Author Topic: Who's the biggest Celtics killer ?  (Read 3674 times)

Re: Who's the biggest Celtics killer ?
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2018, 01:32:46 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
If we're going by stars, it HAS to be Lebron for the past decade.  There really isn't anyone else that's close.

You are definitely correct if you include stars. LeBron has been the toughest opponent.

The OP's original post though...
" You know, these players that can are often role players, sometimes even scrubs, but who, for whatever reason, play lights out against the Celtics and thus that you are really worried about when they are on the court ?"

LeBron played lights out against every team in the League almost all the time. If we are including stars, then just about any SA Spur starter would fit the bill.(Since we only played SA twice a year we say LeBron. Playing the Spurs 4 times a year we might feel Tim Duncan would get our vote.

I'm aware of that.  Hence, my earlier post on K-Mart & Kittles.  This convo keeps drifting into star territory.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2018, 01:57:28 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
If we're going by stars, it HAS to be Lebron for the past decade.  There really isn't anyone else that's close.

You are definitely correct if you include stars. LeBron has been the toughest opponent.

The OP's original post though...
" You know, these players that can are often role players, sometimes even scrubs, but who, for whatever reason, play lights out against the Celtics and thus that you are really worried about when they are on the court ?"

LeBron played lights out against every team in the League almost all the time. If we are including stars, then just about any SA Spur starter would fit the bill.(Since we only played SA twice a year we say LeBron. Playing the Spurs 4 times a year we might feel Tim Duncan would get our vote.

I'm aware of that.  Hence, my earlier post on K-Mart & Kittles.  This convo keeps drifting into star territory.

Sorry, I agree the topic keeps drifting. Can't keep track of who posts what sometimes. The old usenet alt.sports...celtics forums were better for that.

« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2018, 08:26:52 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
No one on here old enough to remember Andrew Toney?

yup. very well with the sixers. he played college ball not far from me.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2018, 06:52:13 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
It was only one playoff series. Some things you never forget... Bullets vs. Celtics 1975. Bullets win in 6.

Keep in mind this was in an era when you were allowed to play defense and there wasn't a 3 point shot to offset accurate 2 point shooting.

Nick Weatherspoon - Washington Bullets 1975 playoffs.

Game 2   FG 9/13  =69.2%
Game 4   FG 8/10  =80%
Game 6   FG 7/11  = 63.6%

Nick's shooting in games 1,3 and 5 was somewhat unremarkable.  FG  10/21 =47.6%

FYI: Nick died in 2008

Not to take anything away from Kris Middleton. He's on fire this entire series and definitely killing the Celtics. Here are his numbers.

Game 1   FG 12/20 = 60%    3P    5/7 = 71.4%  eFG = 72.5%

Game 2   FG 10/14 = 71.4%  3P    4/6 = 66.7%      eFG = 85.7% (edited)

Game 3  FG 10/17 = 58.8%   3P    3/6 = 50%    eFG = 67.6%

Game 4  FG  8/14 = 57.1%    3P     3/5 = 60%    eFG = 67.9%

Game 5  FG  9/21 = 42.9%     3P    3/6 = 50%    eFG = 50.0%

Game 6  FG  7/8 =  87.5 %      3P 2/2  = 100%   eFG = 100%

« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 07:09:03 AM by Alleyoopster »

« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2018, 07:25:17 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Magic who I would be fine loosing to (sort of)
Andrew Toney. Both of these guys is reason red went after DJ
Isiah Thomas led those cheap pistons to some victories that truly killed me.  Hated a large portion of that team
Bernard King would regularly scorch us but I'm not sure I would call him a killer as our team was better
Kareem as a Buck & Laker

As long as it isn't the 2018 Bucks!!

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2018, 09:49:19 AM »

Offline umpacu

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 28
Assuming this only refers to role players (so, no LeBron, Magic, etc), I gotta say that Malcolm Brogdon always seems to play great against us. I know the key to this series has been Middleton so far, but I think he always was a very good player and usually underrated.

But Brogdon, even though he's good, it feels like every time he plays us, he makes a clutch shot.