urgent fax has just been sent out to the world.

My sources are telling me that in light of the re-ignition of the Sixers/Celtics rivalry, LarBrd33 is coming out of CelticsBlog retirement on a temporary 60 day contract.

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 05:57:33 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

My sources are telling me that in light of the re-ignition of the Sixers/Celtics rivalry, LarBrd33 is coming out of CelticsBlog retirement on a temporary 60 day contract.

https://streamable.com/ldpad

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 06:11:35 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
L M F A O - the prodigal son has returned! ;D TP, sirs.

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 06:16:47 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Meh. Will be an interesting series to watch, but hard to call this a "Re-ignition" when we're playing with half a team.

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 07:07:03 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Haha welcome back!

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 07:31:59 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Yes!!!  Welcome back man. Your spirit lived on with me.

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 08:10:38 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
Yes!!!  Welcome back man. Your spirit lived on with me.

For anyone that didn't watch this it's good for a chuckle.

Tps all the way around fellas! This is so awesome and the series Ive been dreaming about.

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2018, 08:15:06 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
lol

Nice.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2018, 10:22:48 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

I had visions of this day.  I had ventured beyond the wall and witnessed the looming threat in my dreams.  My warnings were ridiculed and mocked.  Proclamations of playoffs and fear-mongering of future phenoms were met with laughter.  Too risky, they said.  A “losing culture”.  The ends would not justify the means, they smirked.  Too injured…

And yet, here we are on the precipice of a renewed rivalry.   They bellow outside our gates sooner than anyone expected.  The Giant and the Gifted.  Two young Superstars and a powerful supporting cast.  The Sixers have risen. 

I warned of this. 

They have won 20 of their last 21 games.  They have ripped through the league laying waste to everything in their path.  Since January 1, 2018, they have the best record in the entire Eastern Conference (35-11).  Embiid and Ben Simmons were both Top 15 players statistically this season.  Vegas now has the 76ers as favorites to win the East.  As Bill Simmons said on his recent podcast, they are by far the most talented team in the Conference. 

Meanwhile, our hobbled team had only been the 5th best team in the East since January.  With much ado made of our culture, continuity and experience, we ironically flipped the entire roster over the Summer and in the past two games relied heavily on 4 young players with essentially no relevant playoff experience prior to the series.  With much ado made of Philly’s injury concerns, ironically our two best players (Hayward and Kyrie) played less games combined than Joel Embiid.  In your hubris, many of you neglected to realize that no team is immune to the wicked whimsy of Mother Basketball.     

When our two teams both set out to tank in 2013-14, I knew this was a possibility.  It’s been less than 5 years since Philly handed over the reigns to Sam Hinkie and signed off on his multi-year “process”.  His first significant trade trade (moving Jrue Holiday) can now be seen for the resounding success it was.  In return, they have Super Dario Saric, Richaun Holmes, multiple 2nd round picks and the restored rights to a 1st round pick they owed Orlando.  More importantly, the move (punting on the present for long-term assets) put them in a position to bottom out for Joel Embiid in the 2014 Draft.  Three straight years of tanking net them prizes of Embiid (2014), Okafor (2015) and Simmons (2016).  Statistically, having three Top 6 picks gave them an 83.5% chance of netting an all-star.  They struck gold on 2 out of 3.  Hinkie’s plan fulfilled.  He became a martyr in death, but his legacy remains.

Now, 5 years into his 3-5 year plan, the Sixers have accomplished something they had only done once since 1990 (and twice in the past 30 years) - win 50+ games.  While teams like the Knicks, Nuggests, Lakers, Magic, Suns and Kings continue to suffer through 5+ year playoff droughts, the Sixers have returned triumphantly.    While teams like the Pistons, Timberwolves, Kings, Hornets and Bucks have gone over a decade without a playoff series win, the Goliath 76ers made quick work of their 1st round opponent. 

How each team got to this point will not be remembered. 

The Sixers have returned.  They are mighty.  My fears have been justified.   

Chamberlain vs Russell.  Dr. J vs Bird.  Our glorious history of hate coloring the latest chapter in this blood feud.  Tomorrow, we embark on Round 1 of the modern 76ers/Celtics rivalry.  Our young upstart Celtics, beaten, bruised, and severely undermanned, could very well be embarrassed by this budding juggernaut.  It’s all-hands on deck, Gentlemen.   And so, I have temporarily returned to join you in this great fight.  You can never count out a team built on Celtic pride.  We will not go quietly.  We will not quit.  We will give Philadelphia Hell. 

And yes, I realize I am potentially tarnishing my own glorious legacy by returning ala-Wizards era Jordan.  As you may know, I retired out on top with a perfectly fitting 1776 Tommy Points:

But alas, the rebirth of this rivalry is too much to ignore.  I’m sure Eddie and the rest of my fans have many questions for me.  What’s it like being so right?  How does it feel to be a viral sensation to the thousands and thoouuusands of Redditors around the world?  How do I feel about the insufferably slow barren wasteland this forum became in absence of my luminous home dingers? - etc…  and I’d be happy to answer your queries in good time.

Bring on Philly/Boston.  Round 1 may very well go to the 76ers.  Assuming Hayward and Kyrie come back next season, we might strike back.  Granted, Philly has plentiful trade assets and tons of cap space to potentially add two superstars this Summer to an already dominant looking young team.  It's going to be very interesting to see where this goes. 
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 10:33:45 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2018, 10:32:36 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Can we re-visit  some classic posts from our friend?

Here’s when we drafted jaylen brown lol  ;D

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2018, 10:36:05 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Lol

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.  I know I whiffed from time to time.  For instance, I once argued that a healthy Jrue Holiday was better than Isaiah Thomas.  I'm still cleaning the egg off my face on that one ;)

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2018, 10:39:31 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

Lol

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.  I know I whiffed from time to time.  For instance, I once argued that a healthy Jrue Holiday was better than Isaiah Thomas.  I'm still cleaning the egg off my face on that one ;)
oh for sure. I’m pretty sure I hated the jaylen brown pick just like you did.

I’m going to go ahead and guess you have changed your mind since?  ;D
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 10:50:50 PM by CelticsElite »

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2018, 10:48:09 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Lol

oh for sure. I’m pretty sure I hated the jaylen brown pick just like you did.

I’m going to go ahead and guess you have changed your mind since?  ;D

I didn't hate the Jaylen Brown pick.  I was one of the first to just throw my hands up and say "... whatever, I trust Ainge". 

I repeatedly told people I don't follow College basketball.  I had hear Brown was a "poor man's  Justice Winslow"... Just repeating what my bubble tea guy had told me.  Now, look... I respect the hell out of my bubble tea guy.  He knows his stuff.  But in this instance, he seemed to be overrating Winslow's potential (something Ainge did around that time as well).   Click a few pages later in that thread and you'll see me say:

Hey if ainge likes jaylen Brown more than Noel + Covington + two late 1sts, he must be pretty special.

So I'm cool with it.   Looking forward to the next few years of waiting to see him take a leap. 

I don't bother with college basketball but here is what I love about jaylen brown - he's 19 years old and over 6'4.

Really didn't want to draft an old man guard.

most of the stuff you read heading into the draft is nonsense.  The Dunn as consensus 3rd best player narrative happened out of nowhere.  A week ago it was established that it was a crap shoot.

About Brown:

hes got some size and he's 19.  I'm happy with it.  I heard he's a poor man's Winslow.  Ainge obviously wanted a guy like that.

I really didn't want to take some 23 year old 6'3 player.   We are good on little guys. 

I was also one of the first to say the kid could end up better than Jimmy Butler if developed properly.  I felt he had a far better future having been drafted onto a winning team than being selected by a bottomfeeder where he'd learn bad habits.   He's been pretty good.  I'm still happy with the pick. 

But let's not sling mud at ol larbrd here... Let's keep the focus on this renewed Sixer/Celtic rivalry and how wonderful it is that I've blessed this forum with my semi un-retirement. 
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 10:54:54 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2018, 10:55:14 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Lol

I don't think so. IT has his health issues and holidays looked great in the first round