Author Topic: 2018 NFL Draft thread  (Read 12839 times)

Re: 2018 NFL Draft thread
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2018, 12:44:23 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
My Ravens with a quality 1st round. 

Cowboys in need of a TE as it looks like Witten is going to become the Monday Night Football Analyst for ESPN.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2018, 12:50:24 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I really hope the Patriots are able to get Josh Jackson, Oliver, or Carlton Davis with their first 2nd rounder. I'd even be able to be talked into Harold Landry or Lorenzo Carter.
#JKJB

« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2018, 12:55:45 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
They drafted Sony PlayStation (RB) from georgia

I'm convinced belichick is drafting the entire Georgia team this year

Hah.  Hope Lorenzo Carter is next.
I'd actually like that.

Carter terrorized Mike McGlinchey who was a top 10 pick at tackle.

If we go Nick Chubb we'd get to keep three roommates together which would be funny.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2018, 01:10:59 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Pats traded their 3rd round pick (#95) to Niners for OT Trent Brown and pick #143.

« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2018, 01:17:35 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Hoping Pats pick up that Richmond quarterback. Probably gone by end of 2nd round.

Can also see them signing the Princeton QB a UFA, or late round pick, for development.

« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2018, 01:22:15 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Pats traded their 3rd round pick (#95) to Niners for OT Trent Brown and pick #143.
Coming off an injury he showed up to camp at 400 pounds.

He's injury prone and has motivation questions but he's one of the best pass-blocking tackles in the entire league.

Von Miller waxes poetic about his abilities.

He struggled in the run game in SF but there's some optimism that his struggles were more scheme driven and he'd do better in NE.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2018, 01:58:05 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Another first round in the books, another year of wondering what the Browns were thinking. 

Ritual of spring. 

DEN got Chubb gift-wrapped to them. With him & Miller, that's potentially devastating 1-2 punch. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2018, 02:11:12 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
Another first round in the books, another year of wondering what the Browns were thinking. 

Ritual of spring. 

DEN got Chubb gift-wrapped to them. With him & Miller, that's potentially devastating 1-2 punch.

I don't know a lot of college football in general, or this last season in particular, but it seemed to me that Chubb was the most impactful player available. Can't believe Denver got him.

And yeah, I can't believe the Browns once again spent their top pick on a QB, because that's gone so well for them in the past.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2018, 02:14:26 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I don't understand why any team that's been at the bottom of the standings for a while doesn't just focus on adding the best talent available to their offensive and defensive lines and then try to find some steals at the skill positions later in the draft, undrafted, or among veteran free agents.

Drafting a QB or RB high in the draft just seems like a crapshoot.  If you've already got a supremely talented team on both sides of the ball and you're just lacking a centerpiece of your offense, fine.  But if you're a team that lacks a foundation, I don't get it.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2018, 02:16:02 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Ritual of spring. 

I don't know a lot of college football in general, or this last season in particular, but it seemed to me that Chubb was the most impactful player available. Can't believe Denver got him.

And yeah, I can't believe the Browns once again spent their top pick on a QB, because that's gone so well for them in the past.

They needed to address the QB situation.  They had to.  Just going with Mayfield there at #1 was head-scratching.  He certainly would've been there at #4.  I just think they botched the situation they had in front of them (having #1 & #4) and came nowhere near maximizing the value they had there.   Ward over Chubb was eyeopening, also. 

Both of these kids may pan out in the end.  My initial reaction, though, is that they flubbed it again.  Who knows, though?  The crap really is a crapshoot.

Who would've thought the Jets would've fumbled their way into Darnold, though?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2018, 02:21:26 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Ritual of spring. 

They needed to address the QB situation.  They had to.  Just going with Mayfield there at #1 was head-scratching.  He certainly would've been there at #4.  I just think they botched the situation they had in front of them (having #1 & #4) and came nowhere near maximizing the value they had there.   Ward over Chubb was eyeopening, also. 

Both of these kids may pan out in the end.  My initial reaction, though, is that they flubbed it again.  Who knows, though?  The crap really is a crapshoot.

It is possible that if the Browns would have taken Barkley that the Giants would have either traded the pick or taken Darnold, thus leaving Mayfield for the Jets.

« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2018, 03:04:25 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Ritual of spring. 

It is possible that if the Browns would have taken Barkley that the Giants would have either traded the pick or taken Darnold, thus leaving Mayfield for the Jets.

If the unlikely event that happened, the Browns still would have had the best player in the draft and another really good QB prospect.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2018, 03:10:15 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Ritual of spring. 

If the unlikely event that happened, the Browns still would have had the best player in the draft and another really good QB prospect.
Sure, but if they felt Mayfield was the best QB in the draft, they wouldn't have gotten their man.  And frankly I can totally see the rationale for a guy like Mayfield.  The accuracy, the high level of success (including big games), the control of the football, etc.  Really the only knock on him is his size, and two of the 5ish best QB's in the world right now are of a similar size (Brees and Wilson), so I don't see why that would stop you from taking him. 

Ward is the pick that doesn't make a lot of sense.  You should never be drafting for need (outside of QB) when you are drafting in the top 10.  Always take the best player available (again outside of QB), and while Ward was the best DB in the draft, Chubb seems pretty clearly to be a better prospect (and frankly a better prospect from a more valuable position). 

« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2018, 03:13:19 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I don't understand why any team that's been at the bottom of the standings for a while doesn't just focus on adding the best talent available to their offensive and defensive lines and then try to find some steals at the skill positions later in the draft, undrafted, or among veteran free agents.

Drafting a QB or RB high in the draft just seems like a crapshoot.  If you've already got a supremely talented team on both sides of the ball and you're just lacking a centerpiece of your offense, fine.  But if you're a team that lacks a foundation, I don't get it.

Almost all starting QBs are taken in the first round. I understand why teams focus on the position.  The Browns taking this particular QB is the issue, not that they spent a high pick on the position.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2018, 03:24:58 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Ritual of spring. 

Sure, but if they felt Mayfield was the best QB in the draft, they wouldn't have gotten their man.  And frankly I can totally see the rationale for a guy like Mayfield.  The accuracy, the high level of success (including big games), the control of the football, etc.  Really the only knock on him is his size, and two of the 5ish best QB's in the world right now are of a similar size (Brees and Wilson), so I don't see why that would stop you from taking him. 

Ward is the pick that doesn't make a lot of sense.  You should never be drafting for need (outside of QB) when you are drafting in the top 10.  Always take the best player available (again outside of QB), and while Ward was the best DB in the draft, Chubb seems pretty clearly to be a better prospect (and frankly a better prospect from a more valuable position).

Agree on Ward.

Disagree on Mayfield. In addition to the size, there’s his attitude, questions about running a pro-style, drop back offense, average arm strength and footwork, etc.