Author Topic: Semi Ojeleye outstanding defense  (Read 18027 times)

Re: Semi Ojeleye outstanding defense
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2018, 11:46:53 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
I forgot that the #37 pick was acquired in the Brandan Wright trade with PHX. Just looked it up. One of those protected first round picks that became two seconds...  :D

Thank you Brandan Wright!

« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2018, 11:50:31 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Giannis never had the same aggression when Ojeleye was guarding him.  He'd either shoot jumpshots or try to facilitate. 

Proud of the kid.  He has really struggled with his offense this year, but he stepped up in his first playoff series, took on an impossible assignment, and did a better job at it than everybody else we tried.
i agree. ojeleye did about as good a defensive job on antetokounmpo as one could expect, especially for a rookie.

i wonder if CBS will sic ojeleye on simmons in the next round. neither simmons nor antetokounmpo can shoot, so maybe it would work again.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2018, 12:06:03 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
His defense was incredible.

What was also incredible is that the Celtics managed to get so many points in the paint when GIannis was playing way, way off Ojeleye. I mean, Semi was out in the corner behind the three-point line, and Giannis was down on the block. And somehow we would drive the ball to the cup. Amazing. Total opposite of game six.

« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2018, 12:08:24 AM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
Wonder where he goes in a redraft. Gotta be a first round pick by now.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2018, 12:13:05 AM »

Online SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1956
Semi is an unsung hero of the series.  He's a big reason we won games 5 and 7. 

There was one play tonight in particular that stood out among his many strong defensive plays - Giannis was storming down the court in transition and made it all the way to the basket, sidestepping Horford in the process for a left-handed layup.  But right before he elevated to shoot, Semi rushed over to help and stood vertically with his hands up which was enough to make Giannis miss.  It was a Marcus Smart caliber play - a type of play that only players who truly excel at defense can execute in an NBA game.

I've criticized Semi this season despite low expectations (being a second round pick and all), but I never disliked the pick.  We got solid value at 37.  His defensive versatility is a great thing to have on the bench.

« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2018, 12:24:09 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Semi isn't unsung by the people that matter, just watch their post-games.

Great job youngin, we needed that!!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2018, 01:16:01 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Can't believe the 2nd round rookie helped us get past the Greek freak

« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2018, 01:29:03 AM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
I gave him credit last game, but he really needs to brings something, anything, to the table offensively. We can't continue to play 4 on 5 on that end, while Giannis sags off him and is able to help out on penetration. It wouldn't be as much of an issue if his non-existent offense was alongside Irving and Hayward, but it compounds the problem when we have so much difficulty to generate offense (37% shooting tonight) as is.
Lol do we have to bring back the thread where this guy called Semi trash and a bum?

You most certainly can. His statical performance, if not the eye test alone, would support the opinion that he was a really bad player (aka bum) for the 17-18 season. That said, since I've seen you use your fantasy basketball trades to assess real world player value (I wish I were kidding), then can you please explain what return you'll get from Semi's 2.7 PPG on 34.6% shooting?
It's creepy that you would bring up posts between me and other users that you weren't a part of, especially when you're making false claims. I posted about our Mock Deadline here in response to posters who know how to be respectful and have a conversation. It was just a fun talking piece. Since you're incapable of having that, I understand why you're getting confused.

As for Semi, I am very happy we have him at the end of the bench. His defense on Giannis helped us win this series. Certainly no reason for any sane Celtics fan to call him a bum. But you strike me as more of a just a troll.

You made an idiotic comment/comparison so it really stood out. Remembered reading it and thinking you didn't really know what you're talking about.

As for Semi, yeah, I just don't think he's a very good player. Not sure why you consider that "trolling", unless of course a difference of opinion makes one a troll in your eyes. All benches are full of bad players and unless he becomes more than just a one trick pony that's a disaster offensively, I'll continue to have the same mindset regardless of what you may think, fantasy basketball trade examples notwithstanding.
No, I made a comment on a Celtics fans message board that was about a trade proposal. That's what this website is for. It's not here to call the players who just helped win us a series bums. It's not to here to seek out arguments and continue to argue until you ruin a thread.

But go ahead, keep calling the guy who just helped your "favorite" team win a series trash. That is why you're either a troll or just a pathetic exuse of a "fan", if you'd even call it that lol.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2018, 01:32:57 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Can't believe the 2nd round rookie helped us get past the Greek freak

It is pretty crazy huh?  You have to give Semi credit though, he played great one on one def against the greek.  He limited him in getting to the circle area around the bucket, and forced him to take a lot of fade away shots (which to his credit Giannis did pretty well with). 

« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2018, 05:45:01 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
just an amazing job today, and talk about a 2nd round pick who barely played in the season, steps up, takes 30 minutes in a 7 game series...
bravo semi, bravo danny. bravo brad
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2018, 06:41:39 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
just an amazing job today, and talk about a 2nd round pick who barely played in the season, steps up, takes 30 minutes in a 7 game series...
bravo semi, bravo danny. bravo brad

Ainge tends to see potential that other GMs miss.   Some times he blows it like on Nader and Sully, but most of the time he is right.

« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2018, 07:22:56 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Nader was 58s so i'm ok with a bench player ceiling
He didn't have that physical but he does has some skill and the fire
Remember he missed 4 freethrow in the raw? today he knock down 2 in playoff game 7.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 07:31:59 AM by playdream »

« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2018, 07:42:45 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I gave him credit last game, but he really needs to brings something, anything, to the table offensively. We can't continue to play 4 on 5 on that end, while Giannis sags off him and is able to help out on penetration. It wouldn't be as much of an issue if his non-existent offense was alongside Irving and Hayward, but it compounds the problem when we have so much difficulty to generate offense (37% shooting tonight) as is.
Lol do we have to bring back the thread where this guy called Semi trash and a bum?

You most certainly can. His statical performance, if not the eye test alone, would support the opinion that he was a really bad player (aka bum) for the 17-18 season. That said, since I've seen you use your fantasy basketball trades to assess real world player value (I wish I were kidding), then can you please explain what return you'll get from Semi's 2.7 PPG on 34.6% shooting?
It's creepy that you would bring up posts between me and other users that you weren't a part of, especially when you're making false claims. I posted about our Mock Deadline here in response to posters who know how to be respectful and have a conversation. It was just a fun talking piece. Since you're incapable of having that, I understand why you're getting confused.

As for Semi, I am very happy we have him at the end of the bench. His defense on Giannis helped us win this series. Certainly no reason for any sane Celtics fan to call him a bum. But you strike me as more of a just a troll.

You made an idiotic comment/comparison so it really stood out. Remembered reading it and thinking you didn't really know what you're talking about.

As for Semi, yeah, I just don't think he's a very good player. Not sure why you consider that "trolling", unless of course a difference of opinion makes one a troll in your eyes. All benches are full of bad players and unless he becomes more than just a one trick pony that's a disaster offensively, I'll continue to have the same mindset regardless of what you may think, fantasy basketball trade examples notwithstanding.
No, I made a comment on a Celtics fans message board that was about a trade proposal. That's what this website is for. It's not here to call the players who just helped win us a series bums. It's not to here to seek out arguments and continue to argue until you ruin a thread.

But go ahead, keep calling the guy who just helped your "favorite" team win a series trash. That is why you're either a troll or just a pathetic exuse of a "fan", if you'd even call it that lol.

Hey, kettle meet pot, since your first post in this thread was about me even after I had complimented the guy.

« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2018, 07:44:35 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
I'm one of his biggest critic, mostly his motor. But overall he played very well in the series, motor is not Smart level but its not bad. Hope he continues playing well because it relieves pressure from other guys. Helps to have an additional player you can count on.

« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2018, 08:05:27 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
wonder who Semi will defend on Philly ?