Author Topic: Offseason wishlist  (Read 5220 times)

Re: Offseason wishlist
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2018, 10:08:27 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
The starters are going to be Irving/Brown/Hayward/Tatum/Horford. They were in game 1 last year and that was before Brown's and Tatum's break out seasons. This year its kinda a guarantee.
Yeah, I used to think that but our recent performance has convinced me there's no player on this roster capable to cover a PF. I mean, Cleveland moved Love to PF and that sent us into complete tailspin... and  that was with Morris starting, who's bigger than Hayward.

The team has some work to do, but I wouldn't be surprised if they choose to let Smart walk, move Brown into his role, and obtain a starting-caliber big (or even just resign and start Baynes, for that matter).
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2018, 10:24:20 AM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I would like to re-sign Baynes, as he brings solid interior defense and toughness.

I was thinking about this last night, but why not go after JJ Reddick? I think you could make a reasonable sales pitch  to him to come off the bench for a championship caliber team. He will be 34 next month, so I'm not certain that he will necessarily be holding out to be a starter.

I would also like to see them extend Smart, but at a reasonable price.

I don't know the Celtics cap flexibility, but that would be my wish list.

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2018, 10:25:56 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
I would like to re-sign Baynes, as he brings solid interior defense and toughness.

I was thinking about this last night, but why not go after JJ Reddick? I think you could make a reasonable sales pitch  to him to come off the bench for a championship caliber team. He will be 34 next month, so I'm not certain that he will necessarily be holding out to be a starter.

Why would he come here to come off the bench for peanuts, when he can start for the team that took us to 7 games and get paid?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2018, 10:26:03 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
My wish list is bringing the band back and staying healthy.

Irving
Brown
Hayward
Tatum
Horford

Those are our starters. And Stevens can always leave two in all the time mitigating the need to go out and find a shooting/scorer off the bench. Also, remember, if Rozier can improve his 3 point shooting just a little bit and get to a consistent 40%, then he is your shooting, scorer off the bench.

Then for the rest of the rotation:

Rozier
Smart
Morris
Theis
Baynes

That's your ten man playoff roster and its awesome.

Then you add
Yabusele
Ojeleye
Probably our 1st round pick
And two specialty vet mins. Another true big and another PG.
that roster would pretty well work for me.  Baynes gets MLE.  Smart gets signed to a reasonable contract.  Brown, Tatum, Semi, Yabu and perhaps even Rozier develop.  Heck, maybe even Bird earns a big league deal (maybe enough of an improvement to move Rozier).

Our 1st rounder is pretty late so unlikely to make a contribution.  not unreasonable to think Danny can pick up 1 to 2 decent vet min guys wanting a sure path to the finals through the East.

« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2018, 10:35:58 AM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 15
The starters are going to be Irving/Brown/Hayward/Tatum/Horford. They were in game 1 last year and that was before Brown's and Tatum's break out seasons. This year its kinda a guarantee.
Yeah, I used to think that but our recent performance has convinced me there's no player on this roster capable to cover a PF. I mean, Cleveland moved Love to PF and that sent us into complete tailspin... and  that was with Morris starting, who's bigger than Hayward.

The team has some work to do, but I wouldn't be surprised if they choose to let Smart walk, move Brown into his role, and obtain a starting-caliber big (or even just resign and start Baynes, for that matter).

So we are going to have Tatum go against gannis, Saric, love, Kristaps, Ibaka, And Durant? I just don't understand why people are big on Tatum starting as PF In my opinion it's a huge disadvantage and a disservice to his talents. Have him be the wing off the bench so when he comes in he can do whatever he wants and find a true big to handle those guys.

« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2018, 10:45:05 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I don't get your assumption that Hayward will need to start off the year slowly and have his minutes ramped up. The team has said he will be ready to go next season and there wilk be an entire training camp and preseason to get him up to speed. But even if that is true, I don't get why he needs to come off the bench. Start him and just play him less minutes. The starters are going to be Irving/Brown/Hayward/Tatum/Horford. They were in game 1 last year and that was before Brown's and Tatum's break out seasons. This year its kinda a guarantee.
Point 1, basing it largely on how Paul George recovered.  I have no medical knowledge of how it will be for Hayward but it does not feel to me that he will be ready for 35 min/gm right off the bat.

Point 2, you may be right but if that is the decision on the starting line up for the Celtics, I don't agree with it (and it would be really stunning to me if Stevens has already decided who will start next season even though you certainly have already decided for him).  It is not enough size.  Somebody has to play out of position.

I conceded that there would be some periods with this or a similar small line up and if you want to start the game with that, than OK but usually the small line ups are worked in later in the game based on match ups or to change the tempo of the game.  I like that line up for short, strategic stretches but not as the main rotation. 

I believe that it would be ideal for the team and to afford the coach the maximum flexibility, if Hayward became the 6th man and rotate the 3 wings so that there are always at least 2 of them on the floor.  Rozier is in the mix as back-up PG plus 3 other bigs (Theis, Baynes, and someone new I hope) in addition to Horford.  Then you have all the end of the bench players to include some wing insurance hopefully plus Semi, Yabusele, etc. 

I omit Smart because I suspect he will sign elsewhere.  I love Marcus and would keep him over Rozier all things equal but we don't have room for both at $14M so we shall see.
Except I didn't decide for him, he decided himself, last opening night when he started Irving/Brown/Hayward/Tatum/Horford. Again, at the time neither Brown nor Tatum were proven, yet that was the lineup. Now that they are proven, its just logical that that will be the starting lineup given we won't be adding anyone to supplant those 5.

Also, Paul George hurt himself then tried to come back in 8 months and was pretty limited. By the time the next season started, he was back to being his old self. Hayward won't be returning to play until an entire year has passed, not 8 months. He will be fine come opening night.

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2018, 10:50:12 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

In the playoffs, where matchups rule in 7 game series, I can understand your point, but during the regular season, with that potent of an offensive lineup, let the opposition adjust to you not you to the competition. The defense, even with Tatum at PF, will still be top notch.

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2018, 10:52:23 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

In the playoffs, where matchups rule in 7 game series, I can understand your point, but during the regular season, with that potent of an offensive lineup, let the opposition adjust to you not you to the competition. The defense, even with Tatum at PF, will still be top notch.
Maybe. But I don't think Brown and Tatum will do much for our offense without the ball, so in this sense I view having 4 scorers in the starting lineup as more of a liability than an asset, especially when it comes at the cost of defense and rebounding.

« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2018, 11:03:59 AM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

Why would he come here to come off the bench for peanuts, when he can start for the team that took us to 7 games and get paid?

I thought this was a wish list. What team are you talking about? Milwaukee has virtually the same payroll as Boston next season, and Cleveland has the highest payroll in the league.

« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2018, 11:23:46 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
We should try to get Dewayne Dedmon to replace Baynes. He plays similar to Capela but has a 3pt shot.

I would ideally like to roll out with this lineup next season:
Irving / Rozier
Brown / Smart
Hayward / Ojeyele
Tatum / Theis
Horford / Dedmon

« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2018, 11:34:08 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

I thought this was a wish list. What team are you talking about? Milwaukee has virtually the same payroll as Boston next season, and Cleveland has the highest payroll in the league.
Oops, wrong series... That's embarrassing :P

« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2018, 11:45:23 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
- fire Danny Ainge, and all the clowns in his circle

- trade Tatum, Hayward and Irving for future assets

- rebuild with a guy in charge who knows what he's doing
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2018, 11:47:30 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
- fire Danny Ainge, and all the clowns in his circle

- trade Tatum, Hayward and Irving for future assets

- rebuild with a guy in charge who knows what he's doing
Finally, some reasoned, clearly thought out logical ideas!! /thread right here
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)