Author Topic: LeBlock Gate  (Read 6578 times)

Re: LeBlock Gate
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2018, 11:25:44 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
It was undeniably a goaltend and changed the outcome of the game.  Had the refs counted the basket Lebron doesn't have the luxury of taking a zero pressure 28 footer because they'd be down 2 and a miss results in a 3-2 series deficit.  But because the refs ignored the goaltend and the game was tied it was a no-lose situation for Lebron.  A miss still gives them OT and the make wins it.  And on the Oladipo drive Lebron can be seen grabbing his arm on the way up so technically it could have been an AND 1.  But it's the NBA and they don't want to see and Indiana vs Toronto/Wiz series in round 2.
It undeniably was a goaltend and undeniably altered the SCORE of the game.  Unfortunately we’ll never know what the outcome would have been if the call had been different.  And the refs didn’t let Lebron goaltend.  Was a bang bang play that was very very difficult.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 11:38:47 PM by droopdog7 »

« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2018, 11:31:16 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 987
That was the call that will enrout LeBron James to the NBA Finals.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2018, 11:36:01 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
im not in favor of giving coaches challenges to use throughout the game like then NFL does, HOWEVER.  I do think that inside of the final 2 minutes of the game, if a team has a timeout left, they can take said timeout and ask the officials to review any reviewable play.  if youre not responsible  with your timeouts and you have none left, then youre at the mercy of the the current rules like this one where the play wouldnt be reviewable bc theres no dead ball
Coaches challenges would have many of the same issues as the current rule.  You’re certainly not going to let a coach challenge while the play is live.  Can you imagine a coach running on the court to stop a fast break?  And once the next play has happened, you are not going to review a challenge and undo what happened afterwards.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 09:46:27 AM by droopdog7 »

« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2018, 11:32:12 AM »

Offline greenrunsdeep41

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 152
I’ll start off by saying I’m as big of a lebron hater as anyone.

But, it isn’t clear that was a goaltend. The rule clearly states that a ball that hits the backboard before being blocked is a goal-tend if it is ABOVE the ring.

From my POV it is not clear that ball was above the rim.
2019 Historical Draft - Golden State

C - Bill Russell/Joel Embiid
PF - Giannis Antetokounmpo/Tommy Heinsohn
SF - Kevin Durant/Billy Cunningham
SG - Bruce Bowen/David Thompson
PG - Isiah Thomas/James Harden

« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2018, 12:39:32 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532

But, it isn’t clear that was a goaltend. The rule clearly states that a ball that hits the backboard before being blocked is a goal-tend if it is ABOVE the ring.

the league already confirmed it was a goaltend.  They also confirmed that Indiana never should have had possession to begin with though.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2018, 12:43:12 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697

It doesn’t have to be above the rim. The rule is, if it hits the glass first and is then blocked, it’s a goaltend

« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2018, 12:51:06 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532

It doesn’t have to be above the rim. The rule is, if it hits the glass first and is then blocked, it’s a goaltend
you are both sort of correct as their are two separate rules for blocking a ball after it touches the backboard.

d. During a field goal attempt, touch a ball after it has touched any part of the backboard above ring level, whether the ball is considered on its upward or downward flight.

e. During a field goal attempt, touch a ball after it has touched the backboard below the ring level and while the ball is on its upward flight.

In either case, the block was a goal tend. 

My personal opinion (as I've stated in this thread) is Rule E should be eliminated.  If the ball is still going up you should be allowed to block it even if it hit the backboard first as that would make it like any other position on the floor. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2018, 12:53:51 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Are the NBA defenders watching? This is why these stars are larger than life..they are allowed to foul on offense and defense, and now they can goaltend too....no wonder LeBlock makes NBA all defense teams..

I mean, in real time there was zero percent chance they could tell if that was on the glass or not, and they can't review it under the current rules.

Even in super slow, 60 FPS slo mo, the ball barley gets to the glass before he blocks it. I think your asking a bit much for an official to determine in real time if that ball touched on it's own before Lebron swatted the hell out of it.

Now, if you want to say the NBA refs suck, i agree in general. 

If you want to say that the call should have been reviewable as well.....eh. I think we've given wayyyyy to much to replay and sorry, sometimes human error is part of sports. All of the sudden we would have replay review on every stinking play in the final two minutes.

I'm having a hard time working up outrage on this particular call for the above reason.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2018, 01:41:40 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
Are the NBA defenders watching? This is why these stars are larger than life..they are allowed to foul on offense and defense, and now they can goaltend too....no wonder LeBlock makes NBA all defense teams..

I mean, in real time there was zero percent chance they could tell if that was on the glass or not, and they can't review it under the current rules.

Even in super slow, 60 FPS slo mo, the ball barley gets to the glass before he blocks it. I think your asking a bit much for an official to determine in real time if that ball touched on it's own before Lebron swatted the hell out of it.

Now, if you want to say the NBA refs suck, i agree in general. 

If you want to say that the call should have been reviewable as well.....eh. I think we've given wayyyyy to much to replay and sorry, sometimes human error is part of sports. All of the sudden we would have replay review on every stinking play in the final two minutes.

I'm having a hard time working up outrage on this particular call for the above reason.
Youre absolutely right, except I don’t think I general the refs suck.  They’re the best in the world, which more than anything shows you how difficult the job is.  Of course, the typical fan has no perception.  Players make mistakes, coaches makes mistakes, yet refs are expected to be perfect?  Makes no sense whatsoever.

I mean, I’m cool with some replay but oftent it takes away from the experience, which is why we watch (not just the outcome).