Author Topic: Semi Ojeleye outstanding defense  (Read 18029 times)

Re: Semi Ojeleye outstanding defense
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2018, 02:08:46 AM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
Semi plays 31 minutes Giannis gets 16 points = W

Semi plays 22 minutes Giannis gets 31 points = L

We need Semi against the Bucks!
That's an oversimplification. Semi did not hold Giannis to 16 points, it was a lot of things that went into that. Giannis was trying to get his teammates involved, it was a road game for the Bucks, and both teams have played worse on the road. The Celts simply cannot score enough if Semi is getting major minutes, what he does on defense isn't enough to make up for that. The reason Semi played fewer minutes is that he wasn't able to stop Giannis, and his complete lack of any contribution on the offensive end made it unwise to keep him in down the stretch. The Celts didn't lose game 6 because their defense on Giannis wasn't good enough, they lost because their offense wasn't good enough. Semi doesn't help with that.

Of course it is an oversimplification but Semi stays in front of, puts a body on and man on man makes Giannis work more than anyone else  we have. 
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2018, 02:32:32 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Semi has done a fine job on Giannis but the Freak still had 31 points on 23 shots last night. We're not talking about the value of shutting down the opposition's best player we're talking about the value of playing him as well as anyone else but where he still puts up MVP numbers.

If that's the case, I need to see more than 1 FGA in 21 minutes. Maybe he was told "Don't worry about shooting" but if you're on the court, you're a basketball player. I'd like to see Semi try a little more than what we've seen.

That's the conundrum, though.

Does Semi's defense that has "limited" Giannis to 23.5 PPG, 12 RPG, 6.5 APG, on 54.5% over his 2 starts outweigh his series averages of 1.7 PPG on disastrous shooting (FG% 23.1 - 3PT% 22.2)?

I'd say it's worth it, slow down to centerpiece of their offense

« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2018, 05:37:58 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Semi aren't going to force things in his rookie playoffs, it will be turnover nightmares
and i take Genmis 31 points on 23 shots anyday, that said he did his job

« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2018, 08:30:17 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

On the other hand, our biggest win of the series (by 14 in game 2) occurred when Semi only played 1 minute. Since this was before Smart returned our rotation was basically 8 guys - Horford, Tatum, Baynes, Rozier, and Brown with Morris, Monroe, and Larkin off the bench.

In 41 Game 2 minutes, Monroe and Baynes combined for 18 pts, 10 reb, 3 blk, on 8 for 13 from the field. That said, I do think Monroe hasn't been used too well this series. We know firsthand that Zeller simply can't cover him, but we've basically let them get away with that matchup by not going inside to Monroe and going right after Zeller. This is a different approach than the Bucks seem to have. For example, as soon as blood is in the water (i.e. Larkin is in the game) they actively look to get his man involved in PNR to have Larkin switch on Middleton. That's resulted in some really easy scores that are crucial in these tightly contested games.

So the simply things, I would love to see how a shortened rotation, one that didn't include Semi, would look considering our offensive deficiencies in the half-court. Say Horford, Tatum, Baynes, Rozier, and Brown with Smart and Morris off the bench.

Larkin - very limited minutes guy to apply full-court pressure on Delly, but only when Middleton is not in the game alongside him.

Monroe - mirror him with minutes against Zeller. Exploit that mismatch and go right after Zeller on every play. That's exactly what the Bucks did to the Raptors during last season's playoffs and it worked regularly. In 23.5 MPG Monroe averaged 13.2 PPG and 7.3 RPG on 52.9% from the field while feasting against Toronto's backup bigs.

« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2018, 10:15:14 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Semi has done a fine job on Giannis but the Freak still had 31 points on 23 shots last night. We're not talking about the value of shutting down the opposition's best player we're talking about the value of playing him as well as anyone else but where he still puts up MVP numbers.

If that's the case, I need to see more than 1 FGA in 21 minutes. Maybe he was told "Don't worry about shooting" but if you're on the court, you're a basketball player. I'd like to see Semi try a little more than what we've seen.

That's the conundrum, though.

Does Semi's defense that has "limited" Giannis to 23.5 PPG, 12 RPG, 6.5 APG, on 54.5% over his 2 starts outweigh his series averages of 1.7 PPG on disastrous shooting (FG% 23.1 - 3PT% 22.2)?

I'd say it's worth it, slow down to centerpiece of their offense

It just isn't that simple.  Giannis can/will get his numbers but I believe the other players will determine whether or not the Bucks win.  The Freak has been a minus in the box score for 4 out of the 6 games in the series.  His most efficient game was our biggest blow out win. 

Middleton and Parker cannot BOTH impact the game like they have recently.  The Middleton part is more difficult to control because he makes tough shots routinely.  He's a winning player IMO.  The best we can do is force him take a bunch of tough shots. 

As for Parker, his presence off the bench has made things very difficult for the Celtics.  Mediocre defense aside, Parker gives the Bucks another weapon who can score in different ways.  He's been a significant positive since game 2.  They always seem to go on some sort of run when he is in the game.

At the end of the day we can survive Giannis getting 30+ points.  Hopefully the Celtics hold Middleton to something similar to his game 5 performance.

« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2018, 03:00:17 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
I just watched most of 3rd quarter as Celts were coming back and Semi played unbelievable defense Yannis  can't get to hoop but scores on a fall away  and then there was a steal by semi and then Bledsoe beat his man badly and semi spotted it and semi slid over and bledsoe wanted no part of him-saved a basket.
Here is a rookie starting in playoffs doing and outstanding job-yet there are those just sniping-He is necessary in the playoffs with impossible to budge stance ,his ability to keep up with guards--he has one job wear down Yannis-i haven't seen him be turnover prone ,good pace on his passes
.One of the toughest players to guard in the league and he drew those charges that were bad calls the other night
Yannis with a full head of steam scores on eurostep- semi to bench Yannis carves up Baynes  Semi back in a Yannis gives it up on perimeter.
From what i have just watched, Yannis wants no part of Semi except in transition .Now for 4th quarter.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 03:05:56 PM by rollie mass »

« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2018, 03:17:33 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

On the other hand, our biggest win of the series (by 14 in game 2) occurred when Semi only played 1 minute. Since this was before Smart returned our rotation was basically 8 guys - Horford, Tatum, Baynes, Rozier, and Brown with Morris, Monroe, and Larkin off the bench.

In 41 Game 2 minutes, Monroe and Baynes combined for 18 pts, 10 reb, 3 blk, on 8 for 13 from the field. That said, I do think Monroe hasn't been used too well this series. We know firsthand that Zeller simply can't cover him, but we've basically let them get away with that matchup by not going inside to Monroe and going right after Zeller. This is a different approach than the Bucks seem to have. For example, as soon as blood is in the water (i.e. Larkin is in the game) they actively look to get his man involved in PNR to have Larkin switch on Middleton. That's resulted in some really easy scores that are crucial in these tightly contested games.

So the simply things, I would love to see how a shortened rotation, one that didn't include Semi, would look considering our offensive deficiencies in the half-court. Say Horford, Tatum, Baynes, Rozier, and Brown with Smart and Morris off the bench.

Larkin - very limited minutes guy to apply full-court pressure on Delly, but only when Middleton is not in the game alongside him.

Monroe - mirror him with minutes against Zeller. Exploit that mismatch and go right after Zeller on every play. That's exactly what the Bucks did to the Raptors during last season's playoffs and it worked regularly. In 23.5 MPG Monroe averaged 13.2 PPG and 7.3 RPG on 52.9% from the field while feasting against Toronto's backup bigs.

Munroe has been horrible. He's out of shape and his game isn't ready for playoff intensity.

« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2018, 03:41:36 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
I just watched most of 3rd quarter as Celts were coming back and Semi played unbelievable defense Yannis  can't get to hoop but scores on a fall away  and then there was a steal by semi and then Bledsoe beat his man badly and semi spotted it and semi slid over and bledsoe wanted no part of him-saved a basket.
Here is a rookie starting in playoffs doing and outstanding job-yet there are those just sniping-He is necessary in the playoffs with impossible to budge stance ,his ability to keep up with guards--he has one job wear down Yannis-i haven't seen him be turnover prone ,good pace on his passes
.One of the toughest players to guard in the league and he drew those charges that were bad calls the other night
Yannis with a full head of steam scores on eurostep- semi to bench Yannis carves up Baynes  Semi back in a Yannis gives it up on perimeter.
From what i have just watched, Yannis wants no part of Semi except in transition .Now for 4th quarter.

I am hoping Brad saw what you did rollie.  Semi plays great D vs Giannis!

4th quarter will be interesting my memory is that Semi played very little in the 4th.

TP
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 03:58:44 PM by feckless »
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2018, 04:41:47 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

After you watch the game you should consider re-reading this thread, since at no point did anyone say he's not doing a fine job on defense. However, the issue isn't his defense it's that despite his defense on Giannis, Giannis is still going to put up monster numbers and then Semi makes us play 4 on 5 on at the other end. Now, if you aren't willing to admit that he's an awful offensive player then it's useless to even entertain  a discussion.

Who really cares that Semi is a rookie? Is that a moral victory? Because I see rookies across the league performing at a high level (see Simmons, Mitchell). Besides, Semi is actually older than Giannis.

Re: Semi Ojeleye outstanding defense AGAIN
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2018, 09:15:14 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Not in the first half semi owns him--it must eat the semi haters up-a rookie starting -this is the no motor guy
Semi has only one thing on his mind make it tough on yannis
Yannis is just not used to that strength and quickness

« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2018, 10:27:41 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
I gave him credit last game, but he really needs to brings something, anything, to the table offensively. We can't continue to play 4 on 5 on that end, while Giannis sags off him and is able to help out on penetration. It wouldn't be as much of an issue if his non-existent offense was alongside Irving and Hayward, but it compounds the problem when we have so much difficulty to generate offense (37% shooting tonight) as is.
Lol do we have to bring back the thread where this guy called Semi trash and a bum?

You most certainly can. His statical performance, if not the eye test alone, would support the opinion that he was a really bad player (aka bum) for the 17-18 season. That said, since I've seen you use your fantasy basketball trades to assess real world player value (I wish I were kidding), then can you please explain what return you'll get from Semi's 2.7 PPG on 34.6% shooting?
It's creepy that you would bring up posts between me and other users that you weren't a part of, especially when you're making false claims. I posted about our Mock Deadline here in response to posters who know how to be respectful and have a conversation. It was just a fun talking piece. Since you're incapable of having that, I understand why you're getting confused.

As for Semi, I am very happy we have him at the end of the bench. His defense on Giannis helped us win this series. Certainly no reason for any sane Celtics fan to call him a bum. But you strike me as more of a just a troll.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2018, 10:52:24 PM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
Good call by CBS. Great job by Semi.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2018, 10:54:45 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Truly happy for Semi.

I TOLD YOU ALL! I TOLD YOU!!

All season long, regulars on here would bash him, saying he lacks confidence, can't develop, can't shoot, will get beat on defense a ton, etc. etc.

Yet in Game 7, the biggest game of his life, he SLOWED down Giannis and played about as great defense as you could on him. Never made it easy and to the point where near the end, Giannis backed down and just fired jump shots/threes since Semi wouldn't let him get to the paint with ease!  ;D

I said despite the early struggles and some lack of confidence, he'd have an impact on a playoff game or two, and he certainly did.

Also, Semi hit two timely shots during the game, and I also thought he made the right passes.

Good work Semi!  8)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2018, 11:01:36 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
I gave him credit last game, but he really needs to brings something, anything, to the table offensively. We can't continue to play 4 on 5 on that end, while Giannis sags off him and is able to help out on penetration. It wouldn't be as much of an issue if his non-existent offense was alongside Irving and Hayward, but it compounds the problem when we have so much difficulty to generate offense (37% shooting tonight) as is.
Lol do we have to bring back the thread where this guy called Semi trash and a bum?

You most certainly can. His statical performance, if not the eye test alone, would support the opinion that he was a really bad player (aka bum) for the 17-18 season. That said, since I've seen you use your fantasy basketball trades to assess real world player value (I wish I were kidding), then can you please explain what return you'll get from Semi's 2.7 PPG on 34.6% shooting?
It's creepy that you would bring up posts between me and other users that you weren't a part of, especially when you're making false claims. I posted about our Mock Deadline here in response to posters who know how to be respectful and have a conversation. It was just a fun talking piece. Since you're incapable of having that, I understand why you're getting confused.

As for Semi, I am very happy we have him at the end of the bench. His defense on Giannis helped us win this series. Certainly no reason for any sane Celtics fan to call him a bum. But you strike me as more of a just a troll.

You made an idiotic comment/comparison so it really stood out. Remembered reading it and thinking you didn't really know what you're talking about.

As for Semi, yeah, I just don't think he's a very good player. Not sure why you consider that "trolling", unless of course a difference of opinion makes one a troll in your eyes. All benches are full of bad players and unless he becomes more than just a one trick pony that's a disaster offensively, I'll continue to have the same mindset regardless of what you may think, fantasy basketball trade examples notwithstanding.

« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2018, 11:45:07 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
Giannis never had the same aggression when Ojeleye was guarding him.  He'd either shoot jumpshots or try to facilitate. 

Proud of the kid.  He has really struggled with his offense this year, but he stepped up in his first playoff series, took on an impossible assignment, and did a better job at it than everybody else we tried.